Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Gloves on Ebay - Soriano collectors....

I wonder how difficult it would be to buy pro style gloves from Rawlings "custom glove" option on their site then have them embroidered to say whatever you choose, then sell them as game issued and game used.

HMMMMM (sarcasm) Buyer beware.

The writting is all over the wall. Not sure why so many others are afraid to say it. The only way we can protect each other in this hobby is to openly tell the truth and share what we know and also what we believe to be true. If it quacks like a duck, well you all know the saying.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Looks like it. What wording do you think it says on the glove? It is blurred.
    Andrew,

you're right, it's very blurry, but what it does look like is A. Soriano on the pinky rather than "El Monstruo". As you can guess, I poured through every picture I could find as I had definite interest in the glove. I have seen pics of Sori using a Mizuno with "El Monstruo" on the pinky, but they were from 2004-2005. The difference in the ebay glove, and the picture of Sori using a similar glove with the Rangers is the oval stamp with Made in Japan having gold print, and the ebay glove not having it in gold. see pics below.....

my 2002-2003 Sori Yankees glove:
    Name:  mysoriglove.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  172.1 KB

Sori Rangers glove with "El Monstruo":
    Name:  3072952.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  35.1 KB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    I wonder how difficult it would be to buy pro style gloves from Rawlings "custom glove" option on their site then have them embroidered to say whatever you choose, then sell them as game issued and game used.

HMMMMM (sarcasm) Buyer beware.

The writting is all over the wall. Not sure why so many others are afraid to say it. The only way we can protect each other in this hobby is to openly tell the truth and share what we know and also what we believe to be true. If it quacks like a duck, well you all know the saying.

You know, I was wondering that same thing. Even with Cleats and batting gloves too ! Good question ! Anybody know the answer ?

Andrew,

by the way, just fowarded you 2 related emails...

Mark

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I'm fairly certain it says "E-4"

On a serious note, could it be "EASTON"? That's a real stretch, as I can't make it out either.

Of course, Steve, his gloves now read "E7"

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Of course, Steve, his gloves now read "E7"

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    sometime the glove reads "A7" :P and more frequently "PO7"
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by markize View Post
    Andrew,

you're right, it's very blurry, but what it does look like is A. Soriano on the pinky rather than "El Monstruo". As you can guess, I poured through every picture I could find as I had definite interest in the glove. I have seen pics of Sori using a Mizuno with "El Monstruo" on the pinky, but they were from 2004-2005. The difference in the ebay glove, and the picture of Sori using a similar glove with the Rangers is the oval stamp with Made in Japan having gold print, and the ebay glove not having it in gold. see pics below.....

my 2002-2003 Sori Yankees glove:
    Attachment 33867

Sori Rangers glove with "El Monstruo":
    Attachment 33868
    Mark - So the gold stamped Made in Japan on this glove is embossed in the leather with no gold. Good observation!

Name:  333008057_tp.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  37.2 KB
    Attachment 33868
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Heres a photo of a glove with the El Monstruo embossed on the other index finger panel (the top instead of bottom panel). I dont see the gold on the made from japan trademark either
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Heres a photo of a glove with the El Monstruo embossed on the other index finger panel (the top instead of bottom panel). I dont see the gold on the made from japan trademark either
    joelsabi - Mark was disproving the sellers statement "You are bidding on a GAME USED GLOVE used by ALFONSO SORIANO WHEN HE PLAYED WITH THE YANKEES!"

Mark's point was it can't be a Yankees glove because the MADE IN JAPAN wasn't embossed in Gold. Could it be a glove from the last few years? Yes since the gold embossing wasn't there.

Now the question is does that Cubs glove match up to this:

Name:  333008017_o.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  85.3 KB

My thoughts have been it is a game model glove of Soriano's. Whether he used that or not is in question as it hasn't been fully style matched.

I asked Markize what year Mizuno stopped the gold embossing on the Made in Japan and seeing if he knew that. Mark has been corresponding with Mizuno on this.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

joelsabi - A further point, I believe the glove on eBay is Sori's 2nd baseman's glove while the one you showed I believe is his outfielder's glove.

When Alfonso was in Washington in 2006 he had 2 gloves. One was an infielders and one was an outfielders.

Now Sori played no infield in 2006 and played 1 game at 2nd base in 2007 and 2008 and 3 games in the infield in 2009. Interestingly enough in 2007 and 2009, he had no assists or putouts and had 2 putouts in 2008.

I would doubt you could even see much on a TV review of his infield games in 2007 and 2009 to style match the glove. Since he had 2 putouts in 2008, maybe you could see the glove on TV.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500