Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Mets Sid Fernandez & Agbayani Jerseys

My synopsis on the Sid jersey...others to follow.

The first is a 1993 Sid Fernandez Mets road jersey.
    Year is fine; 1993 was Sid’s last year in New York

The manufacturer is Russell Athletic
    That’s correct for 1993; Russell was the exclusive manufacturer of all Mets jerseys from 1992-1994

and there is a cloth wash tag and a Diamond Collection logo with size 52
    Sounds ok but I cannot tell without seeing the tag. Not sure if Sid ever wore a jersey this large either. I have one of his earlier jerseys and it is much smaller.

There also appears to be the remnants of a white plastic-like tag under the maufacturer's wash tag, but it appears that what was originally not under the cloth tag was clipped so no information is available.
    Again, sounds like what should be there; however, I have handled a lot of these jerseys and have never seen one with a clipped tag

There is no other tagging to indicate uniform number, size, year, and set #
    This is correct for these jerseys; specifically Mets Russells from 1993 and 1994

The New York is in blue/orange/white script with a blue/orange/white bar below the city name.
    Correct logo

The blue in the middle of the New York is dark blue with no texture to the material.
    Correct

There is a velcro strip on the inside of the button line on the front in place of a button.
    Correct

There is a round Mets ball/skyline logo on the left sleeve which seems to be authentic.
    Sounds ok but I cannot vouch without seeing the patch; there have been several variations depending on years

There is no neck-to-sleeve trim running along the shoulder down to the arms as other Mets uniforms may have had.
    This trim ceased in 1992, so correct

There is an embroidered blue R on the right sleeve and the number 50 on the back with no other number shown on the front.
    Sounds good

Are there any other characteristics I should check out?
    Is there blue and orange trim on the jersey? Specifically on the sleeve endings?
    Name on back in correct font and size?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeenuts View Post

Is Russell Athletic the correct manufacturer? There also appears to be the remnants of a white plastic-like tag under the maufacturer's wash tag, but it appears that what was originally not under the cloth tag was clipped so no information is available. I have seen other Russell Athletic wash tags, but they tended to have the white plastic-like tag which indicated 100% polyester or some information like that. .
    I found an alleged 1993 Mets Home jersey Ebay listing. It is a Russell.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=270513534868
    photo attached. Maybe Nick can tell if the listing is legit and then you can compare your jersey with the one listed, even though one is a road and other is a home jersey.

As far as the tagging, look at this thread by Rudy on Russell Tagging. The example of the tag in the thread would date the Stephenson jersey to earlier than 1993.

Does your washing tag have four lines or five lines of instruction? It should be 4 lines on yours. Also notice the Diamond logo needs to be slanted in an angle instead of straight to be in the 1993-1995 tagging period.

Patches on the jersey may narrow it to 1993 but that’s not my expertise on knowing Mets patches from these periods.

Russell tag reference: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=1050

Another fact that would be helpful on your 1993 jersey is if name is on a nameplate or not. This would be helpful to Nick as well without photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I found an alleged 1993 Mets Home jersey Ebay listing. It is a Russell.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=270513534868
    photo attached. Maybe Nick can tell if the listing is legit and then you can compare your jersey with the one listed, even though one is a road and other is a home jersey.
    As far as the tagging, look at this thread by Rudy on Russell Tagging. The example of the tag in the thread would date the Stephenson jersey to earlier than 1993.
    Another fact that would be helpful on your 1993 jersey is if name is on a nameplate or not. This would be helpful to Nick as well without photos.
    On all 3 points above...

1. The Stephenson jersey is a good jersey. I saw it in person. A friend of mine is the seller. The tagging is exactly as expected on this jersery.

2. The tagging on both the Kent and Stephenson jerseys appear to be spot on to the 1992 and 1993 Mets jerseys I have seen. Keep in mind that Rudy's post spoke of 1992 being the first year in which Russell got the MLB contract. He then shows an example of a 1993 in his description for the 1992. I would read into this that although the tag may have changed sometime in 1993, there would be many 93s out there with the original tag. I have other examples I could share.

3. The Mets stopped putting nameplates on their jersey in 1986. Everything from 1987 onwards had letters sewn directly onto the jerseys.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com