Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: any ideas on who this is?

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Just to add to all of this.

If you pay close attention the First initial of the First name is either a N or an R.

The last letter of the last name is either a C or possibly a D.

I would first research either whose names match that spelling during the time period of the labeling period of the bat or see who wore #7 during that time period and then research what teamates that player had during the time period.

Chances are your going to have to go over full rosters and even spring training rosters. Last minute call ups and so on.
    Great observation. Looked at AAA Oakland affiliate for 1999 fro same website I got the team roster. There's a tab for minor league teams.
    Search likely suspect on ebay. Bingo on first attempt. Marc Newfield.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

wow Joel your the man!! I never would have figured that out

thank you

awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    My next step would be to scan the list and see if any of the names looks like the name on the bat and then go to ebay and compare autograph for those players. If it's not a match I put a NO on a new VERIFIED column on the spreadsheet and go to the next suspect. If there are no sigs on ebay to compare then I google the name and use the photo link looking for signed baseballs and photos.

Good luck on the mystery. This is my process for looking up names on Team signed baseballs.
    Joel -

I had to laugh because that is my method on team or multi-signed balls as well!

- Chris

Finally we figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Joel -

I had to laugh because that is my method on team or multi-signed balls as well!

- Chris
    Chris,

Like minds use the same tools. For some reason a spreadsheet calms me when doing any repetitive task and as you know deciphering a team baseball can be very time consuming. The spreadsheet reminds me of what I have tried and what possibilities are left. And then there are the players who sign the baseballs twice and confuse the heck out of me.

Getting back to the bat, Nick (TNTtoys) narrowed the bat to a certain labeling period, assisted immensely as the label period for this particular bat was short. I thought WadeInBmore cracked it wide open with the uniform number info but looking at ebay sig samples for the two suspects looked wrong.

Jason's (suave1477) suggested letter location on the sig made it easy to narrow down possible suspects on the spreadsheet. It made me want to attempt a quick catch. When nothing seemed to fit after a quick scan, I went with the possibility of a veteran (non-block letter SLV bat) back in the minors. I got lucky and recognized Newfield’s name as a hot prospect from the Mariner’s organization in the early 90’s (ARod Teammate) when I looked at the 1999 AAA Oakland team roster. His rookie card happens to be in the same set as Jim Thome. Sadly, Newfield never played for the A’s in 1999 and his contract was sold to the Red Sox, where he further declined to AA level in the same year. I remember bunions being his chronic problem when he was a prospect and card dealers regularly dumped his rookie cards. BTW, Newfield bats rightie if you want to further investigate.

OaklandAsFan, glad we were able to help.

WadeINBMore, What’s your source to look up uniform numbers? Could you post a link?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Joel...

I use the baseball almanac.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/index.shtml

Between the almanac and Baseball Reference you can pretty much figure just about anything out...technically speaking.

On the almanac you can look up by the player OR by the Team and pick the specific year that you are looking for. The site is easy to use and pretty straight forward I think. Hope I am introducing you to a new tool

This was a fun thread to participate in AND we figured it out!!! Good fun.

wade

Quote Originally Posted by WadeInBmore View Post
    Joel...

I use the baseball almanac.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/index.shtml

Between the almanac and Baseball Reference you can pretty much figure just about anything out...technically speaking.

On the almanac you can look up by the player OR by the Team and pick the specific year that you are looking for. The site is easy to use and pretty straight forward I think. Hope I am introducing you to a new tool

This was a fun thread to participate in AND we figured it out!!! Good fun.

wade
    Wade,

Thanks for the link. This is a new tool for my research arsenal. I just glanced and there's also a baseball card database. Need to check it out.

I agree. It was good fun.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Great observation. Looked at AAA Oakland affiliate for 1999 fro same website I got the team roster. There's a tab for minor league teams.
    Search likely suspect on ebay. Bingo on first attempt. Marc Newfield.
    Nice detective work.