Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Almost another perfect game

IMO MLB needs to do the right thing and reverse the call and declare it a perfect game. I would feel differently if it was not the last play but no way should the umpire be able to cost someone a perfect game with a call that was not borderline but terrible and undisputably wrong. As far as the argument that too many perfect games are bad for baseball, baseball is such a great game because anything can happen at any moment. Don Larsen can be perfect in a World Series game, VanDerMeer can throw no hitters in back to back starts, Mike Cameron can hit four home runs in a game, Jason Tyner can hit for the cycle, the Marlins can win the World Series twice in a few years and on and on. A perfect game is a perfect game and just because there were others lately does not make it any easier, imo it is one of the hardest single game feats to achieve in sports. To say that someone should rob someone of that just cheapens the game it is like saying well alot of people hit 50 home runs in the last 15 years so if someone has 49 the last day of the year the umpire should call a ball that is close to being foul but clearly fair foul to prevent him from getting 50 to preserve the sacredness of it. Such just sounds crazy. And why should those who have done it before get to have theirs without anyone ruining it while this player has to be prevented from getting there?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    IMO MLB needs to do the right thing and reverse the call and declare it a perfect game. I would feel differently if it was not the last play but no way should the umpire be able to cost someone a perfect game with a call that was not borderline but terrible and undisputably wrong. As far as the argument that too many perfect games are bad for baseball, baseball is such a great game because anything can happen at any moment. Don Larsen can be perfect in a World Series game, VanDerMeer can throw no hitters in back to back starts, Mike Cameron can hit four home runs in a game, Jason Tyner can hit for the cycle, the Marlins can win the World Series twice in a few years and on and on. A perfect game is a perfect game and just because there were others lately does not make it any easier, imo it is one of the hardest single game feats to achieve in sports. To say that someone should rob someone of that just cheapens the game it is like saying well alot of people hit 50 home runs in the last 15 years so if someone has 49 the last day of the year the umpire should call a ball that is close to being foul but clearly fair foul to prevent him from getting 50 to preserve the sacredness of it. Such just sounds crazy. And why should those who have done it before get to have theirs without anyone ruining it while this player has to be prevented from getting there?

Very well said!!!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

A great post. I would love to see this call overturned. It would do the game no harm and preserve the sanctity of perfect game #21.

it would be cool if it was overturned. would love to have the second Perfect Game from a pitcher who happen to be Hispanic. Baltimore's Denis Martinez being the first.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Another Tribe fan here and my whole family went nuts!!! That guy had a perfect game stolen from him. That is just a shame!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    why not the strikezone? if you mess with the play at first, questioning a third strike is the next progression. its just bad for baseball imho.
    The strike zone is an area that should just be left alone. Balls and strikes can't be argued during the game and it should not be something reviewable just as some plays are not reviewable in football.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    The strike zone is an area that should just be left alone. Balls and strikes can't be argued during the game and it should not be something reviewable just as some plays are not reviewable in football.

Just saying that it opens a can of worm that I would rather just be left alone. Baseball has gone without instant reply for all these years and has survived. I like the human element of the game. Umps make mistakes. They are human. They do need to be accountable when they blow a play. I hope the ump admits his mistake when he gets interviewed. Just admit to the fans you blew it.

It is interesting how technology has changed the game. I bet it technologically possible to make a device that can call strikes and balls. The electonic eye in tennis comes to minds. It's very possible. But I would hate it.

The funny thing is now Houston fans will be attending more games to get the chance to witness a perfect game.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

wow i just made it home and that is crazy. Arguing Balls and stikes would make the games last wayyyyy too long. But i mean come on, this is a perfect game he blew. What would happen if this was the bottom of the 9th in game 7 of the ws and the bases are loaded with two out tied at one and a call is made like this would we not say we need instant replay for crucial plays? i know this scenario seems unlikely but before tonight would any of us have even considered a blown call in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out would cost a kid his pg?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Tigers submit the tape to, I believe the Commissioner's office, to have the play reviewed and possibly overturned? The Brewers tried that a few years back when C.C. one hit the Bucs and had no such luck when it was clearly a hit, but in this case I would imagine that they would overrule the umpire's call.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the Tigers submit the tape to, I believe the Commissioner's office, to have the play reviewed and possibly overturned? The Brewers tried that a few years back when C.C. one hit the Bucs and had no such luck when it was clearly a hit, but in this case I would imagine that they would overrule the umpire's call.
    You have a lot of faith in Selig's judgement.

"According to baseball’s rulebook, only the official scorer may change a judgment scoring call" so I guess its possible.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com