Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

NY Giants flannel

I'm sure most of you might've seen this already, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on it. If it's real, I would think the seller would be better off using a true auction house rather than eBay. Anyway, this isn't my area of specialty but it looks pretty cool.

-Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/1907-NEW-YORK-GI...QQcmdZViewItem
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Re: NY Giants flannel

Jason- Thanks. I hadn't seen this.

Unfortunately I can tell you with 100% certainty this is not a 1907 jersey. The Spalding tag clearly dates it to post 1915 (1915-mid 1920s). Much more is known today about Spalding tagging then years ago when this was acquired or even as recently as 2003 when the GF LOA was written. There is no possible way on god's green earth that GF, Mears, or anyone else could authenticate this as a 1907 NY Giants jersey today. Paying a lot for this toay thinking is was 1907 would be a big mistake - and whoever bought it years ago believing it was 1907 made a mistake.

-Joe
    http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the insight. Aside from it not being an '07 jersey, is it still possible that it's a true Giants gamer? Looks like there are quite a few people willing to take a (pretty expensive) chance on it.
    -Jason
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Considering later year Giant's jerseys looked nothing like this I would say there is no chance. Giants Jerseys from the 10's and 20's were completely different. The reason the seller is probably selling over ebay and not from a true auction house is because a true auction house would/should reject this as authentic in a heart beat. There 4-5 people so far willing to take a chance...all I can say is they just don't know what they are looking at.

OK..a T206 with the same looking jersey...so what? The jersey for sale does look like a 1907 Giant jersey, I am not disputing that, it just isn't from 1907 - it's much later. Since Giant's jerseys from later didn't look like this, it's not a Giants jersey and it's not from 1907. This is a c. 1920 jersey with an "NY" on it...that's it.

The more I look at this the more I think it's a complete Joke. The Textile letter just says it's wool and there is not evidene of synthetic materials and moden detergents - it does not confirm the age of the materials by an stretch.

The GF opinion is completely worthless...it says NOTHING other than "it came from an impeccable source" and "an outside forensic laboratory that has confirmed the age of all the material"...what a JOKE.

I am not disputing you. When I saw the jersey it reminded me of the Rube Marquard I used to own. That is all.

The guy probably listed it as a 1907 Giants jersey because it best matches the 1907 picture in Marc Okkonen's uniform book that came out 15 years ago. I also never heard of "McGitolly." At least he didn't try to pass it off as McGinnity.