Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Re: o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    What it is is each writer gets only one vote. The writers do not watch every game and some likely have not even seen all the candidates play this year at all. They just look at the stats and the highlight clips which favored Woodson over the others and the fact that like the Steelers and Cowboys the Packers are a national team also helped. The Saints have a rep for playing bad D and when people think of them Brees is the first person they think of. For the Vikings Jared Allen was a good candidate but everyone focuses on Farve and Peterson mania. For the Broncos Elvis deserved consideration but the team had a terriable second half and everyone thinks of Dawkins and Champ Bailey before Elvis. The Jets are not even the most popular team in New York and much of the season was consumed by Yankee mania, the Giants falling apart and Sanchez' ups and downs.

Good points about the voters not even seeing any of the play of the candidates. Sort of like the Oscars. The voters don't even have to see all the movies nominated for Best Picture when they vote. Also what you say about voters being swayed by the reputation of the Saints not being a defensive team. Voters are usually swayed by fan hysteria and general public opinion while they are glancing over the stats of candidates. Elvis belonged with the low vote totals due to the Broncos collapse. Jared Allen belongs down there too because he has the Williams brothers eight next to him, and a very solid front 7.

Sharper didn't belong down there with those guys. He had a spectacular year, and was single handedly responsible for a couple of their wins. Like I said, I don't think he deserved to win at all. If the voting was truly objective he should have received many more votes.

I feel your pain on Revis. Alot of the attention was on Sanchez who in my opinion had very little to do with the Jets' overall success. The solid running game and great Defense were the true elements of their current playoff run.
    He should have also received many more votes.

Jared Allen - two great games doesnt mean you deserve DPOY. Having half your sacks in 2 game is sweet but this is defensive player of the year, not of 2 games.

East Coast Bias - please bring up Harry Carson, and I will counter with Rickey Jackson. Depending on the year Michael Strahan will make the Hall. Not sure who is arguing that he wont. The only debate is 1st ballot or not. And his sack record is about as legit as Bonds's HR record.

Sharper - He missed games this season, which I feel bad for him and all but it takes away from the argument for any recognition of consideration for DPOY. He was also avg in the majority of games. And had 0 Forced Fumbles compared to Woodsons 4 (revis also had 0).

Dumervil - His season wasnt as strong in the 2nd half as the 1st. He also disappeared for games.

Rex Ryan showed his level of class (tempted to bring up his ol man but I wont) today when he trashed the voters for their pick and didnt have the class to give woodson his due. He liked to complain about how great his team was and his team that, but he also failed to mention that they were given a playoff spot. Its hard to be the most popular team when the franchise has been riddled with disappointment throughout its history.

I know playoffs don't count but it is ironic that Woodson got schooled this week while Revis absolutely shut down his side of the field. Woodson is one of reasons the Packers went home while Revis is one of the main reasons the Jets are still playing.....

Dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I know playoffs don't count but it is ironic that Woodson got schooled this week while Revis absolutely shut down his side of the field. Woodson is one of reasons the Packers went home while Revis is one of the main reasons the Jets are still playing.....

Dave

I kind of hang the Pack's loss more on Aaron Rogers for missing a wide open Greg Jennings on the first play of OT. Of course that Official missing the facemask(on the last play of the game) and the "helmet to helmet" on Rogers the play before the strip can share some blame too. Woodson and everyone else in the Packer D takes a distant second between those two !

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    He liked to complain about how great his team was and his team that, but he also failed to mention that they were given a playoff spot. Its hard to be the most popular team when the franchise has been riddled with disappointment throughout its history.
    Giving up 51 points in a playoff game makes the fan base a little bitter I guess?

I think you can hang the Packers loss on the defense. Aaron Rodgers played his heart out and did a fabulous job, despite missing Greg Jennings. Aaron isn;t perfect, but he's better than most. Anyway, about Woodson, as a Packer fan I'm really happy for him and does deserve it, but Reevis did have the better season and should have won the award over Woodson. But also as a die hard Packers fan I could careless about these awards because how does it help the team?

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post

Dave

How did woodson get schooled? Oh because its his job to cover all 5 of Arizonas receivers my bad. Lets forget about the FF too.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan14 View Post
    Giving up 51 points in a playoff game makes the fan base a little bitter I guess?
    Is a Jets fan trying to talk some smack? please dont make me respond to this in a serious way. Its like picking on the special needs kids, its just not fair.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    How did woodson get schooled? Oh because its his job to cover all 5 of Arizonas receivers my bad. Lets forget about the FF too.
    If Woodson is one of the reasons the Packers went home. He's one of eleven. You can blame that whole Packer defense.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    If Woodson is one of the reasons the Packers went home. He's one of eleven. You can blame that whole Packer defense.
    I think its insane to compare the two teams they played this weekend, but what the hell... Cinci is terrible passing team this season with a QB who has something seriously wrong with him(its the only way to explain why he is a shell of his former self), they have 1 good wr, and are a run oriented team. The cards are quarterbacked by the 2nd highest rated post season passer in NFL history. They have 2-3 pro bowl quality wrs and are a pass first team. chad johnson or ocho watever is no fitz and palmer is no warner. glad we got that out of the way.

The award is defensive player of the year not defensive corner of the year.