Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Questions re: Steiner Authenication - NY Mets

I had a couple of question about Steiner Authentication since I am not very familiar with their process. I just picked up a Corey Dunlap bat that was authenticated by them but there has never been a player by this name in the Mets organization (minor or majors). Checked the Baseball Cube & Baseball Reference and the only Cory/Corey Dunlap that has ever played was in the Dodgers organization between 2004-07. He did play in the same league as the St. Lucie Mets for two years so maybe this bat got mixed in with some of theirs prior to authenticating? Has anyone else run across this with Steiner Authenticated items? Is it common for Steiner to authenticate items from other players/teams and everything would just gets listed as Mets/Yankees/Dodgers since I'm sure they don't cross-check names especially with minor league stuff? Thanks!

Please wait
    Image not available

Re: Questions re: Steiner Authenication - NY Mets

Dewey,

Steiner had the Mets contract from 2006 to 2007. I was not uncommon for them to receive minor league items. For example, they still have boat loads of game used helmets from various Mets farm teams of this era on their website (St. Lucie, Savannah, Brooklyn, Binghamton, etc.).

I would venture a guess that this item came to Steiner through the Mets minor league system. If Dunlap was in the same league as the St. Lucie Mets during this era, it is more than possible that his bat got mixed in with the bats that Steiner acquired from the Mets affiliate. Another possibility is that a St. Lucie player could have borrowed Dunlap's bat?

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

This has come up before. A few years ago Steiner sold a Miguel Tejada gamer with a Steiner-Mets COA. I called me Steiner Rep. he said it was a bat left in the visting clubhouse at Shea. The scary part is my rep admitted that there was no way to verify who actually used the bat or when and it was reflected in the price. So my guess is it was left in a clubhouse or dugout somewhere. Steiner is not the only ones to do this. The mets now sell their own gu stuff and last July they auctioned a Manny Ramirez gamer that was left at Citifield.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Dewey,

Steiner had the Mets contract from 2006 to 2007. I was not uncommon for them to receive minor league items. For example, they still have boat loads of game used helmets from various Mets farm teams of this era on their website (St. Lucie, Savannah, Brooklyn, Binghamton, etc.).

I would venture a guess that this item came to Steiner through the Mets minor league system. If Dunlap was in the same league as the St. Lucie Mets during this era, it is more than possible that his bat got mixed in with the bats that Steiner acquired from the Mets affiliate. Another possibility is that a St. Lucie player could have borrowed Dunlap's bat?

Nick
    Thanks Nick! That makes sense and kind of what I figured especially since you confirmed the time frame was during 2006. It might have been borrowed by a St. Lucie player but from the pics the mota stick application and ball mark placement match up exactly with an Old Hickory Dunlap bat I have too.

In any case it's my first misspelled name bat. His first name should actually be spelled Cory.

I agree with the previous posts but will also add that if Dunlap was in the Dodgers organization as you researched, the COA might simply be on the wrong Steiner letterhead as they had a contract with the Dodgers for a couple years (overlapping the Mets contract) and instead of "Mets-Steiner" it should possibly read "Dodgers-Steiner". It has happened before where Steiner simply doesn't change the stationery or typeset before printing a LOA of this type.