Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: ARod's 500th HR ball going to Auction

Is their lots available for view online? It talks about a Z mag but does not have an area for me to click on? Am I missing something or anyone have the link.

Thanks!
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Is their lots available for view online? It talks about a Z mag but does not have an area for me to click on? Am I missing something or anyone have the link.

Thanks!
    seems to be offline for now

this is the direct link from the email sent to me by SCP about the auction.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...78#/e56fca78/1

maybe the website is temporarily down. http://www.zmags.com doesnt even work.

andrew, when did you last visited the catalogue?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    seems to be offline for now

this is the direct link from the email sent to me by SCP about the auction.

maybe the website is temporarily down. http://www.zmags.com doesnt even work.

andrew, when did you last visited the catalogue?
    The website isn't live yet. I went throught the ZMag too.

Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    The website isn't live yet. I went throught the ZMag too.

funny but its online now. must have got the call from andrew

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...#/e56fca78/148
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Joel,

Andrew has a way of making things "come to life".

I'll guess..........$85,000-100,000+ for that home run ball. Remember, he plays in New York for the Bronx Bombers. It's the single most desireable milestone homerun ball of the "500" home run club hitters, their 500th.

The only downside(s) to this offering is the steroid connection, and the economy. Otherwise, the skies the limit on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Joel,

Andrew has a way of making things "come to life".

I'll guess..........$85,000-100,000+ for that home run ball. Remember, he plays in New York for the Bronx Bombers. It's the single most desireable milestone homerun ball of the "500" home run club hitters, their 500th.

The only downside(s) to this offering is the steroid connection, and the economy. Otherwise, the skies the limit on this one.
    Steve - Funny you say $85,000 because I know that is going to be your Max bid on it!

A great piece of history!

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    as reference, here is what was authenticated on that day.

seems like everything was tagged except for jockstrap and shower shoes. two sets of bases but no homeplate.

BB566960 actual baseball
    BB566961 locker tag
    BB566962 1st base (1st set)
    BB566963 2nd base (1st set)
    BB566964 3rd base (1st set)
    BB566965 baseball
    BB566966 baseball
    BB566967 baseball
    BB566968 baseball
    BB566969 baseball
    BB566970 baseball
    BB566971 baseball
    BB566972 baseball
    BB566973 baseball
    BB566974 baseball
    BB566975 jersey
    BB566976 acutal bat
    BB566977 cap
    BB566978 sunglasses
    BB566979 batting helmet
    BB566980 elbow pad (benik)
    BB566981 right cleat
    BB566982 left cleat
    BB566983 right hand batting glove
    BB566984 left hand batting glove
    BB566985 belt
    BB566986 pants
    BB566987 1st base (second set)
    BB566988 2nd base (second set)
    BB566989 3rd base (second set)
    BB566990 dirt from pitchers mound
    have the actual bat, jersey or helmet been sold he was using from this game or been seen for sale? If so what kind of price did they get.

Quote Originally Posted by indyred View Post
    have the actual bat, jersey or helmet been sold he was using from this game or been seen for sale? If so what kind of price did they get.
    The main items bat, jersey and helmet have never gone up for sale. ARod still has them. Unsigned bases ($2000) and baseballs ($800) were sold by Steiner. MVP sold one signed game used baseball at around sold for $2500 and Sotheby sold one signed game used baseball at around $3800. Steiner had his chair for $3500 and were going to sell it to for 20% off for messing up a transaction for the base I ordered but passed.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

At the time A-Rod hit the home run, I was involved in discussions with Scot Monette of ASI/ESM of a possible purchase of the jersey. He asked me what I thought the jersey was worth. I told him $20,000-$30,000, maybe? He told me the bat was already sold for $50,000, seemed discusted with me, and we soon ended the conversation.

He was always such a punk, smug dunghole. I'm glad I never pursued it. He was looking for an offer of $75,000.

Personally, I don't think any of the steroid guys are worth that kind of cash......but there's just something about that 500 home run baseball....

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    At the time A-Rod hit the home run, I was involved in discussions with Scot Monette of ASI/ESM of a possible purchase of the jersey. He asked me what I thought the jersey was worth. I told him $20,000-$30,000, maybe? He told me the bat was already sold for $50,000, seemed discusted with me, and we soon ended the conversation.

He was always such a punk, smug dunghole. I'm glad I never pursued it. He was looking for an offer of $75,000.

Personally, I don't think any of the steroid guys are worth that kind of cash......but there's just something about that 500 home run baseball....
    Steve,

Sorry that the negotiation went south. I have no clue how negotiation work at the very high end: face to face, phone, emails, etc. I would think sellers would be very respectful to potential high end buyers and repeat business. It’s just good business. Maybe you or another member can share an example in successfully negotiating a private deal at the super high end level.

Just a hypothetical since this price range is way over my pay scale. Supposedly, the Gretzky Honus Wagner T206 sold to a private collector for $2 million. Does that sway me to buy the next best T206 for a higher relative price as a reaction to this supposed sale? No. I have no way to verify the sale price or that the transaction even occurred. Same with the Arod 500th bat as it was allegedly sold. If Scot told me that the bat sold for $50,000 would I adjust my estimate price of the jersey accordingly? No. First, I would need some proof like a purchase receipt for the bat. If you are a serious high end buyer I would think asking for record of purchase is a reasonable request. Is this a request that is granted at this level? It’s done with real estate, where realized price of surrounding properties are used to determine a starting point for negotiating a sale price of your property.

I don’t know if you are soured completely in the pursuit, but if not, I would also look into talking to other ARod dealers like Kevin and Mario to verify what Scot said as to availability of the bat and the sold price. Maybe it’s just me but I am just weary when someone mentions a private realized price. That's what is so interesting to me about this upcoming auction. The outcome will be a verifiable public sale of a 500 HR club member item. We know the transaction really happened.

Last question: How did knowing the sale price of $50,000 for the bat affect your estimated price of the baseball at $85-100K? I know other factors, as you mentioned previously, have changed since talking to Scot too.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com