Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: If you paid BIG $ for JO's Cutler or Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Maybe, but I am of the same mindset as you. I have collected GU for only maybe 10 years, almost exclusively one player until recently, and I will pay whatever necessary to acquire my player. Have never once considered resale value. It may fetch pennies on the dollar one day, but I subconsciously or otherwise justify any GU purchase for my collection as: I get to keep it and enjoy it, vs. rounds of golf, days on the lake fishing, or other "experiences" which, although fun to priceless, are fleeting moments with diminishing returns also.

Travel is awesome, but you will not get a return on that either. I truly must say I have never regarded market value or resale value as a reason to hit or stay.

Also collecting Civil War artifacts and personal effects, mostly focused on a very narrow subset, I know I could flip some of these items for substantial profit, but would then be minus the intrinsic value of the item. One of my failings has always been that money is not important to me, but "stuff" is........

I agree with whomever said the value is set by the purchaser. It's a personal thing. Not all purchases are intelligent ones but some are driven by the "gotta have 'em all" mentality.
    Hey, I was trying to reach you but accidentally deleted your email. Did you see there's an Eisenreich bat closing on ebay this evening?

ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

One positive spin you can put on ANY purchases - regardless of price - is that you now have a RECEIPT showing what you paid, so regardless of what the Secondary Market may bear, as far as Insurance, they will cover the $$$ you spent in case of fire, theft, etc.

That is why I photograph every item in my collection as well as scan each COA and Receipt and am building a master Excel Spreadsheet that has EVERYTHING I own (whether PC or for sale/trade) and I store multiple copies - on the home PC, on my external HDD (that is web accessible by me), on web based storage sites (Photobucket, etc) as well as backing up on a 4G memeory stick that I always take with me.

Also, like many on here, I don't buy for resale. Do I sell and trade stuff? Absolutely. But I buy because I want it and I set the purchase price I'm willing to pay, and if it goes over that price? Well then, I'll just start looking for the next item I want.

I see lots of stuff sell for more than I think it's worth (at least more than it's worth to me), but I'm sure there are jerseys out there that I would love to own and would probably pay more (if I could afford it) than the average collector would consider to be sane.

It all comes down to Personal Taste I guess.

But, like what seems to be every other thread here, I agree that this bashing and name calling has to end. Have I gotten into disagreements here? Of course, but I have never had to resort to name calling to make my point. The same goes with the Religious/Political/etc banter that seems to permeate into lots of threads around here. I don't care what your Religious / Political spin is and I'm sure that you don't want to know mine. I understand some members have very strong feelings on these issues, but THIS is NOT the place, and if I have to keep reading through people's personal agendas / slants on them, I will be leaving here like so many others. It is NO LONGER FUN - which is what a HOBBY is supposed to be. This isn't a LIFE or DEATH deal - but with some members it's starting to feel that way.

Let's get back to the topic (and Site name) at hand - GAME USED UNIVERSE. The rule I hold myself to on these sites is simple - if it ain't sports / collecting related, it has no place here.

Many times, I open a thread about Joe Schmoe's recent pick up and by the 3rd or 4th post, I'm reading some drivel about the Health Bill or this or that about Obama, etc, etc and I'm like, "How the hell did this become the subject matter of a thread about the Jersey this guy just purchased?"

If you want to rant about what's wrong (or right even) with our country, GO TO A NEWS BLOG. I come here to ESCAPE that crap - not to let it permeate my life.

That's my .02

- Chris

"Why do you guys think a person would pay that much for a players jersey that is...."

1) they are loaded and a big jets fan and money is not an issue

2) a sanchez family member

3) fans of teams or players will always pay more to get the items they want, i have and will do it with my own collections because items are worth more to me than to others.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Hey, I was trying to reach you but accidentally deleted your email. Did you see there's an Eisenreich bat closing on ebay this evening?

ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
    Did indeed, hope to "overpay" for it! Thanks for mentioning it!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by clinton2828 View Post
    "Why do you guys think a person would pay that much for a players jersey that is...."

1) they are loaded and a big jets fan and money is not an issue

2) a sanchez family member

3) fans of teams or players will always pay more to get the items they want, i have and will do it with my own collections because items are worth more to me than to others.
    AGREED!!!

It's like my Matt Holliday 2006 ASG GU BP Jersey that I got through Andrew Lang... MLB still had it available almost 4 years later... why? I'm sure because most people thought $800 + for the jersey was an insane price. To me, the jersey is worth way more as it is from Matt's 1st ever ASG and because Matt knows who I am. He gladly signed it and added a Game Used inscription when I showed him the MLB hologram and a print out of the Holo description verifying it from MLB as Game Used.

It is now a cornerstone of my Holliday Collection. I didn't buy it for resale, but it's funny how many Holliday collectors I know thought I was insane, but AFTER it was Autographed and Inscribed, they all now want it for a premium over what I paid...

