Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jerseys w/ misspelled NOB

So, I meant to post this question earlier, but I picked up an interesting jersey at the Fenway yard sale. It is an Ellis Burks jersey from 1994, all correct tagging and shows good use... The odd thing about it is the name on back is spelled "Burkes" (not the correct, Burks).

I'm surprised a player would wear it (and more than once by the condition of it).

I can post pics later if anybody wants to see it. It's certainly an interesting example of an error gamer... Anybody else own misspelled jerseys (or have seen any)?

—emann
    grindcrank@gmail.com

Banned

Re: Jerseys w/ misspelled NOB

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    So, I meant to post this question earlier, but I picked up an interesting jersey at the Fenway yard sale. It is an Ellis Burks jersey from 1994, all correct tagging and shows good use... The odd thing about it is the name on back is spelled "Burkes" (not the correct, Burks).

I'm surprised a player would wear it (and more than once by the condition of it).

I can post pics later if anybody wants to see it. It's certainly an interesting example of an error gamer... Anybody else own misspelled jerseys (or have seen any)?

—emann
    grindcrank@gmail.com
    Last year Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn played several innings in jerseys that incorrectly spelled "Nationals".

Not exactly misspelled, but last year Darren O'Day wore a Kason Gabbard jersey in his Rangers debut.

I saw an Alan Trammell Cubs jersey from last year on eBay that the seller said he purchased at the convention. The jersey had his name spelled "Trammel" and it was claimed that he wore the jersey for a game before they could get him a new one. I have not seen a picture confirming the story...

When Wayne Gretzky got traded to the Rangers he wore a jersey with his name mispelled Greztky I believe. If it can happen to him then it can happen to anyone!

Mike Alstott wore "Alsott" on the back of his jersey for his first two games in the NFL. When he retired the Bucs presented him with a current Bucs jersey and a Bucs jersey that was the style he wore his rookie year. The retirement jersey included the misspelling.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Last year Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn played several innings in jerseys that incorrectly spelled "Nationals".
    They were just re-telling that story about how they were told in the dugout (I think the 3rd inning) that they needed to put on new jerseys. One of them said, "Is this a historic game", because the players themselves didn't realize it as it was a fan that alerted the team to the issue of the embroidery mishap of the team name on the front of the jersey.

Like Joel said they auctioned off the Dunn jersey at the Dream Foundation dinner for almost $8,000 last year, and they still have the Zimmerman jersey to auction off.

joelsabi said: someone one here has a jersey where the Nationals is misspelled Natinals and it received national attention. the dunn jersey sold for $8K
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post

Like Joel said they auctioned off the Dunn jersey at the Dream Foundation dinner for almost $8,000 last year, and they still have the Zimmerman jersey to auction off.
    You would think they would want to auction off the Zimmerman sooner rather than later. My feeling is that the further you get from the event and news coverage the less aggressive bidders would be. It would be a great item and great conversation piece regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by dcgreg25 View Post
    You would think they would want to auction off the Zimmerman sooner rather than later. My feeling is that the further you get from the event and news coverage the less aggressive bidders would be. It would be a great item and great conversation piece regardless.
    Re-attaching my photo. I also checked and the Dunn was $8,500! Zim jersey would go for more than that most likely as they would do it in the "Live" auction and re-hype the whole thing.

Name:  dunn_natinals.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  16.9 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

It's nice that the Nationals were able to turn a negative into such a positive -- from bad press to a donation of $15-20K to charity...that's pretty damn good in my book!

Only other time I can recall something like this happening in a professional game was when Adam Riggs dressed up in an Angels jersey that said "ANGEES" instead. Does anyone legitimately know what happened to this "piece of history"? There are all sorts of stories and rumors out there...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com