Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hockey jersey tagging question

I was wondering if someone could explain the set numbers you see on hockey jerseys. I have one that is a 2000-2001 set #2 from the red wings. What do the set numbers represent. Are there more than one jersey in the set? And is there anyway to find out how many games each of the sets are used for?

I am still new to this and have a lot to learn, thanks for all the great input from everyone on here.

John

Re: Hockey jersey tagging question

The quick and easy answer if that most NHL teams have 2 or 3 sets (sometimes 2 and a playoff set). Primarily they wear the 1st set in the 1st part of the season (maybe close to the All Star game), then the 2nd for the later half. Each team makes the change on their own and some teams will wear the 1st set longer into the season.

On the number on jerseys, most teams will have one of each set and color. The Wings however have been known to issue more than one jersey to some players. I saw a team list a few years back that had multiple jerseys of some of the higher end players like Stevie Y and Federov back then. The multiples even included different sizes. So...I guess you just never know.

For modern jerseys you can check with MeiGray. They have population reports for all of the jerseys that are issued through their process (as a heads up, the Wings do not go through them). Good luck.