Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: Get this ball signed by Jeter?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 53.85%
  • No, leave it as is

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

2009 World Series Game Used Baseball

I just picked up from MLB, a Derek Jeter hit baseball from game 4 of the World Series. It is MLB authenticated as his rbi single from game 4. This was Jeter's only RBI of the WS and is his 9th RBI. Does anyone know if MLB was authenticating specific hits in any other WS that the Yankees were playing in? I am curious if this is the only WS rbi authenticated ball for Jeter. On the video there is a great shot of Blanton throwing in a ball during Jeter's AB. That hologram is the previous number to my hologram and was logged as a pitch in the dirt. Then Blanton gets a new ball and Jeter promptly singles to drive in a run. On the tape you can see Blanton look at the ball and throw it into the umpire. I really like this ball more because it was only hit by Jeter and no one else. In looking at the other authenticated hit balls, there were a bunch that were hits before or after a certain player. I like this one because I know the use is only from Jeter's hit.

My question to the forum is how many of you would get this ball signed by Jeter on the sweet spot? Or would you leave it as is? I plan on putting this in a shadowbox and I was thinking that if I could get the 8x10 of Jeter hitting the ball, that might be better to get signed.

Image # 92601534

Re: 2009 World Series Game Used Baseball

I would get it signed, under the WS logo! That would be a great display.

I would leave it as is. What if the signature bleeds or fades? That would take away from the ball.

-Chris

Chris,

That was my fear. I don't know how the long term effects are on a game used ball with a signature...That is why I was thinking it would probably be best to get a photo of the hit signed.

I know Scott (jetersbatboy) told me he has had game used balls signed and they have come out great.

Does anyone else have any other pros/cons on getting game used baseballs signed?

Thanks,
    Scott
    sjnyr@aol.com

Here's a couple of pictures(I sold the ball)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

You have a one of a kind baseball. The MLB Autentication program started in 2001 so noone but you has an authenticated baseball from a Jeter RBI in a World Series that the Yankees won. In my opinion the signature adds nothing to a baseball like that as there is no shortage of Jeter signed baseballs out there, game used or not. Having it signed will also cost you alot of money as Jeter only signs through Steiner private signings and they charge an arm and a leg for his signature on a customer's send in game used item and they will want your other arm and leg for an inscription denoting the historical significance of the baseball. By mailing it to Steiner you also run the risk of the item being lost or damaged in transit and all the insurance in the world cannot replace a one of a kind item. Also as others posted there is a risk of the signature bleeding, etc. causing damage to the ball. I think the baseball speaks for itself as is. I also think it would look awesome in a shadowbox with a signed 8 x 10 of the hit in question. But that is just my opinion and it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I would leave the ball as it is, I think it displays just fine without having to fork over a wad of cash to have it signed...then there is always a chance the signature doesnt come out great and it may ruin the appearance of the ball...The only way I would spend the money and take the risk is if jeter would be willing to inscribe the ball something special, this would add more appeal to the ball and add a personal touch. If it were me i would display the ball with a picture of him hitting the ball either way...Great piece of history you have!

Banned

I personally would have it signed as I think it adds to the specialness of the ball but that is just my IMO.

The other thing to consider as another member mentioned, yes you will pay for an arm and a leg.

As far as bleeding and fading. IMO you would have less worry of that (not to say it can't happen) but is lesser chance since the ball does get a bit more dried out from the use and air from sitting out than a regular baseball that is sealed when you buy it retail.

I would not get it signed. Ball is special enough as it is. But if for some reason you do get it signed. You get it under the World Series logo. While sweet spot is place to get regular signed baseballs. Always get World Series and All Star/Special logo type balls, under that logo and not on sweet spot.

2009 World Series Game Used Baseball

I have a game used ball from the 2006 World Series. The ball was a foul ball during one of Albert Pujols' at bats. I was fortunate to secure an autograph ticket for Albert for the upcoming Winter Warm-Up. Would you have Albert sign it?

Albert is only signing balls and photos; no bats, jerseys, etc.