Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Very sad day for my collection

Gang,

You all know I collect NY Mets 1987 road jerseys... well, a few years ago, I missed out on a HoJo. I figured all along it would come back around someday and I'd have another chance at it.

Tonight I saw this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Topps-Sterl...item5ad70026cc

Undoubtedly, a 1987 road jersey of HoJo's was hacked up to create these cards. I'm sick to my stomach.

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Re: Very sad day for my collection

Make Lemonade Man. Buy em all up and start sewing!!!!!

Just kidding man, that sucks.

Banned

Been there and done that.

These card companies need to stop destroying stuff for the sake of "EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A CHANCE TO OWN SOMETHING THEY CAN AFFORD".

My point is - if you cant afford the entire jersey, what good would it do for your to own a square inch of cloth?

This is not as bad - see J. Dimaggio jersey, B. Ruth's pant and Bat, J. Robinson jersey and bat .... just to name few...

Quote Originally Posted by yankees.stub View Post
    These card companies need to stop destroying stuff for the sake of "EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A CHANCE TO OWN SOMETHING THEY CAN AFFORD".
    Why not? Not everyone can afford a whole jersey, so why not make something that is accessible to the younger demographic? Sorry that your HoJo got the scissors, but now more fans can own portions of his jersey. Look at it this way: one jersey is sacrificed for the gains of many younger collectors who can only afford small swatches of cloth.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Why not? Not everyone can afford a whole jersey, so why not make something that is accessible to the younger demographic? Sorry that your HoJo got the scissors, but now more fans can own portions of his jersey. Look at it this way: one jersey is sacrificed for the gains of many younger collectors who can only afford small swatches of cloth.

-Frik
    Sorry, but at $200.00 per square inch of cloth, the only people out there getting to enjoy the jersey to its fullest is the Topps Baseball Card Company. You could have the whole jersey for $800.00. Now that you can cut it up into 50 pieces, it's worth $10,000.00. Not bad for an $800.00 investment, huh?
    How many of the "fans" could spare $200.00 for a card these days anyway that aren't able to spring for a full jersey?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

It was worst idea ever invented. So somebody can say I own a thumb sized swatch of x players game used jersey. But on the flip side it makes these things rarer as it takes one more out of the marketplace. Though it sucks big time if your looking for that item and it is so rare you cannot find another. Hojo used to be my favorite player actually so you have my symphaties.

Banned

-Frik

So with the same attitude ... why dont we cut up the priceless arts, declaration of independent (the day that they cut that up in pieces for the sake of sharing, that will be the day I will boycott that company completely).

And only the flip side of that - with a piece of cloth, would they be consider as game used collector? while the rest who own the entire jersey? bat? cleats? helmet?

So we can discriminate those spend less than other?

Why dont we have a poll - to see how many members agree to have their favorite item cut up in pieces?

These card companies are all having a CAR DEALERSHIP mentality - THE CARD WORTH A WHOLE LOT MORE IN PARTS, so chop it up and you get more money!

And if there are enough people who are willing to spend as little as possible to get an inch of swatch cloth, they will continue to destroy the historical item!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees.stub View Post
    So with the same attitude ... why dont we cut up the priceless arts, declaration of independent (the day that they cut that up in pieces for the sake of sharing, that will be the day I will boycott that company completely)
    With English like this, maybe you need to take a trip to the National Archives.

Yes - it is a good investment for the card company. But you are also bringing someone - rather, many people - closer to the game.

Isn't being as close as possible to the players the whole point of collecting? Collecting is about everyone having access to the game, not just some financially well-off whole jersey collector.

I used to do the game used card thing, but I tired of it quickly. However, owning a piece of a jersey quickly led to my wanting to own the actual jersey. So - it may be creating more appreciation for game used collecting.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Look at it this way: one jersey is sacrificed for the gains of many younger collectors who can only afford small swatches of cloth.

-Frik

Another thing, if you want younger demographic to appreciate the hobby or the sport .... take them to a ball game ..... let them enjoy it is for what it is.

What if, they ask --- why did they cut that up? and you replied with your statement .... and then they asked .... BUT WHAT THE HECK IS THIS LITTLE PIECE MEAN?

long long long way to explain how capitalism works...

Banned

I used to do the game used card thing, but I tired of it quickly. However, owning a piece of a jersey quickly led to my wanting to own the actual jersey. So - it may be creating more appreciation for game used collecting.

You said it there .... Now wonder, how many items were destroyed and fans and collectors alike ....getting tired quickly.

Another thing, have you check the value of the CUT UP cards, say like 10 years back, and now? It really not even worth it.

I still have the very first Ken Griffey Jr. cut up - got so excited and send it to PSA. Get back a 9 ... thinking about selling it but then decide not to ...

Now, these are a dime a dozen.