Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outrageous Jersey Numbers

I read this newspaper article and was wondering what other outrageous or out of the ordinary jersey numbers have been used.

I think Gaedel, the midget, used "1/2" for one at bat for the White Sox.

not sure if the 112 really was worn by Alberto Callaspo or was "game issued" hanging on his locker.

http://fromthedugout.ocregister.com/...-angels/61603/
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Outrageous Jersey Numbers

Some notables...

Benito Santiago, Marlins: wore "09" after he realized that his usual #9 would be covered by the strap from his chest protector.

99 was worn by Mets reliever Turk Wendell and is now worn by Manny...

Many players wore 0 and 00 (about a dozen or so).
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post

He wore 1/8.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I read this newspaper article and was wondering what other outrageous or out of the ordinary jersey numbers have been used.

He played for the St. Louis Browns. I think the term that civilized people use today, is "little person".

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    He played for the St. Louis Browns. I think the term that civilized people use today, is "little person".
    Thats 2 strikes on me. I'm blaming this on jetlag.

Thanks for the corrections.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Some notables...

Benito Santiago, Marlins: wore "09" after he realized that his usual #9 would be covered by the strap from his chest protector.

99 was worn by Mets reliever Turk Wendell and is now worn by Manny...

Many players wore 0 and 00 (about a dozen or so).
    The number "99" is an interesting one because it has sort of become like a "cult following" (lack of a better word). Some guys just like to take that number just to be "out there". Manny Ramirez took it after a whole debacle with the number 24 and 28 with the Dodgers. Once he finally agreed to wear 28 after originally rejecting it, the Dodgers told him that it was too late because they already had 99 shirts out with his name on it. Brian Bruney wore 99 last year and Collin Balester is wearing it now. There are many players now days that get stuck or chose high numbers in baseball which was always considered an oddity and some teams wouldn't even make numbers that were high.

7 foot 6 inch Shawn Bradley wore number "76" for the 76ers.

not sure if the 112 really was worn by Alberto Callaspo or was "game issued" hanging on his locker.

http://fromthedugout.ocregister.com/...-angels/61603/

Gaedel wore the # 1/8 and his one plate appearance was for the St.Louis Browns I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Exclamation Re: Outrageous Jersey Numbers

This is out there, sports AND numberwise, but, being a SoCal guy, Warren may remeber it.

Back in the 1970s, the Los Angeles Thunderbirds were possibly the most popular roller derby franchise in the country. The team's Sunday games were sent out to be broadcast on independent stations all over the U.S. (Chicago got them on Channel 32, now our Fox station). One of the team's blockers was a huge woman named Erlene Brown. Because of her ample size (and the fact that her body was large enough to accommodate it), she wore uniform number 747!

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    This is out there, sports AND numberwise, but, being a SoCal guy, Warren may remeber it.

Back in the 1970s, the Los Angeles Thunderbirds were possibly the most popular roller derby franchise in the country. The team's Sunday games were sent out to be broadcast on independent stations all over the U.S. (Chicago got them on Channel 32, now our Fox station). One of the team's blockers was a huge woman named Erlene Brown. Because of her ample size (and the fact that her body was large enough to accommodate it), she wore uniform number 747!

Dave Miedema
    Dave
    I've only lived in L.A. for 14 years, so my memories of 1970s SoCal are nonexistent. Fred G. Sanford loved roller derby, so if he liked it...it's OK in my book. Some of the durene roller derby jerseys that have hit the market are true relics! In 1997, I could have bought one for $20 (I passed). I didn't know what sport it was from. It had custom tags from a Sporting Goods place in Compton. I think they distributed jerseys for the entire league, not just L.A. Some of the 50s and 60s roller derby jerseys are made exactly like football jerseys, with no name just front and back numerals.
    Also, that Earlene Brown lady was a former Olympian.