Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Re: Post Your Photo-matched Game-used Items Here

With help from others I had found out that this is a photomatch:

Reasons Why:
    • The patches on the right side of the jersey are stitched higher than on the left
    • The "V" doesn't touch the piping
    • The spacing between the buttons and the patches match perfectly
    • The "A" matches up perfectly where it is stitched on through the piping
    • The yellow stitching on the smaller part of the tomahawk lines up perfectly to where it lines up with the piping
    • The spacing between the "S" and the tomahawk match up perfectly

i'm always interested in learning more about photomatching techniques. as such, i'd appreciate if the folks who helped kyle out could please help me to understand how they came to their conclusions. namely:

- "The patches on the right side of the jersey are stitched higher than on the left"

how was it determined that the misalignment of the left/right portions in the photos was a genuine misalignment as opposed to one side of the jersey being pulled up/down during action? many jerseys have the front logos cut into 2 portions. the slightest move or bend will naturally cause one end to become misaligned with the other. considering that jordan wasn't photographed with his jersey perfectly flat and straight, how was it confirmed that the misalignment wasn't due to a stretching, bending, etc?

unless the player is perfectly straight and the jersey flat, i'd think it'd be pretty difficult to find a pic where the logo portions line up perfectly. that is, in pics they'll usually appear misaligned if the player is engaged in any sort of action. see pics below. plenty of misaligned portions.

- "The "V" doesn't touch the piping"

i don't understand what this means. the "v" is literally on top of the piping. what am i missing?

-"The spacing between the buttons and the patches match perfectly"

can someone please tell me how this was determined?

- "The "A" matches up perfectly where it is stitched on through the piping"

as seen in the photos below, it seems many of the braves jerseys in 1999 had the A sewn in this exact location.

"The spacing between the "S" and the tomahawk match up perfectly"

kyle, how was this spacing determined?

at any rate, here are some random photos of braves jerseys of 1999. none of them are from brian jordan:

kyle, as you know, the photos you posted are from spring training 2000. while it's entirely likely the braves carried over some 1999 jerseys, i'd be interested to know if your 1999 jordan shows any remnants of a sleeve patch? in '99, the braves wore the hank aaron 715 patch.

rudy.

Banned

Rudy-
    No slight to those who provided info on this jersey, however, in my opinion, quite a few people on this Forum do not understand what "photo matching" entails or actually means.

For example, when you can determine that the pinstripes and the NY match a photo, or a blood stain on a jersey matches that in a photo, then that's a "photomatch". Just because a player is wearing purple Nike batting gloves on a baseball card or in a photo and a fellow Forum reader has similar purple gloves, this is not a "photo match". There have been so many posts here on "photomatching" that are not even close, it leads one to believe that the term is simply not completely understood.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    i'm always interested in learning more about photomatching techniques. as such, i'd appreciate if the folks who helped kyle out could please help me to understand how they came to their conclusions. namely:

- "The patches on the right side of the jersey are stitched higher than on the left"

how was it determined that the misalignment of the left/right portions in the photos was a genuine misalignment as opposed to one side of the jersey being pulled up/down during action? many jerseys have the front logos cut into 2 portions. the slightest move or bend will naturally cause one end to become misaligned with the other. considering that jordan wasn't photographed with his jersey perfectly flat and straight, how was it confirmed that the misalignment wasn't due to a stretching, bending, etc?

unless the player is perfectly straight and the jersey flat, i'd think it'd be pretty difficult to find a pic where the logo portions line up perfectly. that is, in pics they'll usually appear misaligned if the player is engaged in any sort of action. see pics below. plenty of misaligned portions.

i don't understand what this means. the "v" is literally on top of the piping. what am i missing?

as seen in the photos below, it seems many of the braves jerseys in 1999 had the A sewn in this exact location.

at any rate, here are some random photos of braves jerseys of 1999. none of them are from brian jordan:

kyle, as you know, the photos you posted are from spring training 2000. while it's entirely likely the braves carried over some 1999 jerseys, i'd be interested to know if your 1999 jordan shows any remnants of a sleeve patch? in '99, the braves wore the hank aaron 715 patch.

rudy.
    Sorry if it isn't a photomatch. I simply thought it was since a lot of things matched up and I was supposing just if not 1, then just a couple jersey's were worn in spring training.

while it's entirely likely the braves carried over some 1999 jerseys, i'd be interested to know if your 1999 jordan shows any remnants of a sleeve patch? in '99, the braves wore the hank aaron 715 patch.
    Yes, I do know for a fact that it was carried over from 1999. The Hank Aaron patch was removed and the MLB logo was stitched onto the back (in '99 they didn't have the MLB logo, while in 2000 it was required for all MLB teams).

I was comparing the jersey to a picture of Jordan during the 2000 season where the picture showed him wearing a home jersey that had the right side stitched more upward, unlike my jersey. I didn't know that a lot of Braves jersey's are stitched that same way a lot.

Sorry for the confusion on that; I was talking about the first loop in the V. I've seen some pictures where the V touches the piping and others don't.

It was simply by looking at it. Just like from that other post a few days ago, where someone was trying to photomatch a Yankees road World Series jersey, and the buttons were off by a lot. I'm not saying that they are 100% matched up to the exact millimeter, but it just looks like a pretty good match to me, considering how far away the picture was taken.

