Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Re: @ videos that can bring a tear to a GU collector's eye

I definitely didn't know and almost fell off my chair when I saw it in the video! I have been moving alot of my Bills jerseys and Jarrod picked it up off of Ebay. All he said was that he needed it right away.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole thing? It certainly seems to take away from the hobby, yet at the same time increaes the value of our items by reducing the Supply. I'm not sure that there are tons of Lee Evans out there and that is probably why Jarrod jumped on it.

JO asked me for a list of available Jerseys, but I havent had a chance to put it together and I think I will hold off because it really does leave you with a weird feeling.

I know this forum is all about game used items but..... as we have learned lately, one "seller" was selling bogus game used items to be used on cards.

I am glad to see at least one company going to a reputable source to buy the jerseys. We know those jerseys ARE game used. No matter how much we hate it, how much we complain about it, people are GOING TO CONTINUE to buy game used cards. If those same folks find out that that the cards they own may be bogus, it may be enough to push them right out of the hobby. We can't afford to lose more collectors.

But if that same person finds out that yes, my jersey piece is 100% legit, they may be bit by the collecting bug and want to see how affordable the whole jersey would cost. They do some searching, find this awesome board crawling with folks who are willing to share all kinds of great information and see that yes, they CAN AFFORD a real game used jersey. Why pay hundreds of $$$ for a 1/1 piece when they can have a jersey for that same price, maybe just a little more. Then BOOM, they become a game used collector and our hobby becomes a little bit bigger and stronger. Exactly what our hobby needs, more collectors.

Now let me say I don't agree with cutting up the greats jerseys, Mantle, Williams, Ruth, Jim Brown, Wilt and those guys. No way, no how. But with today's guys, we can afford to have a few cut up. We all know there are enough ARod jerseys to go around and still be able to sacrifice a few without it causing a shortage. So have at it I say, cut up all the new jerseys and bats you want because they are making more every day.

I guess I am just trying to see the silver lining to the cloud, but that is just my nature.

I think it is safe to say that to see these videos sucks for everyone here in the forum, from a collector's point of view. Since I am relatively new to this industry and to this community (I have only purchased one game used NBA jersey) I would like to know something from the veteran collectors here:

From one jersey that they cut up in tiny pieces how many cards can be produced and at what price do the card companies sell them? (take for example that Wilt Chamberlain or the Bill Walton jersey)

What do you think is their profit margin on one of this jerseys by selling cards and not the entire jersey during an auction for example? I would estimate that almost all of these jerseys would go for at least a couple $10k and I don't see why "collectors" would give away a couple of hundreds of $$$ to earn a tiny piece of game used jerseys? Is it really that profitable from a business standpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by bambelbitz View Post
    From one jersey that they cut up in tiny pieces how many cards can be produced and at what price do the card companies sell them? (take for example that Wilt Chamberlain or the Bill Walton jersey)
    In all seriousness, when did Wilt Chamberlain wear number "5"?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post

Hasn't worn #5 since high school.

Wilt used #13 while in Philadelphia. Guy Rodgers already wore #5 before Chamberlain joined the team.

Only could be these 2 players who wore #5 during this timeframe.
    Steve Courtin
    Paul Neumann
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Does it really matter who wore the jersey? Or whether it's ever been worn at all? All long as the buyer is happy, that's really all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Does it really matter who wore the jersey? Or whether it's ever been worn at all? All long as the buyer is happy, that's really all that counts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

Maybe it's me. But once you sell something you have zero control what buyer does with it. If you like it so much, then you would have kept it instead of turning it into cash. Oviously the cash meant more to you than keeping the jersey. So if you know someone buying it was working for card company and the jersey was going to get cut up you would turn down offer and sell for less? How do you know that buyer then could just sell it again and it could still get into card company hands. With how often jerseys get moved and sold. No telling where some end up.

With how often people bitch about too many jerseys of modern players. To me it's no big deal some of them get cut up. Helps people who are keeping them in their collections. So it''s not all bad. I would think a lot of Favre, Sanchez, AP, LT jerseys have been butchered. But still plenty of those still around and tucked away in private collections.

I am now a disgruntled card collector because of this shameless decision of chopping up vintage jerseys and bats. In some cases it is akin to chopping up a priceless work of art. The pieces become junk. I am ok with taking these bats and jerseys from current players unless they are of a historic nature because there is just so much current inventory out there. Take the jerseys that the player is wearing today as they are wearing several during the year but don't cut up history. It is just extremely sad to see this happening time and time again to one of a kind historic and priceless artifacts.

John Jimenez

http://www.freewebs.com/gmoney168/baseballtradelist.htm

Re: Card Companies and "Game Used" Cards

The practice of cutting up historically significant game used items is nothing short of a friggin' TRAGEDY and if you buy this garbage and help perpetuate this practice you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Period.