Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: O's Fan Fest

Re: O's Fan Fest

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    Andrew as far as I can tell you are correct on all fronts in terms of number and names. I did not see any Jones or Roberts Jerseys. The jerseys mentioned went for $100.00 each.

I know people are offering ten times that amount or more in some cases for the Wieters. So, to sum it up, there is no reason to wonder why people are literally beating each other up to get to the game used room as soon as the doors open. If you are lucky enough to grab a couple of the few prime players or prospects jersey's that are there, you can turn them if you so desire for five to ten times what you paid. All going to those who show up the earliest and getting into the room first.

I honestly wonder why in some ways players like a Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Reimold, Roberts and prospects like Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Patton, and the like are not kept on a seperate table or something and given tiered pricing levels. I am willing to bet that if they started the Wieters and any Markakis, Jones, etc off at like $750.00 people would have still bought them. Top prospects they could have charged like $300 or $250 or whatever and the same thing would have happened. While it would still seem like a chaotic approach, I bet that would cut down slightly on people charging the room all in the hope of scoring one or two top players to flip on ebay.

I know several forum members who as previously mentioned are die hard Orioles collectors that have no plans to flip these items. However, dealers and the like can have a field day all for showing up at the crack of dawn and standing outside the earliest.
    Brett, no doubt on your assessment on the pricing as you would think Wieters could be a $1,500 jersey and for the right price a lot more than that. Wieters potential is huge with upside.

The Nats last year did it fair in my opinion. They sold no name jerseys for under $200 and any of the starters were put in hourly silent auctions and drew big crowds.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Brett, no doubt on your assessment on the pricing as you would think Wieters could be a $1,500 jersey and for the right price a lot more than that. Wieters potential is huge with upside.

The Nats last year did it fair in my opinion. They sold no name jerseys for under $200 and any of the starters were put in hourly silent auctions and drew big crowds.

Andrew:

That does make the most sense. Once you got beyond those few name jersey's on the tables, there was just nothing. I would think that plan would make the most sense as overall, the items in the silent auction were fairly poor. In fact, of the say 15 - 20 total items, most were signed game issued bats of players like Jones, Roberta, signed team balls, signed balls of individual players etc. They could and should have pulled items like the Wieters jersey's, the top prospects like Matusz, Tillman, Arriata, Patton etc. and put them in the silent auction. That way, every person gets a chance to either bid or pass and the remaining jersey's bats, etc. end up going for the same price with no pushing/shoving etc. You would need to let everyone know in advance what you are doing of course to cut down on people trying to break Usain Bolt's 100 meter dash world record getting inside the door to the Game Used Room.

Someone said they had a Ripken batting helmet, that should certainly have been a silent auction item, how the heck does a #8 helmet make it into the large helmet bin??? Its not like the questionable Markakis batting helmet with the 21 on it where you dont know what year it was from and who might have worn or used it. Rip has worn that number since 81 until its retirement in 01, so it obviously had to be his helmet.

Anyway, so many ways this could have been done but sounds like the Nats have it pretty much right on.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Andrew:

That does make the most sense. Once you got beyond those few name jersey's on the tables, there was just nothing. I would think that plan would make the most sense as overall, the items in the silent auction were fairly poor. In fact, of the say 15 - 20 total items, most were signed game issued bats of players like Jones, Roberta, signed team balls, signed balls of individual players etc. They could and should have pulled items like the Wieters jersey's, the top prospects like Matusz, Tillman, Arriata, Patton etc. and put them in the silent auction. That way, every person gets a chance to either bid or pass and the remaining jersey's bats, etc. end up going for the same price with no pushing/shoving etc. You would need to let everyone know in advance what you are doing of course to cut down on people trying to break Usain Bolt's 100 meter dash world record getting inside the door to the Game Used Room.

Someone said they had a Ripken batting helmet, that should certainly have been a silent auction item, how the heck does a #8 helmet make it into the large helmet bin??? Its not like the questionable Markakis batting helmet with the 21 on it where you dont know what year it was from and who might have worn or used it. Rip has worn that number since 81 until its retirement in 01, so it obviously had to be his helmet.

Anyway, so many ways this could have been done but sounds like the Nats have it pretty much right on.
    No way that is Ripken's helmet and ended up in there. Has to be an explanation like a number peeling off.

If it is, it is the steal of the new decade!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    No way that is Ripken's helmet and ended up in there. Has to be an explanation like a number peeling off.

If it is, it is the steal of the new decade!
    I have to agree. You would have to think the Orioles would have noticed that

Quote Originally Posted by Manram View Post
    I have to agree. You would have to think the Orioles would have noticed that

Lets just remember, this is the Orioles, the people working the tables at the event were not exactly Einsteins. With this team, nothing ever surprises me.
    Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Lets just remember, this is the Orioles, the people working the tables at the event were not exactly Einsteins. With this team, nothing ever surprises me.
    This is true, but you just wonder how they would not catch something like that

http://wjz.com/services/popoff.aspx?...tationName=WJZ&

video from news has helmet included looks good to me

Is that the same Geoff Stuart as is on the forum? Although they spelled his name Jeff Stewart.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Manram View Post
    This is true, but you just wonder how they would not catch something like that

I overheard a cashier at the register in the game used room saying that when they were putting out all the items on Friday, the employees were trying to get permission to purchase items like the Weiters, Matusz and who knows what other players. I guess they were told they could not do this. Somebody knew what they had there. I too would find it very difficult to believe that had they been cleaning out the closets and storage rooms and found a batting helmet with a # 8 on it that somebody would have have recognized what they had.

You would think that anything that was Ripken related would have been stored in a secure place tagged and cataloged and when the time was right, the team would have pulled it out and sold it accordingly. Then again, this kind of takes me back to Jeremy Fefel the guy that was a team employee that was stealing stuff out of the Warehouse storage rooms and selling it online. From everything I have heard, there was no specific area in which Ripkens remaining memorabilia was stored or in any way cataloged. The dumb thing was trying to put it up on ebay a couple of years back and thinking nobody would notice.

Somebody else posted about being concerned about the items all being gamed used. I feel the same way, there were in some cases multiple,multiple duplicates of players that might have only been at spring training or up at the end of the season that might have literally had 20 at bats. There is no way that this person used 10 bp jersey's. I have my own level of concerns in how the Orioles catalog this stuff as game used. Do they just grab everything off the rack left in the locker room at the end of the season and just throw it into a bin and label it game used?

Just not sure what in their mind qualifies as game used.
    Brett Herman

Quote Originally Posted by orioles03 View Post
    http://wjz.com/services/popoff.aspx?...tationName=WJZ&

video from news has helmet included looks good to me
    That is in fact Cal's correct helmet size 7 3/8. I too think it looked good from the brief images, good catch.
    Brett Herman