I didn't know that at all. I was just trying to match every single part up, incase there was anything at all that wouldn't have been a match. Ya never know, it could've been stictched on a centimeter to the left or in some other direction

Just like I said a few comments above, it was just a pure guess and just by looking at it, it looked to be stitched in the exact same spot. Plus I had seen a few other pictures where the S is a little closer towards the tommahawk.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    There have been so many posts here on "photomatching" that are not even close, it leads one to believe that the term is simply not completely understood.
    Howard, you are exactly right. Even if the player gives you his jersey after the game, and you have a photo from that game...its still not a "photo-match". Board burns, puck marks, repairs, loose threads, grass-stains are the best ways to accurately analyze a photo and compare it to a jersey.
    If a jersey was bought from MLB or the NFL with an actual game date assigned, that isn't nesessarily a photo-match to any photograph from that same game.
    However, a definite photo-match is worth way more than any LOA.

i know the issues of what truly constitutes a photomatch have been discussed at length, but a good part of me thinks that if a person doesn't have an inherant understanding of what constitutes "accuracy", then they'll never understand photomatching or its issues. to some people, 1mm is the same thing as 1.2mm. to others, the two are clearly different.

if you honestly feel that you can look at 2 entirely different images (different sizes, different angles) and, without compensating for the differences, doing any calculations to discern the measurements, or even employing a ruler, you can simply use an unaided glance to state that 2 elements match up "perfectly" based solely on a guess, then you've tossed the whole concept of accuracy completely out the window.

the entire point of a photomatch is that you've almost entirely eliminated the likelihood of the jersey in hand not being the jersey in the photo; that it leaves almost no doubt. think about what it really takes to eliminate that much doubt. it means eliminating issues like the fact that tons of braves jerseys are sewn identically or that the human eye can't easily discern the difference 1mm and 1.5mm which is the level of measurement we're talking about with the jordan photos. i fail to see how simply glancing at something and, without arriving at any numbers or do any calculations, stating that something "looks pretty good" or "matches perfectly" can really lead to an accurate conclusion.

anyway, here are a couple of posts from grob that i think do a nice job of illuminating some of the issues with photomatching:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/37997...18/Mensuration

http://www.network54.com/Forum/37997...ge/1108903557/

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=2061

kyle, truth be told i think you were looking at the right things. for all i know, the jersey is a genuine photomatch. however, my issue is that the conclusions didn't seem to have anything solid to back them up. no numbers, no measurements, no ratios, nothing. to me, "perfect" and "exact same" mean perfect and exact same. you can't discern such subtleties (from different angles no less) simply by taking a "pure guess". a "pretty good match" isn't a photomatch. i have plenty of jerseys that are pretty good matches. in fact, i can't see any differences between them and photos. however, the lack of a unique marker prevents from me eliminating the likely possibility that the photo is showing another similar jersey. until i can completely eliminate that possbility, i can't call them photomatches. in order to be accurate and conclusive, i'm not going to be able to eliminate that possibility simply by guessing or relying on my unaided ability to visually discern miniscule measurements.

in my experience, unless a non-pinstriped jersey has some completely unique markers like stains, torn threads, or one-in-a-million manufacturing defects (eg: "angels" being spelled "angles"), it's extremely difficult to photomatch. the sizing of the front logo isn't enough. there are dozens and dozens of jerseys pumped out, many of which have perfectly identical front logos.

rudy.

Re: Post Your Photo-matched Game-used Items Here 1968 Braves need help

1968 Braves bat boy jersey and photo

Hi Group

This is an interesting find. Alittle while ago I bought a picture of Hank Aaron with the bat boy (this is an unpublished picture). Recently the same person who sold me the picture decided to sell the jersey that was in the drawer next to the picture. As you can see the jersey in the picture was orginally sewn together due to the boy being so small for it. The jersey I have is a proper button up one with the same lettering and style as the pictured one. (Noticed the letters were moved over on the one in the picture to compensate for this. This jersey has no compensation for this. I believe that this jersey I have was used perhaps in later in the season or the following year? Would love to talk to the bat bay if anyone knows how to get ahold of him. No luck with the people I bought the picture and jersey from. (The chest of drawers came out of Atlanta, Georgia) The whole chest of drawers was filled with baseball memoriblia. Balls mainly. I did pick up a nice baseball signed by the 1971 Braves team signed baseball that also has members of the gas house gang on it? (Terry Moore, Frank Frisch, and Dizzy Dean) I guess that is another story.

Thanks

Jason

What a great find thanks for sharing

I can't believe this! I was looking at some 2006 David Ortiz photos that I saved and think I found a photo match.

The game photo of Ortiz hitting a double is from 9-29-06 vs Orioles.

I made the last two photos larger and brighter.

I found three clear matches on the bat:

The cleat marks on the left barrel area, the tar less area just below the silver ring and the dark pine tar on the lower handle (made darker from the black palm area of his leather batting gloves)

Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    I can't believe this! I was looking at some 2006 David Ortiz photos that I saved and think I found a photo match.

The game photo of Ortiz hitting a double is from 9-29-06 vs Orioles.

I made the last two photos larger and brighter.

I found three clear matches on the bat:

The cleat marks on the left barrel area, the tar less area just below the silver ring and the dark pine tar on the lower handle (made darker from the black palm area of his leather batting gloves)

Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Bobby
    Bobby, nice photo match!