Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gloves on Ebay - Soriano collectors....

First of all, I'm not sure if this Ebay seller is a forum member and my intent is to not ruffle any feathers. Just trying to gather some opinions to see if I made the right choice a few weeks back.

A few weeks back I was offered the same Manny g/u glove seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-GA...#ht_2998wt_941

After a couple days of looking through photos and cards, etc... I could find any close matches and decided to pass. I'd call a Manny g/u #1 of my list of things I'm after but this one didn't match up with anything I could find.

My question now is... does the Soriano glove offered by the same seller appear to be legit to you Soriano folks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALFONSO-SORIANO-...#ht_2651wt_941

I know from experience and past threads that this seller is known for having a huge collection of game issued gloves (and sometimes game used). I basically want to make sure I was right in passing on the Manny glove!!

Re: Gloves on Ebay - Soriano collectors....

I personally wouldnt buy anything from this guy. All his gloves look way too NEW and I know of several sights where you can have gloves made up. Search his eBay name on the forum, Im sure you'll find something. REMEMBER this is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    First of all, I'm not sure if this Ebay seller is a forum member and my intent is to not ruffle any feathers. Just trying to gather some opinions to see if I made the right choice a few weeks back.

A few weeks back I was offered the same Manny g/u glove seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-GA...#ht_2998wt_941

After a couple days of looking through photos and cards, etc... I could find any close matches and decided to pass. I'd call a Manny g/u #1 of my list of things I'm after but this one didn't match up with anything I could find.

My question now is... does the Soriano glove offered by the same seller appear to be legit to you Soriano folks?

I know from experience and past threads that this seller is known for having a huge collection of game issued gloves (and sometimes game used). I basically want to make sure I was right in passing on the Manny glove!!
    I can't speak for the Manny glove, but this glove is very similar to one I own. There are a few small differences such as the "El Monstruo" on the pinky where mine has A. Soriano. the inside lining on the ebay glove has white "furry" lining on the back of the palm side where mine has black. another difference is mine has gold colored stamping in the palm of the golve (although is is faded from use), and also where it says made in Japan. Other than that, it looks very close. the glove I own is very small as is expected for a 2B glove. its very hard to tell the size of the ebay glove, but looks close. I actually contacted the seller last night for some additional information, but haven't heard from him yet. I will be happy to email you, or post any response. My glove came through Rob Steinmetz, and I am VERY comfortable with that.

As Liz mentioned, there have been questions raised about some of the gloves he has offered in the past, so till I hear from him I will not make any rock soild judgements. Hope this helps.

feel free to contact me direct with any questions.

Mark
    sirfuzzy@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post

I can tell you from experience going back to 2001 with Pujols items that a lot of player equipment (bats, gloves, cleats, etc) is donated by the players back to their countries.

It makes it tough when you see gloves like this that appear to be made for the player that don't match up to photo style matches.

As Michael knows, I got offered that Manny glove from a Dominican contact of mine and thanks to Michael (nationals2k9) I passed on it when we couldn't find any photo evidence to at the least make a style match.

The current seller on eBay paid a lot of money for the glove and probably thinks it was actually used by the player. It could have been but we found no photo evidence to show the player used that style glove.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I can tell you from experience going back to 2001 with Pujols items that a lot of player equipment (bats, gloves, cleats, etc) is donated by the players back to their countries.

It makes it tough when you see gloves like this that appear to be made for the player that don't match up to photo style matches.

As Michael knows, I got offered that Manny glove from a Dominican contact of mine and thanks to Michael (nationals2k9) I passed on it when we couldn't find any photo evidence to at the least make a style match.

The current seller on eBay paid a lot of money for the glove and probably thinks it was actually used by the player. It could have been but we found no photo evidence to show the player used that style glove.

What.....you mean you don't want to take a "gamble" and throw in a typical ebay "best offer" of 29.95 under your other ebay user name "Earl_Scheib"??? C'MON Andrew !!! No GUTS.....no GLORY !!!

One day, months after this auction ends and some other lucky soul takes a shot.....ONE picture might surface showing Manny wearing the glove in a photo op before batting practice, then you'll be left feeling like a loser.

