Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Billy Sunday In Uniform: Postcard

Got lucky and spotted this on ebay in a postcard lot....the seller (Isoldit store) had no clue and didn't even mention it.

Re: Billy Sunday In Uniform: Postcard

Not worth much but a cool piece.
    Hope you didn't pay more than $50 for it.

This wasn't the only postcard in the ebay auction....some will go back on ebay listed as singles and some will go to a local consignment auction. I paid $67 for the lot containing 50+ RPPC's from 1908-1910...including a tri-fold panoramic postcard of Indiana, PA. After all is said and done I'm betting I make money and still have the Billy Sunday PC.

That's pretty cool. I have about 10 Billy Sunday postcards my dad gave me in his usual preaching situations. I've never seen one with him in uniform other than the 1800's stuff.

Thanks Clint, I like that "Mother Hubbard" team postcard you posted over on Net54.

ThanksName:  mhbb.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  78.9 KB, Dan. Here's another one that I picked up at a gun show. You never know where you'll make your next score. The guys in back are wearing dresses.

Great stuff....I wonder what the deal was with wearing women's clothes to play baseball....it was pretty common for the era. I wonder why and how it got started? Someone lost a bet?

I always thought they did it as an added attraction to make money. I know that they would use the proceeds to get equipment. Maybe this was their way of getting more people to show up for the games.

Probably....That other pic you posted on Net 54 is great....only one or two of those guys are smiling the rest look awfully mad.

For those that didn't see it on the other site.This is two baseball teams dressed as women.Name:  mhh.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  96.2 KB