Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Manny Ramirez bat question

There also shouldnt be any ballmarks on the back of the barrel as Manny is a label up hitter. From the pics, it looks like there are ballmarks on the right barrel. The wear on the end of the barrel also doesnt match up...

Well, it looks like I will be contacting the seller for a refund. I guess I put a little too much faith in the coa.

And just for reference, here is the PSA cert number....E36967

Thanks again everyone.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about these 2003 "Game Used" Manny bats with the MR24 Hologram and LOA from Manny himself?

I have had this bat for 6 years and cant find anything out about it....

Thanks!

Jeremy

macleodjeremy@hotmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I've been in email contact with John Taube explaining what is going on. I told him how some of the Manny collectors here didn't feel it was a Manny game used bat.

His questions to me were what were you reasons for thinking it was not used by Manny and did any of you see every at bat of Manny's in 2007?

Obviously I don't think anyone saw every at bat, but I would love to hear why you all believe it is NOT a Manny game used bat.

I am also in contact with Joe Orlando about this and will be sharing any information you all can give me with him.

Thank you for all the help everyone!

The one thing i can tell right away(I am no manny collector) is that the characteristics are off. Pine tar, ball marks, etc

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Has anyone seen or heard anything about these 2003 "Game Used" Manny bats with the MR24 Hologram and LOA from Manny himself?

I have had this bat for 6 years and cant find anything out about it....

Thanks!

Jeremy

macleodjeremy@hotmail.com
    What does the handle look like? Any ball marks? Can't really tell from just the barrel.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
    I've been in email contact with John Taube explaining what is going on. I told him how some of the Manny collectors here didn't feel it was a Manny game used bat.

His questions to me were what were you reasons for thinking it was not used by Manny and did any of you see every at bat of Manny's in 2007?

Obviously I don't think anyone saw every at bat, but I would love to hear why you all believe it is NOT a Manny game used bat.

I am also in contact with Joe Orlando about this and will be sharing any information you all can give me with him.

Thank you for all the help everyone!
    It's just the characteristics, after seeing so manny (no pun intended) bats, you can usually just tell. A large problem you have is that it will probably be all but impossible to prove the bat wasn't used by Manny. You are really stuck unless the seller decides just to take a return, because otherwise you'll have to prove it and it'll be a hassle. I haven't looked through getty, but have you been able to find a pic of Manny using this type of bat. On a side note, I received an e-mail from someone who owns a handful of Manny bats, and he though that this bat was "doubtful at best." I'll keep him anonymous because he chose not to post, but you get the idea.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

I have been in email contact with Joe Orlando and he referred me to John Taube. And he said to keep in mind that they are paid for their opinion, not to confirm others opinions. So I sent off a very polite email to Mr. Taube asking what characteristics he looks for and what kind of source he uses to confirm that Manny used this kind of bat. I have looked through 4 sites and thousands of photos including Getty and Corbis and have yet to find a pic of Manny holding a bat like this. That is what makes me nervous. I don't think Paypal will back me because burden of proof falls on me and I have no proof other than what I am reading here. So unless something comes up that is proof one way or another, I think I am going to have to keep the bat.

Since John wants to question whether people have seen every Manny AB in 2007 (which I have nearly every Sox game from that season and not once did he ever use a Nokona), the better question for him is why hasn't he checked the AB's himself instead of questioning others? I challenge him to look through any 2007 game on mlb.tv (which are available right now) and find 1 AB of Manny using a Nokona.

Also, lets say for a second that Manny did use a Nokona, the use characteristics on this bat are way off. I really dont understand how an authenticator does not have on file the usage patterns for a player of his stature and then question why people are doubting the legitimacy of the bat.

It's tough to tell from the pics that are posted as they are pretty small but:
    1) there should be basically no usage on the back of the barrell; there appear to be ballmarks on the reverse
    2) pine tar on the handle is light
    3) barrell usage on the end of the barrell is not right. there should be significant wear above the label where Manny taps his bat

If anything, it could be an Ortiz bat as he used Noknonas pretty frequently.

Well, I told John about the post here and I am hoping he will come here and read it. I actually thought he was a poster here, but I guess I am wrong.

Maybe after my new email he will be so kind as to stop in here and explain why he thinks it is a legit gamer.