Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Re: Post Your Photo-matched Game-used Items Here

Interesting finds here.

I think it would be more helpful to me, and possibly others if you could point out details on the item and the photo which show that it's an exact match.

Remember- we're using the true definition of photo match, not style match, so show off the details- bat marks, dirt marks, helmet marks etc.

Eric

Banned

Could someone please explain to me how some of these items are photo-matched?

Batting gloves and cleats? I do not believe these are photo-matched but style matched, anyone else agree with me?

Unless there is a distinctive characteristic that stands out, you can not photo match an item. Pinstripes on a jersey, stains, rips, tears, hit marks, etc...

I feel many people just want there item to be the one in the photo, so they start seeing things. Again, a photo-match must have a characteristic such as listed above. Just because an item was signed by the player that he used it on a special day, the photo-matching is great, but unless there is something amazing such as the two jerseys with pin-stripe locational matches (that Yankees jersey is so cool) it is very hard to call an item photo-matched.

I have a Tom Kozelko 1973-74 bullets home jersey I feel is a true photo match. Note the second 2 on the front of the jersey has a slight gap in between the end of the last red stripe and the beginning of the white body of the jersey. The second photo shows the same small gap.

Banned

From the MEARS Forum posted by Dave Grob:

"Photo Matching"... What Is It That You Think You Are Doing?

June 10 2006 at 11:12 AM Dave Grob If you have read any number of pieces I have done that have involved imagery analysis, you will also know that I detest the phrase “photo match”. While I applaud the use of imagery to ascertain information about a jersey or a bat it is my opinion that this phrase is overused as it is misused.

I am seeing this both from collectors and hobby/industry professionals. Everyone wants to claim a photo match, but there is a lot more to this than just matching numbers and pinstripes. In many instances a person will have claimed to “photo matched” this jersey while only using a picture of either the front or the back. The pictures need to show the jersey from multiple angles and really should be from the same date or event.

The other thing I seem to find lacking in this work is the lack of mensuration. Where is the scale in the picture that permits the person to say the patch on the left shoulder of my jersey is 1 ½ inches up from the end of the sleeve and the one in the picture is the same 1 ½ inches? How do you confirm letter and numeral size in a photograph?

The other thing that must be understood and shown is what are the distinguishing features that make this the jersey at the exclusion of other possibilities. On one hand collectors and hobby professionals will “poo-poo” a jersey because of some minor variation, yet these same individuals will claim “photo match” because “no two jerseys are the same.” Which one is it folks? I have a piece scheduled to run next Tuesday on “variations” to highlight much of this.

I feel very comfortable with my position and knowledge base with respect to imagery analysis for a couple of good reasons. I have been trained to do and have done it professionally for well over a decade and I am not talking about doing it as a hobbyist.

While I am not passing judgment on a persons opinion as to whether they have in fact “photo matched” a jersey or a bat. I am saying that if you don’t have the photo sampling by angle and completeness, have nothing to confirm scale, and have not shown with great specificity why this jersey or bat is the same as the one in the photograph at the exclusion of other possibilities, then I would ask you to really consider with all objectivity, do you really have a photo match.

Just My Thoughts…

Dave Grob

http://www.network54.com/Forum/42624...+You+Are+Doing

Quote Originally Posted by trsent

Batting gloves and cleats? I do not believe these are photo-matched but style matched, anyone else agree with me?

Unless there is a distinctive characteristic that stands out, you can not photo match an item. Pinstripes on a jersey, stains, rips, tears, hit marks, etc...

I feel many people just want there item to be the one in the photo, so they start seeing things. Again, a photo-match must have a characteristic such as listed above. Just because an item was signed by the player that he used it on a special day, the photo-matching is great, but unless there is something amazing such as the two jerseys with pin-stripe locational matches (that Yankees jersey is so cool) it is very hard to call an item photo-matched.

I believe my Carter jersey is the one in the video and doubt there were multiple sets used for the filming. I can see the red stains on the unform pants in the photo on the back of the VHS jacket. In addition the way GARY and 8 line up on the jersey is exact.

I do agree that there must be a distinction between style match and exact jersey in the photo. To be able to photo match an GU item to the exact item you possess there must be tell-tail indications such as dirt stains, hit marks, pinstripe pattern, etc.

We must not get the two confused.

-David

If you were referring to my post then you got it all wrong. My items were the exact pictures of them wearing the cleats and gloves I have. I knew what exact date they wore them and I looked up that date on getty images and found pics of them wearing it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10
    If you were referring to my post then you got it all wrong. My items were the exact pictures of them wearing the cleats and gloves I have. I knew what exact date they wore them and I looked up that date on getty images and found pics of them wearing it.
    Great, you have a style match because you cannot show any exact science proof that the items are the same. I do not care the dates of the use or the photos. Unless you see a stain, scratch, rip, or something amazing, that is a photo match. When you show a picture that has nothing to make the item appear identical but your word or the players word, then it is a style match.

Can you believe, I got a phone call over this from someone telling me to post a reply before I left town? Isn't there something better we can debate weather your gloves are photo matched or style matched?

Folks,

This is an interesting discussion and there are some phenomenal posts of photo-matched items here. Thanks to everyone who is contributing or will contribute. I am further grateful for the LTC Dave Grob post that Joel reminded us of ... and I am glad to know that this is MEARS' official position on photo-matching. The only thing I would disagree with LTC Grob about, though, is that there are many times for which only one in-action photo is needed to photo-match an item (there are some perfect examples in this thread - the Varitek bat, for insance). I think the bottom line is that, no matter what the evidence, it must definitively demonstrate that the item is the exact same item that is shown in the in-action photo (I believe Eric, Joel, LTC Grob, and others will all agree to this - but feel free to chime in if your take on things differs). Just as with the terms game-worn and player-issued, folks are free to define terms and concepts as they wish - it is a free country, of course. Still, it is helpful for us to have a normative set of defnitions of terms and concepts and I think it's great that folks are contributing posts of not only photo-matched items, but also ideas and thoughts about the alternative terms photo-matched and style-matched. I look forward to seeing other posts.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Great, you have a style match because you cannot show any exact science proof that the items are the same. I do not care the dates of the use or the photos. Unless you see a stain, scratch, rip, or something amazing, that is a photo match. When you show a picture that has nothing to make the item appear identical but your word or the players word, then it is a style match.
    I never knew that there was difference between style and photo match. Thanks for informing me

Banned

What?