Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: If you paid BIG $ for JO's Cutler or Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I'm not sure there is any one person on this board that can look in the mirror and admit to themselves that every GU piece they've ever purchased will (at least) return the money that they spent on it.

If you can, you're a better person that me.
    I don't consider myself a better person, because I am far from. But the first thing I ask myself is... "if I purchase this, does it have the potential to make a profit?" If the answer is NO, then I will pass on it. Even stuff for my personal collection.

I think that is in the back of every collectors head at some point. Its just more of a priority for me. Everything has a price and if you can make even $50 or $100 above what you paid then it makes that piece worth the purchase price, IMO.

Why buy something knowing that if you ever need to sell it you are going to take a loss, or not get (at least) your money back? I know most collectors do not plan on selling certain pieces in their collection, but we all know that is not realistic. Stuff happens and stuff will need to go to make room for that next "gotta have it" item, or a baby, or mortgage payments, etc.

The only downfall to places such as JO Sports is that their prices are set high enough that it minimizes, if not eliminates, any potential for resale profit. You cannot blame them because it is marketing genius, but to us average joe's that cannot afford a $3k Cutler, or a $20 Sanchez, we tend to shy away from them and wait for a better deal to come along.

We have all seen this recently with the items that JO has consigned to the auction houses. You saw that the items went for much less than their website asking prices.

I'd like to see them work a little more with us common collectors rather than cater to the rich guys with more dollars then sense. I know they used to......

this thread is unproductive and causes nothing but ill will and is another example of why activity on this board is dropping.

why do we need to call someone out for buying something they wanted.

remember a jersey is worth what one person is willing to pay not what 99.99 percent of what people think it is worth.

i say we close this thread and keep this board more positive toward helping the hobby. And who is to say the person who bought the sanchez for $20k could have later sold it privately for $25k, we just don’t know.

JO reminds me a lot like Steiner. That's why I stick with MeiGray, their prices are more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    I don't consider myself a better person, because I am far from. But the first thing I ask myself is... "if I purchase this, does it have the potential to make a profit?" If the answer is NO, then I will pass on it. Even stuff for my personal collection..
    I've been collecting GU since the mid 1980's and I have to admit that potential for profit has never entered my mind once for any of the pieces for my personal collection..

I'm certainly prepared to sell my items if I had to (loss of job, medical emergencies, mortgage, etc.), but I know that I can only expect to receive back the market value of the item at the time of sale (which may be more or less than what I paid for it).

Am I in the minority here?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clinton2828 View Post
    this thread is unproductive and causes nothing but ill will and is another example of why activity on this board is dropping.

remember a jersey is worth what one person is willing to pay not what 99.99 percent of what people think it is worth.

i say we close this thread and keep this board more positive toward helping the hobby. And who is to say the person who bought the sanchez for $20k could have later sold it privately for $25k, we just don’t know.
    Would I spend that kind of money for that kind of jersey? NO however, how a person chooses to spend their money is up to them. They earned it so they can spend it whatever way they wish.

Just a thought - And a very Merry Christmas to all.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Banned

I've been collecting GU since the mid 1980's and I have to admit that potential for profit has never entered my mind once for any of the pieces for my personal collection..

I'm certainly prepared to sell my items if I had to (loss of job, medical emergencies, mortgage, etc.), but I know that I can only expect to receive back the market value of the item at the time of sale (which may be more or less than what I paid for it).

I agree with you. GU stuff is not much of an investment. Say you invest a grand in a jersey and three years later you sell it for $100 more than you paid, that is a 10% gain which amounts to only a 3.3333 percent gain per year over the three years. When inflation is factored in you are gaining even less than that. Also the longer you hold a piece the less it is worth for most players, including the superstars. People have a what have you done for me lately mentality and when a guy is retired and out of the spotlight for a couple of years people move onto the players of the moment and the hyped up young players, which causes demand and hence price to drop for the retired players. Look at JO or MEI Gray's websites they have jerseys of current hall of famers and retired players who are locks for the Hall selling for less than guys who have done very little if anything at the pro level. There are exceptions of course for example if someone was lucky enough to get a Brady or Romo jersey from their rookie years when they were nobodies and the jerseys would have went for a song they would obviously be sitting on a huge return no matter when they sold the jersey.

Maybe, but I am of the same mindset as you. I have collected GU for only maybe 10 years, almost exclusively one player until recently, and I will pay whatever necessary to acquire my player. Have never once considered resale value. It may fetch pennies on the dollar one day, but I subconsciously or otherwise justify any GU purchase for my collection as: I get to keep it and enjoy it, vs. rounds of golf, days on the lake fishing, or other "experiences" which, although fun to priceless, are fleeting moments with diminishing returns also.

Travel is awesome, but you will not get a return on that either. I truly must say I have never regarded market value or resale value as a reason to hit or stay.

Also collecting Civil War artifacts and personal effects, mostly focused on a very narrow subset, I know I could flip some of these items for substantial profit, but would then be minus the intrinsic value of the item. One of my failings has always been that money is not important to me, but "stuff" is........

I agree with whomever said the value is set by the purchaser. It's a personal thing. Not all purchases are intelligent ones but some are driven by the "gotta have 'em all" mentality.

I agree. Who cares what someone else pays? And what’s with the name calling? Would you guys feel better if we started running future purchases past the forum for a “dumbass” check? If the buyer wants to pay $100k for Sanchez’s steering wheel cover, let him. It’s his money; he can do whatever he wants with it. And good for the buyers for not caring about resale value or the opinions of the price police. That’s the way it should be. Good for JO too for getting $20k for a dirty shirt worn once by an unproven rookie. I’ve got a few can’t miss jerseys I’d love to unload for 1/10 of that. The funny thing is 99.99% of the general public would probably tell you that only a dumbass would pay more than $100 for that jersey.

i say we close this thread and keep this board more positive toward helping the hobby.
    I have to agree here. What is the purpose of this thread? Part of one of the rules we have is:

It is expected that all posts are to be created with a sincere attempt to benefit the hobby.

People may have different reasons for paying whatever they do for an item. If there is something that the hobby can benefit from by questioning what someone is willing to pay for an item please let me know. Otherwise, we would ask that we try to focus on the rule above.
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    I have to agree here. What is the purpose of this thread? Part of one of the rules we have is:

It is expected that all posts are to be created with a sincere attempt to benefit the hobby.

People may have different reasons for paying whatever they do for an item. If there is something that the hobby can benefit from by questioning what someone is willing to pay for an item please let me know. Otherwise, we would ask that we try to focus on the rule above.

I cannot answer why this thread was started. I will own up to my own opinions though, and that is exactly what they are opinions.

On your point Chris, maybe a more productive way to continue this thread would be to go off what CLINTON2828 originally stated:

"a jersey is worth what one person is willing to pay not what 99.99 percent of what people think it is worth"......so lets go with it then.

Why do you guys think a person would pay that much for a players jersey that is....

A) unproven as a NFL rookie and has thus far fell short of the expectations and hype surrounding him?

B) leads the NFL in interceptions, only trailing Brett Favre's record of 29 INT's by 4 with 2 games left to play?

Since it is ultimately us as collectors that determine the market value of game used items, why do you think a person would pay the amount that they did for those 2 jerseys?