Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jose Reyes Batting Title

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...yes-pulled-hit

I don't know about you guys but I didn't like this much. I understand winning the game wouldn't matter as far as wild card standings go but I'm of the belief that the "W" is more important than personal stats. I hope Braun goes out there and goes 3-4, at least, and takes the title tonight.

Any opinions out there on a guy pulling himself out of a game to get a batting title?
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

Re: Jose Reyes Batting Title

thats sad

Banned

Ted Williams didn't even set out his last game in 1941 even though a bad game would have cost him the shot at hitting .400.
    Don't you wish Ted Williams was still alive and hear his opinion of this ball player?

Being a Mets fan i was a bit disappointed myself. Though i am happy to see a batting title finally come to the Mets.

I'm sure this has happened plenty times before but this doesn't sit well with me.

I'm sure it will never happen but there should be some sort of requirement by
    MLB for a player to play the full game of the final game of the seaon if he's
    competing for the batting title, unless

1. he's injured or injures himself during the course of the game
    2. gets replaced for strategic purposes that comply with some sort
    of rules MLB sets. (i.e. pinch runner, pinch hitter allowed if game is within 3 runs)

Even being a Yankee fan, as a baseball fan I was paying particular
    attention because of Kemp's potential Triple Crown run and to me,
    Reyes title came "cheap" and sort of takes away from his otherwise
    spectacular, albeit injury-shortened season.

As someone else said I would love to of heard what Ted Williams
    would say about this.
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

The batting title only raises his asking price. Considering how hard it will be to re-sign him anyway you have to wonder what kind of sense this makes?

Fans seem really scorned by this move and find it akin to manipulating the rules. Nothing wrong with it of course just leaves a sour taste.

Perfect example of a contract year season though. He's suddenly the player his potential says he was. Excuse my cynicism if I see a bloated overpayed contract and .240 10 hr 55 rbi injury plagued next 2 seasons......
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    Ted Williams didn't even set out his last game in 1941 even though a bad game would have cost him the shot at hitting .400.
    Don't you wish Ted Williams was still alive and hear his opinion of this ball player?
    Were my exact thoughts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    The batting title only raises his asking price. Considering how hard it will be to re-sign him anyway you have to wonder what kind of sense this makes?

Fans seem really scorned by this move and find it akin to manipulating the rules. Nothing wrong with it of course just leaves a sour taste.

Perfect example of a contract year season though. He's suddenly the player his potential says he was. Excuse my cynicism if I see a bloated overpayed contract and .240 10 hr 55 rbi injury plagued next 2 seasons......

Nothing that doesn't happen year in and year out with these guys. Majority of them dog it until their contract year and then blow up.

Let me play devil's advocate here... Should Reyes had gone 1 for 4 in the game yesterday (which wasn't a stretch of the imagination given Volquez was on the mound for most of it) and had fallen percentage points behind Braun before the Brewers even took the field later the same day, what would Braun have done???
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate here... Should Reyes had gone 1 for 4 in the game yesterday (which wasn't a stretch of the imagination given Volquez was on the mound for most of it) and had fallen percentage points behind Braun before the Brewers even took the field later the same day, what would Braun have done???
    There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Braun would have played the entire game unless Roenicke took him out. And that probably would have been against his will.