Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Re: If you paid BIG $ for JO's Cutler or Sanchez

Hey guys, thanks for making an effort to try to turn this thread around and it seems that some useful information came out of it. Shall we call it a day?

Happy holidays!
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

This was a heated redirected thread that I would have added to had I been able to.

Trying to place a value on a gamer from an unproven player, some opinions were given that they thought it was excessive and bad judgement to drop so much coin on an item like that.

Others felt that the dollar amount, especially if the collector could afford it without hesitation, is insignificant if the item is a highly coveted item to the person who obviously has the means and desire to own it.

After yesterdays play-off win, with the possibility still remaining of Sanchez winning the Super Bowl his first year in the NFL......I was wondering if some of you guys still feel so strongly about the $20,000 "snafu" discussed in paying so much for his first NFL gamer?

To me, the item was a cool item regardless of his tough year. He is obviously a competitor who has the potential of being something big. It is a one-of-a-kind piece that could end up being worth a fortune, simply because it's a New York team. But on it's own merit, it's a major "first" in the spodt, and for the player. Historic pieces, "first's" and "last's" of a player who ended up being a Hall of Famer....they can reach some fairly crazy lofty values.

And what value would you place on a first-ever game used NFL jersey by the guy who won the SECOND Super Bowl for the Jets.....taking the reigns from the one and only Joe Namath? I'll bet there are a few New York faithfuls out there that would drop a $100k bomb on an item like this one, should that happen. A first ever game used Jets jersey from the year he began his career, and won the Super Bowl? Wow, nice.

I believe Dan Marino was the only other guy that comes to mind that had that opportunity. But he ran into the Montana express.

I know.....lot's of "if's" and "maybe's". But.....the chance does exist at this moment in time. And if nothing else, that $20,000 investment is looking like a guy who has suddenly gotten hot at the craps table, and is leaving all of those chips ride as he's shaking the dice for his next roll.

Maybe he craps out...we'll see.

Banned

$20,000 is way too much for that jersey. ( A passer rating of 63.0, 20 interceptions) If the Jets lose next week He will be another footnote to the season. The Sid Luckman jersey pictured went for $40,000 in an Auction a while back. You mean to tell me this guy's jersey is worth half that ? No way ! Yes, he played well yesterday, but let's face it the Jets are where they are because of that great Defense. And Sanchez's success is fueled by that solid ground game. I'm not saying he might not develop into a good QB. But, would if he tanks next year ? He could be out of the league within a couple seasons. Then how much would this be worth in that hostile New York market? The Luckman is a piece of history, about 70 years old and from a QB who won multiple titles. That Sanchez is worth $5K even on the JO price scale. No more than $1500 tops on the open/Ebay market.

But, a few people on here will rip me apart for saying that an item is overpriced. Value and price should be somewhat close in my opinion. And true people can buy or sell items for what they want. But from a buyer's standpoint: Why pay an overly inflated price for something? Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be coming out of the wood work to answer that question for us real soon ! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I'm not sure there is any one person on this board that can look in the mirror and admit to themselves that every GU piece they've ever purchased will (at least) return the money that they spent on it.

If you can, you're a better person that me.
    IMF - I agree with you as I have a lot of Sosa, McGwire, Clemens, Bonds, etc.

I am late in the game on this debate so excuse me for not being well informed. Do we know for sure the Sanchez jersey sold for $20,000 and was paid for? Was $20,000 an asking price and maybe it sold at a negotiated price?

Was it on an auction?

Just wondering where the $20,000 number came from.

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    IMF - I agree with you as I have a lot of Sosa, McGwire, Clemens, Bonds, etc.

I am late in the game on this debate so excuse me for not being well informed. Do we know for sure the Sanchez jersey sold for $20,000 and was paid for? Was $20,000 an asking price and maybe it sold at a negotiated price?

Was it on an auction?

Just wondering where the $20,000 number came from.

