Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Very sad day for my collection

I've wondered this same thing. How do you know the fabric is really from the star player? Just take the card companies word?
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    I've wondered this same thing. How do you know the fabric is really from the star player? Just take the card companies word?
    They must just taje their word on it. That's another reason collecting the whole jersey or bat is better. You know the player actually used it

There are card collectors and there are memorabilia collectors. Obviously there is a market for both, and as long as that is true, both markets will be satisfied because there are profits to be made. Yes, Babe Ruth jerseys and bats have been cut into pieces. The holy grail of the game used hobby turned into the holy grail of the card collecting hobby. They are still treasured pieces of memorabilia enjoyed and cherished by their owner, just not in the form some of us prefer.

The portion in bold is why the "cutting up the Honus Wagner card" comparison is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
    There are card collectors and there are memorabilia collectors. Obviously there is a market for both, and as long as that is true, both markets will be satisfied because there are profits to be made. Yes, Babe Ruth jerseys and bats have been cut into pieces. The holy grail of the game used hobby turned into the holy grail of the card collecting hobby. They are still treasured pieces of memorabilia enjoyed and cherished by their owner, just not in the form some of us prefer.

The portion in bold is why the "cutting up the Honus Wagner card" comparison is flawed.
    I see cards like Patches and logos cards which aren't game used and can be obtained from companies like National Emblem and direct from Majestic and this way they don't have to cut up a game used jersey or worst case cut up an Authentic.

Now that Topps has the MLB contract, hopefully they will get league wide cooperation that if they need a game used jersey they can do 1 game wonders to make it "game used" so they aren't cutting up well worn jerseys. If they were smart, they could require the jersey to be MLB hologram'd and then cut out the hologram/holograms for the cards. That would be something different for Topps!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by Texans View Post
    How many road jersey did they wear during that time?

Jojo
    I would say that they had 2 per year. If I'm lucky, there could have been 1 or 2 more.

The problem is that in this particular year, the Mets wore a '1 year only' road style... so, when it's gone, it's gone!
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

I just took another look at the card in question. It's called a "jumbo swatch" card, and instead of a patch, it displays what appears to be the top of the "Y" or "k" in New York, along with the gray material of the jersey. What strikes me odd is the fact that the card is a "1 out of 1." If it's clearly 1 small cutting of the jersey, why is it 1 of 1? Where did the rest of the jersey go?

Getting back to Frik's statement, where many younger collectors can have a piece of this collectible... Apart from the price being $200.00 (where people are being fooled into thinking they are getting something rarer than it actually is), why can only 1 person have this particular card? Where are the other 50 to 100 pieces of this jersey??? Are they going to be "exclusive" 1 out of 1 cards in other series? If so, isn't this deceptive marketing?
    Looking for ...

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I see cards like Patches and logos cards which aren't game used
    I have seen swatches of a nameplate on cards, where the letters aren't even part of the player's name who the card is of... have the card companies ever addressed this? Supposing you buy an "Albert Pujols" swatch card because you want a piece of his jersey. Your card has a cutting of a Cardinals nameplate with a letter "T" on it. What exactly is this???
    Looking for ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    I have seen swatches of a nameplate on cards, where the letters aren't even part of the player's name who the card is of... have the card companies ever addressed this? Supposing you buy an "Albert Pujols" swatch card because you want a piece of his jersey. Your card has a cutting of a Cardinals nameplate with a letter "T" on it. What exactly is this???

Now this is FRAUD!

There is no "T" in PUJOLS ... unless the card company is saying that the CARDINALS is using FIRST name on the jersey also.

Like I said it from the beginning - it is a stupid idea. All it takes is one stupid person who is willing to listen to and believe in it .... it will spread like wild fire!

Just stupid!

Banned

I just took another look at the card in question. It's called a "jumbo swatch" card, and instead of a patch, it displays what appears to be the top of the "Y" or "k" in New York, along with the gray material of the jersey. What strikes me odd is the fact that the card is a "1 out of 1." If it's clearly 1 small cutting of the jersey, why is it 1 of 1? Where did the rest of the jersey go?

Are they going to be "exclusive" 1 out of 1 cards in other series? If so, isn't this deceptive marketing?

Just a thought...

Wouldnt it be cheaper just to have those letters pre-cut? Insert them into pack and put 1 of 1 on the card - this supposed to mean there is only 1 of the letter "N" in NEW YORK (for road jersey only).

It would be really funny if they put any letter on pinstripes fabric!

... So this way, they dont have to destroy any jersey and still make a bundle for something that cost penny to make!

Not bad at all...

I think the one you are referring to is a manufactured patch and not billed as a game used name plate. They are called "by the letter" autographs and the letters are not game worn, just autographed. I believe it spells out "A-L-B-E-R-T" And yes, it is stupid, but it is not game used and not advertised as such.