RIPKEN HELMET IN GREY FLANNELS AUCTION

October 31 2005 at 3:34 PM HOWARD WOLF (Login hblakewolf)

Hello Forum readers-

Please take a look at lot 601 in the Grey Flannel auction, Ripken 1998 helmet Note the orange 8 on the brim. I have a 1998 Ripken game used helmet, and have owned several 1997-1999 O's helmets. The O's used a 2-tone number (orange ourtlined in white) in 1998, not single digit as seen on this helmet.

Any comments?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

AuthorReply

HOWARD WOLF
(Login hblakewolf)
RE: ORANGE 8 ON THE RIP HELMET IN GREY FLANNELS AUCTION

October 31 2005, 3:47 PM
As an addition, the O's used numbers on the BACK of the helmets in 1998, not the brim. Ripken did have a flapless "catchers style" helmet he often wore for BP, and it had a single colored 8 on the bill. I have never seen the O's use this single tone number on their batting helmets in 1998, and especially not on the bill.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

HOWARD WOLF
(Login hblakewolf)
Rip 8

October 31 2005, 4:12 PM
Fellow readers-
I stand corrected. In 1997 and 1998, the O's had a single orange digit, however, it is not the standard type as found at an office supply store (i.e., Staples). They had an interesting style, not "block". If you search Getty Images, you will find it.

Regardless, they O's did not use any numbers on the bills of their 1997 or 1998 helmets, rather, only on the back. The helmet offered in Grey Flannels auction not only has a style of number never seen on a 1997/98 O's helmet, it also has it on the bill.

Sorry for the confusion and earlier incomplete posts.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

HOWARD WOLF
(Login hblakewolf)
GREY FLANNEL RIPKEN HELMET REMOVED?

November 8 2005, 3:12 PM
Forum readers-
It has ben brought to my attention that this lot in question, #601 Ripken helmet, is no longer listed on the auction site.

Does anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

rudy
(Login kingjammy)
no insight, only pictures

November 8 2005, 4:03 PM

while i have no insight as to the removal, i do have a fancy collage showing
ripken in 1998 for those interested. also included is the aforementioned flapless catchers helmet for bp. enjoy!

Rudy.

HOWARD WOLF
(Login hblakewolf)
No Insight, only pictures.

November 8 2005, 4:19 PM
Rudy-
Exactly as I noted in my previous post. Although Rudy's photos show orange numbers, these are some type of custom style. These are not the standard type of stock orange numbers found at Staples or an office supply store. The helmet Grey flannel DID have in their auction had the standard office supply type, not the style as shown on Rudy's photos.

With this said, does anyone know what happended to this helmet in the Grey Flannel current auction? It was lot 601.

Rudy, you are the best!

Thanks.
Howard Wolf