Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Almost another perfect game

Quote Originally Posted by cigarman44 View Post
    We have time limits on history now? And they should only happen when you say so? Got it...

He wasn't safe and wasn't called out so why even try to make an argument out of it?

Since we are playing what if's, I guess you would be ok with it if it would have just happened to Phil Hughes as well...

I'm not going to agrue about my opinion. Sorry my opinion about a play is different than yours. I just feel it would be bad for baseball with so many perfect games. And i would feel the same way if it was a yankee player.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    I heard Galarraga was one out from a perfect game and switched over in time to see the play where the runner was called safe on what would have been the last out. He appeared to be so clearly out that the announcers and I wondered if Galarraga missed the bag. The replay appears to show he touched it and it was a good half step ahead of the runner. If the pithcer touched the bag, and again it sure appeared he did the batter was CLEARLY out. On the last out of the game on a ball hit to first where the pitcher is covering there is no reason for the umpire not to be in perfect position to make the call. You never want to accuse someone of doing something intentionally, but on a play that important where most umpires would have given the benefit of the doubt to the perfect game you have to wonder if the umpire just didn't want him to have the perfect game for some reason. I know its unfair to say something like that but I can't imagine how the umpire "missed" it otherwise. What kind of rep does he have as an umpire?
    But do you think the umpire would want to go down in history for that type of call.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Also what if the base runner was called out but on replay he was safe, that would be worse than what happened.
    He wasn't so that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

The fact is, the runner was out. The bad call cost the guy a shot at immortality. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't feel this way if it was a Yankee pitcher.

There are bad calls in baseball. Its part of the game. A ball-call on a should be strike 3 gets followed by a single that breaks it up, etc. But they say a fielder never wants to break up a no hitter and an umpire shouldn't either.

Oh wait, the umpire was Jim Joyce... Yeah, I think he was looking for a reason to break it up. The guy always seems to call games like the game is all about him. He is horrible.

The rules are a little wacky sometimes too, I think there's been a couple guys that had no hitters through 9 or 10 innings, but didn't get credit because it was a tie game - only counts if its a complete game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

I'm not going to agrue about my opinion. Sorry my opinion about a play is different than yours. I just feel it would be bad for baseball with so many perfect games. And i would feel the same way if it was a yankee player.
    No Camp,

He said he would feel the same. My ass...

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    He wasn't so that doesn't really matter in this discussion.

The fact is, the runner was out. The bad call cost the guy a shot at immortality. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't feel this way if it was a Yankee pitcher.

There are bad calls in baseball. Its part of the game. A ball-call on a should be strike 3 gets followed by a single that breaks it up, etc. But they say a fielder never wants to break up a no hitter and an umpire shouldn't either.

Oh wait, the umpire was Jim Joyce... Yeah, I think he was looking for a reason to break it up. The guy always seems to call games like the game is all about him. He is horrible.

The rules are a little wacky sometimes too, I think there's been a couple guys that had no hitters through 9 or 10 innings, but didn't get credit because it was a tie game - only counts if its a complete game.
    i think there has been 6-7 times where a pitcher had a perfect game thru the 9th but the team could not score a run for him. perfect games are as much a combination of skill and luck.

read this book 27 Men Out for details on an umpire role in a perfect game.
    http://www.amazon.com/27-Men-Out-Bas...5529252&sr=1-6
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Are you even reading what your typing? Your saying you dont want a perfect game because it would be the third in the month? Seriously? So does that make it any more or less difficult? Come on now...
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Some unsolicited observations:

Jim Joyce has 22 years as an MLB ump. ESPN analysts tonight said he would from here on out always be pointed at and spoken of as the guy who robbed Gallarraga of a perfect game.

Joyce has a face I would slap even if I didn't know the guy.

Jim Leyland fired off on Joyce like he was definitely gonna get some blood. All the Tigers players/coaches/manager on the field who lost their cool and simply verbally assailed Jim Joyce showed tremendous restraint. I would have been a Cabrera many-fold and probably worse.

The runner was definitely out. Not even close, even on TV as it happened. You are so rooting for this dramatic final play's success and I just had a flashbulb go off like it was Game 6 of the '86 WS and Mookie just hit the grounder. Stunning, irreversible finality.

My head is hurting and I'm going to bed. Good night.

It isn't even close.

The guy was out!!!!

Selig should overturn the umps decision and make it a perfect game!!!!!

Grow a set Bud and do what it right for the game!

Instant replay is badly needed in baseball, give each manager two or three challenges per game...........
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    It isn't even close.

The guy was out!!!!

Selig should overturn the umps decision and make it a perfect game!!!!!

Grow a set Bud and do what it right for the game!

Instant replay is badly needed in baseball, give each manager two or three challenges per game...........
    I was just saying to my family that I wish they could overturn that. I'm not sure what I think about replay yet, but it really looks nice after an ump messes something that big up.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

BTW, even MLB.com has the story line right.....

"Missed call ends Galarraga's perfect bid"

Here's a link to see replay......

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...