Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Will/Has the GU market become over saturated?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't apply to vintage players.
    True but the flip side is when you buy them they are like buying autographs of players who died before the hologram era you can never be totally sure they are real. At least when you buy from JO, Mei Gray and the like you can be as sure as humanely possible that your getting the real thing.

Re: Will/Has the GU market become over saturated?

Someone mentioned the natural progression from cards - to autographs - to game worn. I like that insight, as I'm sure that is what most of us did. Afterall, all of those items were what brought many of us closer to the game or players we love.

That being said, I also liked the mention of how the first two all overproduced items after they realized the huge demand. The free-market system typically finds a way to match or exceed demand. Personally, I believe vintage is where it is at, and I wish that is where my collecting had begun. In all three of these categories (cards, autographs, and game worn) vintage retained its value and or greatly increased. The modern stuff (on cards and then autographs) shot through the roof in pricing. Once people realized how much product was out there, prices collapsed. Vintage has a limited amount and is perhaps a bit more historical or crosses more generations. Therefore, it retains its value and could most be likened to "Gold" of the sports world. I think that is exactly what will happen with game used. This modern stuff will continue to have a demand, but I think we will see prices drop off once people realize how much product truly is out there. Certainly there isn't much stuff when you compare it to baseball cards. However, there aren't tons of sports fans that are willing to shell out $1,000 for a star players bat that they have no idea how to authenticate. This hobby just takes a great deal of research and time. (You know supply is certainly increasing on the modern stuff when you realize that even some star minor leaguers were issued 10 sets of each jersey in order for demand to be reached? NOTE: I know this has happened.)

Just like in all of the other areas of collections (cards and autographs) I can only say "Collect what you love". If you do that rather than treat it is a future retirement fund, than you will never be dissappointed. I've got books of Jeff Kunkel and Steve Trout cards that I still love to flip through. It is amazing how much I paid or traded for some, but I never look at them and go "Wow, I lost so much cash" what I think is "Wow, I love being able to look back and enjoy following these players. It helps me remember how much fun I had during my childhood."
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/