Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Show Us Your College Game Used Items

Hi Tom,

We only have one of MarQueis' away jerseys, but have one more from this season on the way. We just set up the helmets and other stuff for display.

Shawn
    gridrionheroes22@yahoo.com
    www.gopherjerseys.com

Picked up this Spartans helmet. I believe practice worn 2002 as there is a mailing label from the MSU Atheltic Department dated Fed of 2003. But since no numbers on the back am assuming practice or sent to be refurbished but never was?

Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org

After watching and bidding on numerous jerseys, only ended up winning one from the Academy's auction. This 2011 NAVY QB Trey Miller "rookie" jersey, which he wore as a Sophomore. Miller now wears #1 since they changed their jersey style and he was (initially) named the starter in 2012. For only winning one jersey, happy that this was won with my minimum bid!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

These are recent donations to my Alameda Sports Collection. The Moyer jersey is game issued and the equipment manager kindly through in his locker nameplate which I love because it has our hometown listed on it.

Jeff Murphy, Middle Tennessee State University
    Antoine Young, Western New Mexico Unversity
    Wes Moyer, Yale University

I had a splendid experience at Ben Roethlisberger's Miami University Hall of Fame Induction Dinner this evening. Ben was inducted alongside his posthumous coach, Terry Hoeppner. Ben's emotions and words were a great tribute to Coach Hoeppner.

I had brought a ball for which I frankly am still working toward a decent historical knowledge. I went up to Ben shortly before dinner and told him I had something I thought he might like to see. He smiled immediately as he saw the Redhawks logo on the ball's finish and then he began examining the ball pretty closely. I am still uncertain whether the was actually used in practice and/or games... and whether it was definitively ever touched by Ben in 2003, but I loved the ball 10 times more the moment Ben remarked about the ball to the effect "this ball has a lot of history." Another former player at the event informed that the ball was a new model/style in '03.

I enjoyed a normal human conversation with "Big Ben" and he seemed to find my challenge of being a proud Miami alum simultaneous with being a Bengals fan pretty humorous. After talking, when I informed him that I'd be honored if he choose to sign the ball a big guy I believe to have been his bodyguard was suddenly present. But Ben very graciously reached for my pen and took his time to choose a place to autograph the ball. When Ben handed it back to me, he asked that I not tell others in the room he'd signed (so that the "flood gates" wouldn't be opened). After thanking him, I felt like a little kid and discretely walked the ball around the perimeter of the room (rather than taking a direct route back to my table).

Later, listening to the speeches from Ben (which truely honored Terry Hoeppner) and Terry's wife really fully made me appreciate my good fortune for observing a special night in the history at Miami University. It also helped me to appreciate Ben on a level different from what I've seen during his player career. Ben showcased humor as a nice compliment to heartfelt emotions, even joking about a fictitious "Brian" who had been accidentally introduced (instead of Ben).

Ben, if you ever happen to read this: thank you for helping me to cherish your contribution to Miami University Athletics. If anybody ever happens to have a game used jersey, helmet, etc of Ben's available for me to purchase, please contact me: plettner at fuse.net. If anybody is so kind to sell me something, I'd be more than happy to keep the possession confidential.

"dplettn," what a great story and class move by Ben. Indeed a special evening and now even more special so with a signed game used ball from the bowl!

Thank you for sharing.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

Quote Originally Posted by tom1315 View Post
    "dplettn," what a great story and class move by Ben. Indeed a special evening and now even more special so with a signed game used ball from the bowl!

Thank you for sharing.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

You are right about Ben's class move... and frankly that is what is important. To be clear though, I am still learning about the ball. I do not have absolute knowledge whether it was used in any game (much less the GMAC bowl). The painting on its panel honors the season in its entirely. I don't have any specific provenance on the ball. It is my understanding that its the same model that was used in '03, but markings on the white that may have been applied by refs (for games) and/or coaches (for practice) appear to have been mudded over -- and I don't even know when.

One of Ben's former teammates further informed me last evening that the ball had been a new style/model in '03. Regardless of the ball's specific use (which I can only speculate about), I have a strong appreciation for it. Especially now.

I just came across this jersey and my father, who attended Clemson in the 70's and has had season tickets since 75, saw it and immediately recognized it. It is a Raymond Priester Centennial jersey. For those not familiar with Clemson he set and still holds Clemson's Rushing yards record for Career, Season, and Game. The year this jersey is from (1996) is the season he set the season record, not to mention it is from the Centennial year. I saw it for sale and jumped on it as the guy selling it obviously did not know what he had and seemed like no one else knew either. I can not find any game pictures from him, and I would love to photo match it. If anyone has any info please message me. Thanks!

His statistics:

Career Season Game
    RUSHING
    Raymond Priester
    3.966 (1994-97)

Raymond Priester
    1,345 (1996)

Raymond Priester
    263 (Duke 1995)

Pics:

Ole Miss Compass Bowl jersey and special grey jersey......