Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
I'm not sure there is any one person on this board that can look in the mirror and admit to themselves that every GU piece they've ever purchased will (at least) return the money that they spent on it.

If you can, you're a better person that me.
I don't consider myself a better person, because I am far from. But the first thing I ask myself is... "if I purchase this, does it have the potential to make a profit?" If the answer is NO, then I will pass on it. Even stuff for my personal collection.

I think that is in the back of every collectors head at some point. Its just more of a priority for me. Everything has a price and if you can make even $50 or $100 above what you paid then it makes that piece worth the purchase price, IMO.

Why buy something knowing that if you ever need to sell it you are going to take a loss, or not get (at least) your money back? I know most collectors do not plan on selling certain pieces in their collection, but we all know that is not realistic. Stuff happens and stuff will need to go to make room for that next "gotta have it" item, or a baby, or mortgage payments, etc.

The only downfall to places such as JO Sports is that their prices are set high enough that it minimizes, if not eliminates, any potential for resale profit. You cannot blame them because it is marketing genius, but to us average joe's that cannot afford a $3k Cutler, or a $20 Sanchez, we tend to shy away from them and wait for a better deal to come along.

We have all seen this recently with the items that JO has consigned to the auction houses. You saw that the items went for much less than their website asking prices.

I'd like to see them work a little more with us common collectors rather than cater to the rich guys with more dollars then sense. I know they used to......