Oh....wait.....I think I read somewhere that they can "photo-shop" those kinds of pictures, and make the game used item match up with the altered picture right in their garage......My bad !!!

Never mind !!!

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    "Earl_Scheib"??? C'MON Andrew !!! No GUTS.....no GLORY !!!

My bad !!!

Never mind !!!
    I don't want my car painted or my wallet cleaned! LOL
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

What.....you mean you don't want to take a "gamble" and throw in a typical ebay "best offer" of 29.95 under your other ebay user name "Earl_Scheib"??? C'MON Andrew !!! No GUTS.....no GLORY !!!

One day, months after this auction ends and some other lucky soul takes a shot.....ONE picture might surface showing Manny wearing the glove in a photo op before batting practice, then you'll be left feeling like a loser.

Oh....wait.....I think I read somewhere that they can "photo-shop" those kinds of pictures, and make the game used item match up with the altered picture right in their garage......My bad !!!

Never mind !!!
    Man, Steve, I thought you were going to stop baiting. Obviously, your last post was a subtle, intertextual shot at STLHAMMER32 and tjm5711's position from the MLB authentication thread. It may go over the moderators' heads, because it is context dependent upon having read the thread about the Palmeiro authentication. If you don't see what I mean, please read the following posts:

STLHAMMER32

tjm5711

suicide_squeeze.

How is the following an attempt to do anything other than provoke other forum members, especially tjm5711, who wanted you to leave him alone?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Man, Steve, I thought you were going to stop baiting. Obviously, your last post was a subtle, intertextual shot at STLHAMMER32 and tjm5711's position from the MLB authentication thread. It may go over the moderators' heads, because it is context dependent upon having read the thread about the Palmeiro authentication. If you don't see what I mean, please read the following posts:

STLHAMMER32

tjm5711

suicide_squeeze.

How is the following an attempt to do anything other than provoke other forum members, especially tjm5711, who wanted you to leave him alone?
    Les - I thought his humor was directly towards my comments of the risk factors I pointed out on taking a gamble on the other MLB Authentication thread using the $20,000 Sanchez jersey and the $300 authenticated balls as an example.

The underlying humor is correct at the price the gloves are listed at are not worth taking a gamble of a photo showing up in the future.

I didn't think Steve was writing that towards anyone else but me hence my response:

I don't want my car painted or my wallet cleaned! LOL
    Let's not derail another thread.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post

STLHAMMER32

tjm5711

suicide_squeeze.

OK, you know what Frik, this is getting rediculous.

You email me privately, are as nice as can be, but every day you publicly post something like THIS nonsense.

It's uncalled-for, unfriendly, unwelcome, and in MY OPINION, you are attacking me and creating an unneccessary strain on my relationship with the mods here. It's like you're trying to draw attention to the old garbage that we have all left behind.........BUT IN DOING SO are creating the exact same scenario.

Please.....knock it off. If I get one more of these types of posts from you, I'm going to report it as harrassment.

This was a humorous post I did, and in NO way meant to be related to ANTHING ELSE. I knew from past conversations that Andrew had turned down that clove from the supposedly "well-connected" Dominican connection. That game use probably came from the kids on the streets of the Republic.....not Manny.

And I also know Andrew is a Soriano collector. So if I want to make a JOKE with my friend, I certainly don't need to worry about YOU editing the meaning, INCORRECTLY, of everything I write......are we cool?

Have a nice day.....and go check your email. While you were bashing me here, again, calling me a "baiter" (YES LES, with NO SEXIST MEANING INVOLVED THERE!!!)....I was busy typing you a VERY nice responce to the email inquiry you asked me about.

Regards,

Steve

This was a humorous post I did, and in NO way meant to be related to ANTHING ELSE. I knew from past conversations that Andrew had turned down that clove from the supposedly "well-connected" Dominican connection. That game use probably came from the kids on the streets of the Republic.....not Manny.

And I also know Andrew is a Soriano collector. So if I want to make a JOKE with my friend, I certainly don't need to worry about YOU editing the meaning, INCORRECTLY, of everything I write......are we cool?

Regards,

Steve
    Steve, it is all cool with me. I had a good afternoon laugh and totally knew you were poking fun at me.

I am not offended at all except I know some may be upset at getting a good thread derailed.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500