Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: NBA All-Star Jerseys

And for the person that said they should make two sets of allstar jerseys. They actually do but as Barry said one set is gifted to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    A limit is not a bad business idea at all. Stores do it all the time with hot products and ticketmaster does it with event tickets. Any business that relies on one customer to sustain it is on risky ground. I mean what if he dies tommorrow or suffers an unexpected business reversal? The demand is very high and there are precious few of the top jerseys available on the market so prices would not drop off as much as people might think, they may even rise because once he hits the limit people will keep bidding because they feel they can actually win rather than just bid him up. Plus it would create a secondary market as people sell stuff off as most collectors inevitably do whether it is because they need the money or want new stuff, etc. Which the basketball game used hobby defintely needs you see MLB authentic, Steiner and team certified baseball items, you see NFl auctions, team, Jo and steiner certified football items and MEIgray and team certified hockey items being sold here, by various dealers and on auction sites all the time but you rarely see that with basketball. As far as the people telling people to go find better jobs just to bid on jerseys it is doubtful that there are many jobs that pay you so much that you have a few hundred thousand a year to spend on jerseys. And the idea of placing extremely high bids won't work because ok maybe someone tries that and it works that once or a few times but is anyone going to keep trying it? The idea is to keep as many people interested and involved in the hobby as possible because it benefits all of us.
    I disagree...

Ticketmaster does it because they don't want the scalpers making more money off the tickets than they can. They only do it to keep their name synonymous with ordering tickets and not "Joe's Tickets". It's purely a ploy to keep their name in people's minds.

Stores do it for a couple reasons. For one, to drive up interest. If somebody tells you that you can have a limited amount of things, that automatically makes you want to know "why?". "Is it going to be a really special item that will go up in value? Why can I only have 1? I want more!" Also, they do it so they can get more customers through their door in hopes of having them buy some other stuff while they're in there. For stores, it's all about foot traffic (or online traffic, whichever you'd prefer). If one person comes in and buys 100 Nintendo Wii's, there's a lot less chance that other items will sell. If 100 people come in to buy one each, there's a good % of people who will buy other stuff while they're there.

But, in an auction format and with something that are one of a kind items, it makes no business sense. The only thing they do by limiting items, is limit their income. Something that nobody is going to sign up for... especially in an economy like this and they've got somebody buying used socks for $700+. Just not gonna happen IMO.

this is becoming repetitive, I guarantee we will be having these same posts again when next week's round of auctions conclude. let me ask this, those who are complaining about this, are you just going to sit there and complain some more or will you pick yourself up and do something about it (like consider bidding a little, just a little higher?)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skinsfan0521 View Post
    I disagree...

Ticketmaster does it because they don't want the scalpers making more money off the tickets than they can. They only do it to keep their name synonymous with ordering tickets and not "Joe's Tickets". It's purely a ploy to keep their name in people's minds.

Stores do it for a couple reasons. For one, to drive up interest. If somebody tells you that you can have a limited amount of things, that automatically makes you want to know "why?". "Is it going to be a really special item that will go up in value? Why can I only have 1? I want more!" Also, they do it so they can get more customers through their door in hopes of having them buy some other stuff while they're in there. For stores, it's all about foot traffic (or online traffic, whichever you'd prefer). If one person comes in and buys 100 Nintendo Wii's, there's a lot less chance that other items will sell. If 100 people come in to buy one each, there's a good % of people who will buy other stuff while they're there.

But, in an auction format and with something that are one of a kind items, it makes no business sense. The only thing they do by limiting items, is limit their income. Something that nobody is going to sign up for... especially in an economy like this and they've got somebody buying used socks for $700+. Just not gonna happen IMO.
    Oh I know a limit will never happen I am just arguing that if it did it would benefit everyone. And with your point on stores using limits to stimulate interest in other items applies here as well. After people get a few jerseys and start to build a collection then maybe they will bid more often or buy some from MEIgray's site to add to their collection. Or bid or buy accessory items to go with it ie shorts, warmups etc. Plus if people are limited it creates a strong secondary market because now the collector has a jersey he wants to unload that JT or some other wellheeled collector wanted but was unable to obtain because of the limit. Then such collectors will bid on or buy that jersey resulting in possibly a higher price on the secondary market and the collector making money. And in no way I am saying the limit should be one item either but should vary by the number of items up for auction like if there are ten items say noone can get more than seven. This way MEIgray/nba still makes big money because there will be furious bidding on the items that are left.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    And for the person that said they should make two sets of allstar jerseys. They actually do but as Barry said one set is gifted to the players.
    I mean make both set available for auction. The players dont need there items. lol

Jojo

besides MeiGray, who else sells game used basketball jerseys? I know Beckett Media has several, like a Steve Nash game worn road jersey that ended last night, but anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    besides MeiGray, who else sells game used basketball jerseys? I know Beckett Media has several, like a Steve Nash game worn road jersey that ended last night, but anyone else?
    I would only feel comfortable buying NBA game used stuff from MeiGray. It is huge they got hooked up with NBA. Before them, NBA game used stuff was wild west. With pro cuts getting passed off as gamers left and right.

legal - I see that we both basically agree, but I'm still doubting that it would benefit Meigray/NBA to get somebody interested in buying a $100 wristband instead of having this jt guy spend $30k on a jersey cuz he's in a bidding war. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    Of course. Pro-Am Sports/gameuseduniforms.com and Ball Park Heroes each get a ton of stuff. There are others, as well, but these two are pretty big outfits.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Of course. Pro-Am Sports/gameuseduniforms.com and Ball Park Heroes each get a ton of stuff. There are others, as well, but these two are pretty big outfits.
    BPH don't have many basketball items for sale these days. As for GWU, looks like they don't distinguish GI from GU, they just sell all their jerseys as Game Used, not to mention many of the prices are pretty crazy.