Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vintage Ty Cobb Pocket Mirror

Anyone ever seen this one before? Picked it up off of ebay recently.

Re: Vintage Ty Cobb Pocket Mirror

Can you post a pic of the back. Based on the creases around the rim, it looks recently made.

Ahhhh...I just deleted the photos from my computer and the auction no longer shows the pics....I think it's definitely old...not sure how old...the edges of the rim are rusted and they don't appear to be tampered with....I also picked it up off a very reputable dealer. If I get a chance tomorrow I will take pics of the reverse.

I should add that the laminate appears to be celluloid and I'm not sure how someone would get hold of that today.

Is it a straight pin, or does it move under a clasp like the newer pins. I'm not sure how you can test if it's celluloid. If you look at the right side, you can see an edge of the photo. It may be a cut from a book or old periodical. I'm just trying to look at all the options for you to consider on the pin. You should send a photo of it to the ebayer springdale59. I think you will get a definate rulling if he replies.

Mike H

FYI, I just looked through Muchinsky's book and there isn't one single player pinback in the entire book from Cobb's playing days.

This is a pocket mirror, not a pinback.

Here's a shot of the mirrored side:

My mistake sorry. I don't know beans about mirrors. Who made them and when?

Mirrors like this were popular in the early 1900's up to the 1930's...If i had to guess I would say this was not mass produced, but someone who liked Cobb had it made...probably late 1930's.