Again, I'll go with the simple answer - PERSONAL TASTE / PREFERENCE. No one owes anybody any reason or explanation beyond that.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    AGREED!!!

It's like my Matt Holliday 2006 ASG GU BP Jersey that I got through Andrew Lang... MLB still had it available almost 4 years later... why? I'm sure because most people thought $800 + for the jersey was an insane price. To me, the jersey is worth way more as it is from Matt's 1st ever ASG and because Matt knows who I am. He gladly signed it and added a Game Used inscription when I showed him the MLB hologram and a print out of the Holo description verifying it from MLB as Game Used.

It is now a cornerstone of my Holliday Collection. I didn't buy it for resale, but it's funny how many Holliday collectors I know thought I was insane, but AFTER it was Autographed and Inscribed, they all now want it for a premium over what I paid...

Again, I'll go with the simple answer - PERSONAL TASTE / PREFERENCE. No one owes anybody any reason or explanation beyond that.

- Chris

Chris, Thank you for that statement. I live by it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    One positive spin you can put on ANY purchases - regardless of price - is that you now have a RECEIPT showing what you paid, so regardless of what the Secondary Market may bear, as far as Insurance, they will cover the $$$ you spent in case of fire, theft, etc.

That is why I photograph every item in my collection as well as scan each COA and Receipt and am building a master Excel Spreadsheet that has EVERYTHING I own (whether PC or for sale/trade) and I store multiple copies - on the home PC, on my external HDD (that is web accessible by me), on web based storage sites (Photobucket, etc) as well as backing up on a 4G memeory stick that I always take with me.

Also, like many on here, I don't buy for resale. Do I sell and trade stuff? Absolutely. But I buy because I want it and I set the purchase price I'm willing to pay, and if it goes over that price? Well then, I'll just start looking for the next item I want.

I see lots of stuff sell for more than I think it's worth (at least more than it's worth to me), but I'm sure there are jerseys out there that I would love to own and would probably pay more (if I could afford it) than the average collector would consider to be sane.

It all comes down to Personal Taste I guess.

But, like what seems to be every other thread here, I agree that this bashing and name calling has to end. Have I gotten into disagreements here? Of course, but I have never had to resort to name calling to make my point. The same goes with the Religious/Political/etc banter that seems to permeate into lots of threads around here. I don't care what your Religious / Political spin is and I'm sure that you don't want to know mine. I understand some members have very strong feelings on these issues, but THIS is NOT the place, and if I have to keep reading through people's personal agendas / slants on them, I will be leaving here like so many others. It is NO LONGER FUN - which is what a HOBBY is supposed to be. This isn't a LIFE or DEATH deal - but with some members it's starting to feel that way.

Let's get back to the topic (and Site name) at hand - GAME USED UNIVERSE. The rule I hold myself to on these sites is simple - if it ain't sports / collecting related, it has no place here.

Many times, I open a thread about Joe Schmoe's recent pick up and by the 3rd or 4th post, I'm reading some drivel about the Health Bill or this or that about Obama, etc, etc and I'm like, "How the hell did this become the subject matter of a thread about the Jersey this guy just purchased?"

If you want to rant about what's wrong (or right even) with our country, GO TO A NEWS BLOG. I come here to ESCAPE that crap - not to let it permeate my life.

That's my .02

- Chris
    I guess we agree to disagree, Chris. What is an "agenda" to you is to me a very real fear of having my life end years before it should due to legislation that will make me a prime candidate for refusal of rationed medical treatment based on health issues (kidney, heart, blood circulation) that I'm burdened with for the rest of whatever life I have to yet live.

To the sports topic at hand: The prices stated seem extremely steep to me, and I'd never pay them. Nonetheless, it's a free country, and, if you've got the money to spend, knock yourself out. As one poster said, most sports fans would think the rank and file members here are off their rocker for what we pay for GU memorabilia as much as some of us laugh at a guy spending 20 grand on a Sanchez jersey. Bottom line, what we choose to collect is our business, and no one else's. It's not up to us to evangelize other collectors and fans as to why they should accept our purchase decisions, and those who have the money and spend it in ways we don't understand or approve of have no need to educate us. There's still a lot out there to chase after, for those with means and those who are white collar or blue collar workers. Focus on that, not the sanity or lack thereof that a millionaire possesses for their purchase decisions.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

There's a fine line between buying something you like and just crazy. 20k or 3k is outrageous for any jersey in my eyes. How much did it cost the team to buy a jersey and then you are getting it used. Yeah the use adds value to it, but not thousands of dollars. Yeah, if you bought those jerseys, that's a shame. Sanchez has more upside than Cutler, but doesn't like like he will be a solid QB for years to come. A wise investment would have been Stafford, Rodgers, etc.

I wonder if that Sanchez would have went for over 20K if it was placed on NBA Auctions?

Banned

This is the example of a Jay Cutler Jersey that was just sold on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jay-Cutler-Chica...item35a59b6239