Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Sending players their own equipment?

I remember there being a post about this topic on the "old" forum. It was about offering former players their jerseys back and sending the items to them. Well has anyone had any success in sending their items through the mail to the player to get signed? I have a couple of jerseys from retired players that are good signers through the mail and was interested to see if anyone had any similar success stories. Thanks!

Re: Sending players their own equipment?

I've done it a few times over the years, all of which were successful. Sent a jersey to Lary Parrish, a bat to Rob Belloir, and a helmet to Jeff Kunkel. I actually called them first and asked if it would be okay. Obviously none of these guys are huge stars, if not barely recognizable outside of their own cities. I really don't even like getting my game used stuff signed. Personally, I can't see how having Reggie Jackson sign his old jersey, especially if it's a flannel, adds value to it. Sharpie sigs on flannels make me sort of cringe anyway.
    Jason T

About 7-8 years ago I sent a Texas Rangers knit jersey to Rick Henninger who had the proverbial cup of coffee with them in the early 1970's. I told him the jersey would mean more to him and his family than it ever would be to me. He called me one evening to thank me & we ended up talking on the phone for 45 minutes or so.

Banned

Skip-

I of course would write and ask the player permission to send the item before I did. How did you send the bat? Just included a smaller self addressed box inside the bigger one?

-AJ

AJ,

I sent pens with every item with post-it notes positioned where I wanted them to sign. As far as return shipping for the bat, Belloir just used the same box, then used stamps that I included for the return.

I ended up giving the bat to him a few years later, much like Ironman did with Henninger. Belloir's a pastor now and was very nice. Like Henninger, he wasn't in the majors too long, so he seemed to appreciate having something from his career.

Jason T