Thanks!
    20K was JO's list price. Sure, a lower price could have been negotiated. but unless Jarrod(JO) himself makes a post on this thread saying it went for less, it's mere speculation. So, I think it's safe to assume the 20K price was met.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    $20,000 is way too much for that jersey. ( A passer rating of 63.0, 20 interceptions) If the Jets lose next week He will be another footnote to the season. The Sid Luckman jersey pictured went for $40,000 in an Auction a while back. You mean to tell me this guy's jersey is worth half that ? No way ! Yes, he played well yesterday, but let's face it the Jets are where they are because of that great Defense. And Sanchez's success is fueled by that solid ground game. I'm not saying he might not develop into a good QB. But, would if he tanks next year ? He could be out of the league within a couple seasons. Then how much would this be worth in that hostile New York market? The Luckman is a piece of history, about 70 years old and from a QB who won multiple titles. That Sanchez is worth $5K even on the JO price scale. No more than $1500 tops on the open/Ebay market.

But, a few people on here will rip me apart for saying that an item is overpriced. Value and price should be somewhat close in my opinion. And true people can buy or sell items for what they want. But from a buyer's standpoint: Why pay an overly inflated price for something? Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be coming out of the wood work to answer that question for us real soon ! LOL
    Is Luckman photo matched and proven 100% legit. That is almost impossible to do with older jerseys. What is the history of Luckman jersey anyways. What season/games was it used. Today as game used collectors we are lucky in that we pretty much can be assured what we are getting is real from JO Sports/NFL.com auctions ECT. I'd rather overpay for something I know is real and photo matched like the Sanchez and knowing 1000% it was his first pro jersey he ever used. Compared to an old legends jersey I have no idea how real it is. Like said before to most of us including me 20k is something I'd never spend on any jersey. But for some people 20k is drop in bucket. So more power to them if they can afford to buy it. You could sit and pick apart price on any high dollar purchase. Was someone paying 45k for Sidney Crosby 2nd period Winter Classic jersey crazy? Yes, but who cares.
    http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...aunbr=90479194
    Always amazed how people on this site are all bent over shape over this Sanchez jersey. Makes for interesting fodder. The ones I really feel sorry for are all those older proven fake stuff people paid a lot of money for in major auctions houses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by indyred View Post
    Is Luckman photo matched and proven 100% legit. That is almost impossible to do with older jerseys. What is the history of Luckman jersey anyways. What season/games was it used. Today as game used collectors we are lucky in that we pretty much can be assured what we are getting is real from JO Sports/NFL.com auctions ECT. I'd rather overpay for something I know is real and photo matched like the Sanchez and knowing 1000% it was his first pro jersey he ever used. Compared to an old legends jersey I have no idea how real it is. Like said before to most of us including me 20k is something I'd never spend on any jersey. But for some people 20k is drop in bucket. So more power to them if they can afford to buy it. You could sit and pick apart price on any high dollar purchase. Was someone paying 45k for Sidney Crosby 2nd period Winter Classic jersey crazy? Yes, but who cares.
    http://auction.nhl.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...aunbr=90479194
    Always amazed how people on this site are all bent over shape over this Sanchez jersey. Makes for interesting fodder. The ones I really feel sorry for are all those older proven fake stuff people paid a lot of money for in major auctions houses.

As far as the Luckman Jersey's authenticity? I don't think any of us on here are qualified to determine or question that. There is just no way you can compare a proven Game Used jersey of a below-average one year QB to that of a Hall of Famer. The two are in completely different leagues and there is no relative scale to measure the two side by side. I was just comparing the purchase prices relative to each items obvious significance.(Or lack there of in the Sanchez's case) Sure 20k might be a drop in the bucket for some people, but I am referring that gap between the value and the purchase price. There's just NO WAY that's worth 20K.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    20K was JO's list price. Sure, a lower price could have been negotiated. but unless Jarrod(JO) himself makes a post on this thread saying it went for less, it's mere speculation. So, I think it's safe to assume the 20K price was met.
    Thanks for that. It's all interesting to read this and the comments Indyred made too and his example of the $45,000 Sidney Crosby shirt.

To each their own. I would love to talk to the buyers of both of these items as I would love to know how much they like their purchases.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Thanks for that. It's all interesting to read this and the comments Indyred made too and his example of the $45,000 Sidney Crosby shirt.

To each their own. I would love to talk to the buyers of both of these items as I would love to know how much they like their purchases.

Jarrod is a member on here and I recently read a post by him. I'm not sure if he'd disclose the final purchase price. But you could ask.

Banned

Oh yeah, I'd love to hear from the two buyers of the $45,000 Hockey shirt, and Sanchez 20K item.