Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

If you can't make it here you can make it in Japan lol

I thought this was a pretty cool article I stumbled across.

Tuffy Rhodes mad a big splash against the Mets on opening day in 1994
    April 4, 1:49 PMNY Baseball History ExaminerNicholas Diunte

Tuffy Rhodes

Sixteen years ago, Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes lit up Doc Gooden for three homeruns on Opening Day in 1994. Collectors ran to snatch up his rookie cards and fantasy league owners searched the waiver wire hoping he would continue at his torrid pace. At the end of April he was batting .313 with six homeruns. Unfortunately for Rhodes and those who followed him, he could not maintain his fast start. Rhodes would only hit two more homers that season and finish with a .234 average.
    Somewhere in this story, there is a silver lining and Rhodes' performance in April would foreshadow his prodigious homerun ability. Little did we know it would come in an unlikely place, Japan. Two seasons later, Rhodes signed with the Kinetsu Buffaloes and played 13 seasons in Japanese baseball, amassing 464 home runs, 1,269 RBIs and 1,792 hits, all of which are the highest totals ever produced by a foreigner in Japan.
    Rhodes was still active at age 41 at the end of the 2009 season. He recently spoke about his plans for the 2010 season, as well as reflected upon his career in Japan. You can read the entire interview by clicking here.
    Many players on this Opening Day would readily trade places with the career that Rhodes had abroad after his star faded quickly in the United States.
    More Info -
    Tuffy Rhodes reaches a crossroads - BaseballHappenings.net

Re: If you can't make it here you can make it in Japan lol

I have a real good friend who has been playing in Japan for 8 seasons. His name is Brian Sikorski. He's now with Siebu. He has played for Yamori, Chibba, and Yakult. He knows Tuffy real well and, after talking to him recently, he's amazed no team has tried to sign him. Japan is a real pain in the a_ _ for foreign players. Brian made the all-star games last year, and felt unwanted by most associated with the games. They really don't like foreigners playing there. I met a former high draft pick from the Cubs, who made it to the big leagues, then went to Japan and made some good money, Julio Zuletta. He game me a sweet autographed bat, Mizuno, with a huge knob. Brian played for 2 seasons for Bobby Valentine. I met him, and , after some small talk, asked me if I could see the difference between the Majors and Japan. Same game, different culture of play. To long to get into. I've got game used uniforms from Brian from Chibba ( one is a full TBTC uniform), Tokyo Giants, and have a Seibu coming. The Giants jersey I had Sadahara Oh autograph and it's now my most treasured jersey among my 300 or so. Extremely energetic fans, something to see, way more excited than over here.

Banned

Wow. he is STILL active. It seems like forever ago he had that big opening day look at all Gooden has been through in that time. It is funny though that of all the players that Japan has sent over here only two position players have really ever made it: Ichiro and Matsui. For the pitchers Nomo and Sasaki were very good and Dice K and Saito have had their moments. but there have been so many busts: Sinjo, Kaz Ishi, the other Matsui, so Tagaghi, the guy who was on the Sox and Padres and played second base, the guy currently on the Cubs, Irabu, Petit, etc. all those guys were stars over there so it shows you it is tougher to play over here.

Quote Originally Posted by jtnatalierica View Post
    I have a real good friend who has been playing in Japan for 8 seasons. His name is Brian Sikorski. He's now with Siebu. He has played for Yamori, Chibba, and Yakult. He knows Tuffy real well and, after talking to him recently, he's amazed no team has tried to sign him. Japan is a real pain in the a_ _ for foreign players. Brian made the all-star games last year, and felt unwanted by most associated with the games. They really don't like foreigners playing there. I met a former high draft pick from the Cubs, who made it to the big leagues, then went to Japan and made some good money, Julio Zuletta. He game me a sweet autographed bat, Mizuno, with a huge knob. Brian played for 2 seasons for Bobby Valentine. I met him, and , after some small talk, asked me if I could see the difference between the Majors and Japan. Same game, different culture of play. To long to get into. I've got game used uniforms from Brian from Chibba ( one is a full TBTC uniform), Tokyo Giants, and have a Seibu coming. The Giants jersey I had Sadahara Oh autograph and it's now my most treasured jersey among my 300 or so. Extremely energetic fans, something to see, way more excited than over here.
    Hello,
    I like Sikorski & Tuffy.
    Sikorski is active in Seibu Lions this year as the closer.
    Tuffy was active in Orix Buffalos until last year.
    However, he is not playing this year because he fractured last year.
    I am collecting the game used jerseys of japanese baseball, could you sell or trade the jersey to me?