Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: MLB authentication # question

I don't know about all the holograms and stickers, but many are intricately die cut to be destroyed/unusable if someone tries to remove them. I tested a PSA/DNA sticker once and will testify the sticker could not have been reused. The act of removing the sticker ruined it, making it look not unlike a window pane shattered into many small pieces on the floor.

Wouldn't touch the ball in million years. The key thing on home run ball is the Mlb hologram and it showing up as home run baseball in data base. You would have to be a complete idiot to touch that ball with a bad hologram. Don't waste your money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by indyred View Post
    Wouldn't touch the ball in million years. The key thing on home run ball is the Mlb hologram and it showing up as home run baseball in data base. You would have to be a complete idiot to touch that ball with a bad hologram. Don't waste your money.

It might just be a Data Entry error like someone alluded to earlier in the thread. I wouldn't call someone a "complete idiot" for buying a ball like that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    It might just be a Data Entry error like someone alluded to earlier in the thread. I wouldn't call someone a "complete idiot" for buying a ball like that.

No, I wouldn't say that it's a data entry error. Like Yanks12025 said, the MA prefix no longer exists. At all. There is no way for me to verify this ball through MLB.com. The only option I would have is to eye the hologram to see if I felt comfortable with it, then decide if I felt comfortable with the inscription and with the sellers say so that it is indeed a hr baseball from a MLB game hit by Rafael Palmeiro.

Too many if's for me.

Banned

Avoid it. Since you cannot look it up in the database you have no idea what the MLB hologram even if it is an authentic hologram is authenticating. It could be to authenticate only the signature. Sellers sometimes try to fool people especially on Ebay by trying to pass a game used item that is certified as to the autograph as being certfied as to the game use as well. And as for ASI/ESM ESM is out of business for sure and ASI either is or is fledging as I have not heard of them having a signing or anything in a long time. They started out as one company and one of the key people left to form ESM. I have heard negative things about both companies and when ASI was on Ebay they had alot of negative feedback.

Banned

Thanks LegalEagle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Avoid it. Since you cannot look it up in the database you have no idea what the MLB hologram even if it is an authentic hologram is authenticating. It could be to authenticate only the signature. Sellers sometimes try to fool people especially on Ebay by trying to pass a game used item that is certified as to the autograph as being certfied as to the game use as well. And as for ASI/ESM ESM is out of business for sure and ASI either is or is fledging as I have not heard of them having a signing or anything in a long time. They started out as one company and one of the key people left to form ESM. I have heard negative things about both companies and when ASI was on Ebay they had alot of negative feedback.

Once again, a good point about a MLB authenticated autographed item being passed off as game used. As far as this unknown prefix, it's really a guessing game as to the reason. And it's all speculation until someone gets an explanation from MLB.

My suggestion would be to see what kind of price you could get for the ball.....explain to the seller the concerns about the item nicely and see what he can do on the price. If the ball turns out to be everything it is described to be, you will have yourself a great item and a bargain price. If the item does not turn out exactly as described you didnt break the bank on the item but still have a very nice ball signed and inscribed by your favorite player.

Jus my .02 but I would at least try to see if you could get it at a price that is comfortable for you given the circumstances surrounding the ball. Then if it doesnt work out you know you gave it every effort.... Hope everything works out whatever way you feel best.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    My suggestion would be to see what kind of price you could get for the ball.....explain to the seller the concerns about the item nicely and see what he can do on the price. If the ball turns out to be everything it is described to be, you will have yourself a great item and a bargain price. If the item does not turn out exactly as described you didnt break the bank on the item but still have a very nice ball signed and inscribed by your favorite player.

Jus my .02 but I would at least try to see if you could get it at a price that is comfortable for you given the circumstances surrounding the ball. Then if it doesnt work out you know you gave it every effort.... Hope everything works out whatever way you feel best.

That's a good way to look at it. Everyone knows it's a gamble sometimes in this Hobby. And sometimes you can win BIG ! It's just a matter of how much you want to bet !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post

Without being able to authenticate the ball as 100% authentic it isn't something I would want to purchase for my collection, even at $5. I prefer to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that all items I buy are legit.

But thank you for your advice.