Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Robert Edwards Auction Shock

My first experience consigning to a major auction resulted in a nightmare. My Brian Uralcher jersey sold for only $1,300 in the REA Auction. Everyone always says how REA brings in the best prices but I guess it goes to show that such isn't always true. I am hoping that the Nicks playoff jersey and Von Miller 1st jersey i consigned to Grey Flannel do better or i will have lost my faith in auction houses. I traded a jersey I paid 4 grand for straight up for the Uralcher. the last time REA had one it went for over 3k and it was a beauty someone got a great deal. I would have gotten more on Ebay.

Re: Robert Edwards Auction Shock

Sorry to hear that legal. I consigned an item to an auction house last year and didn't get anything close to what I thought they might bring considering the guy was a HOFer. I wasn't told prior to consigning that they wouldn't be included in the catalog or at the live auction which was upsetting to find out after the fact.

Anyhow, I always associate REA with baseball and not any of the other major sports. Seems like GFC might be best for football and basketball. Good luck with the Nicks and Miller jerseys!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    My first experience consigning to a major auction resulted in a nightmare. My Brian Uralcher jersey sold for only $1,300 in the REA Auction. Everyone always says how REA brings in the best prices but I guess it goes to show that such isn't always true. I am hoping that the Nicks playoff jersey and Von Miller 1st jersey i consigned to Grey Flannel do better or i will have lost my faith in auction houses. I traded a jersey I paid 4 grand for straight up for the Uralcher. the last time REA had one it went for over 3k and it was a beauty someone got a great deal. I would have gotten more on Ebay.

My bad luck consignment story is I once bought for $3,000 a rare 1873 Boston Bostons team cabinet photo including George and Harry Wright and Al Spalding, consigned it to one of the big auction houses where it sold for $1,500, only to see it a few years later sell for $17,000!

The one good thing about the cabinet photo fiasco is I got to boast that I once owned a cabinet photo worth $17,000

Stories like these are what keeps me for sending items to auction houses.

Why not just put reserves on the items? Is there an extra charge or reason for not doing so when consigning to auction houses??
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I have had that happen too and it really is a horrible feeling to see your items end up that way. For a nice Urlacher jersey with provenance, what is the normal price range, about $4k-$7k?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maverick14 View Post
    Why not just put reserves on the items? Is there an extra charge or reason for not doing so when consigning to auction houses??
    Other than AMI they won't let you put reserves on them usually. I know GFC and REA don't allow that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    I have had that happen too and it really is a horrible feeling to see your items end up that way. For a nice Urlacher jersey with provenance, what is the normal price range, about $4k-$7k?
    Mine was originally from NFL Auctions. i was expecting 3-4k. The last one REA had sold for in that range. $1,300 has to be a record low.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post
    Stories like these are what keeps me for sending items to auction houses.
    Unless my GFC items do well, I am going to be doing the same. At least on Ebay you keep control and can end auction if your item is not doing well.