Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Show off your sports photography...

Nice as always Kyle... Is this stadium shot a single image or a stitch? What focal length was that at? I'm planning to try a few of those on a 17-40 on a full frame - Maybe during friday night fireworks, if I can get a tripod in somehow. Hopefully wide enough. Also, I use a 70-200/4 I keep debating on upgrading to a 2.8, but its a big price difference for that extra stop.

Royals don't mind much once you are in the stadium as long as you dont get any complaints for blocking the view of others, luckily the Royals stink so usually there is plenty of space to spread out and not get in anyone's way . The entrance ushers do check equipment, but they've historically enforced inconsistently. If one turns me away I go in another entrance. I think the Royals just try to limit "unlicensed professionals", but dont enforce the size restrictions too strictly. My 70-200/4 is the white Canon L series, and even though there are similar price and length black "consumer" lenses a few accuse me of being a professional, just because the lens is white. I try to keep it in its pouch in my bag and put on my black wide angle lens when entering the stadium to avoid hassles. And luckily they've allowed monopods too!

Security policy limits "Cameras with 12" or more lenses" -thats plenty big for me... Royals FAQ... "Although still and video cameras are welcome in the stadium, please do not set up tripods or block the view of other guests. Flash photography of the game and videotaping of the game action, however, is strictly prohibited."

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    Thanks guys! I was shooting at every Braves series in 2009. Only thing that sucks though was that I was limited to a crappy camera and an even worser lens. I'm since upgraded to a Nikon D90 with a more professional lens (70-200mm f/2.8). I'll be shooting again this upcoming season. There's one usher in the stadium that doesn't care if my lens size exceeds Turner Field's limit (which mine is double the size), and she just so happens to be the dugout usher, so I should get some amazing shots.

Here's a few of my best images from the 2009 season:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

that would make a nice 16x20 print kyle
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Wow! I love seeing these great photos! Here's a couple of photos I took on the annual Yankees road trip with Mom last year. Bought myself a new Canon Powershot Camera that worked out great this/last year. (Have resized them to make them small enough for the forums)

Cont...

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyegamers View Post
    Thought I'd add a few football shots to the thread. Some photos I took of one of my favorite subjects, my son in college and then back to high school.

[/IMG]
    Great shots. I bet your son appreciates them a lot.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

It isn't a good photo but I was drunk out of my mind when I took it. So I get a kick out of it. Shows Mauer, Morneau, Damon, and whoever is on first.

Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Nice as always Kyle... Is this stadium shot a single image or a stitch? What focal length was that at? I'm planning to try a few of those on a 17-40 on a full frame - Maybe during friday night fireworks, if I can get a tripod in somehow. Hopefully wide enough. Also, I use a 70-200/4 I keep debating on upgrading to a 2.8, but its a big price difference for that extra stop.

Royals don't mind much once you are in the stadium as long as you dont get any complaints for blocking the view of others, luckily the Royals stink so usually there is plenty of space to spread out and not get in anyone's way . The entrance ushers do check equipment, but they've historically enforced inconsistently. If one turns me away I go in another entrance. I think the Royals just try to limit "unlicensed professionals", but dont enforce the size restrictions too strictly. My 70-200/4 is the white Canon L series, and even though there are similar price and length black "consumer" lenses a few accuse me of being a professional, just because the lens is white. I try to keep it in its pouch in my bag and put on my black wide angle lens when entering the stadium to avoid hassles. And luckily they've allowed monopods too!

Security policy limits "Cameras with 12" or more lenses" -thats plenty big for me... Royals FAQ... "Although still and video cameras are welcome in the stadium, please do not set up tripods or block the view of other guests. Flash photography of the game and videotaping of the game action, however, is strictly prohibited."

I can't remember the exact focal length, but I believe it was around 28mm. It's 3 pictures stitched together using Panorama Maker.

I also used a 70-200mm f/4 lens and it has nice results but having the aperture at 5.6 at 200mm just was killing the quality of the image. That's why I upgraded to a 2.8. Best part is whether you're zoomed in at 70mm or 200mm it's at 2.8 all the way through. I got a Sigma brand to save a thousand dollars. The Nikon version will run you $1500+. Sigma costs $800 new but I got mine in like new condition for $460. Quality looks the same. I highly recommend it if you want professional quality images.

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    I can't remember the exact focal length, but I believe it was around 28mm. It's 3 pictures stitched together using Panorama Maker.

I also used a 70-200mm f/4 lens and it has nice results but having the aperture at 5.6 at 200mm just was killing the quality of the image. That's why I upgraded to a 2.8. Best part is whether you're zoomed in at 70mm or 200mm it's at 2.8 all the way through. I got a Sigma brand to save a thousand dollars. The Nikon version will run you $1500+. Sigma costs $800 new but I got mine in like new condition for $460. Quality looks the same. I highly recommend it if you want professional quality images.
    Yeah my Canon luckily has a fixed f/4 at all focal lengths. I hate variable aperatures, I pretty much don't even consider those at all. My Canon 70-200/4L was about $550, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 runs about the same $800, while the Canon 70-200/2.8L runs about 1250. If I get the 2.8, I'll probably get the Sigma, it really is a great lens... But the 70-200/4 is easily one of the best values in camera lenses.

Well, I'll try to remember to follow up once I try my stadium panorama, I'm thinking I'll probably stitch 5 shots at 24mm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Since I got my Sony w/ 10 shots per second, I have been going crazy with the pictures.

Great to photomatch with your own photos!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Since I got my Sony w/ 10 shots per second, I have been going crazy with the pictures.

Great to photomatch with your own photos!!!!!!!
    Thats not a still camera, thats a slow rate video camera.. My first Canon DSLR shot 6 fps and that was nuts... 10 is just ridiculous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell