Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mods: How to handle a member who is non-paying?

I've never sold, only bought, but this is why I like paypal. I dealt with a member from the forum earlier in the month where he would only accept a check. I'm not sending anything until the item is in my hands because I couldn't take the risk of paying for something that I never got. Suprisingly, I did get the bat, and I sent the check the following day. I just don't see why someone wouldn't pay you because that was the most generous thing someone has done for me in this hobby. Yeah, I could have easily skipped out on the payment, but there's no way I could feel good about myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    I've never sold, only bought, but this is why I like paypal. I dealt with a member from the forum earlier in the month where he would only accept a check. I'm not sending anything until the item is in my hands because I couldn't take the risk of paying for something that I never got. Suprisingly, I did get the bat, and I sent the check the following day. I just don't see why someone wouldn't pay you because that was the most generous thing someone has done for me in this hobby. Yeah, I could have easily skipped out on the payment, but there's no way I could feel good about myself.

Just curious how you can pull that off, cuz you won't get by anywhere like an auction house, eBay, or anywhere else that I am aware of, except maybe a trusting member of this forum. I have always had to pay before I received my item.

I appreciate all the support and know I was just involved in another fiasco with a GU helmet, it all worked out as the original buyer got his money but I am out that as well, and was feeling very distrusting of the hobby and actually contemplated selling everything and moving on to something else, but the response has been very positive which has helped me revitalize my spirit a bit for the hobby. Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to respond briefly to the thread. The moderators are aware of the posting and we are discussing a position on the proper protocol.

The protocol for questioning auction items should serve as a good reference point for these types of issues. I would strongly urge members to try to resolve the issue directly and provide other members twenty-four hours notice before making a post about non-payment issues, etc. This would provide an opportunity to resolve issues that may be simple misunderstandings. It sounds like this issue has been ongoing but I do not want to set a negative precedent.

There is a certain level of trust afforded by members to other forum members (some more than others) and there should be some accountability among members. As always, I would stick to the facts as attacks, baiting, etc. detract from the purpose and will not be tolerated.

I will post a more formal response once we have had a chance to discuss this further but wanted to at least offer some insight. Thanks!

Thanks for the update Greg. Those were the reasons I wanted to ask the question before posting as I know that sometimes we all have good intentions and things don't work out, but this has been two months with now no email response. But I also try to avoid member attacks but think, from what I have heard from others, the ability to hold members accountable on the forum may help members be accountable on their own.

I would contact the local Police Dept. where this dirtbag lives and see if they would pay him a visit to find out what the deal is with the nonpayment. Explain the situation to them and maybe they can scare a little sense into him.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Just curious how you can pull that off, cuz you won't get by anywhere like an auction house, eBay, or anywhere else that I am aware of, except maybe a trusting member of this forum. I have always had to pay before I received my item.
    The seller told me they would give me the bat for a check of $48, and agreed to it. I said though that I'm not sending the check until I have confirmation that something was mailed, like a tracking number or something. Before, he could answer the bat came the following day, and I mailed the check the following day. I guess, I got very lucky, but it really is hard to trust ANYONE, even if you have dealt with them before.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    The seller told me they would give me the bat for a check of $48, and agreed to it. I said though that I'm not sending the check until I have confirmation that something was mailed, like a tracking number or something. Before, he could answer the bat came the following day, and I mailed the check the following day. I guess, I got very lucky, but it really is hard to trust ANYONE, even if you have dealt with them before.

Cool, thanks for the insight. I have, ironically, been burned twice on eBay over 11+ years for amounts like $15, but the $1000 transactions have never been a problem! I guess I am just naive in that it would be nice to have a close-knit community group here on GUU where the showdowns weren't so common.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    All I can saw regarding this is some people are just downright tools when dealing with them if you really feel you are going to get screwed over by $50. My word is worth far more than the $$$. Everyone I have dealth with on the board has been excellent with one exception. & Thanks for the jersey Joe

I usually send item after full payment; but there are occasions when I know the person well and I send the item ahead of final payment.

That said, sometimes I'm a little stunned when I spend a great deal of money with a guy over years and I'm not given that gesture of the item a little ahead of schedule. Just my opinion.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com