Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Show off YOUR game used baseballs...

I don't have any pictures currently of my baseballs, but all the game balls that I have are significant to Frank Thomas.

I've got one bp homerun baseball, game used mlb certified balls from his 2000th hit game, 1500th rbi game, and 500th hr game. I also own three of his homerun baseballs #'s 13, 327, and 440.

wade

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Just a few special Washington Nationals balls in my collection including 1 signed by President Bush. I will update after the season as I am going to add a dozen more. I have 2 significant HR balls so far by Ryan Zimmerman and Alfonso Soriano!

Attachment 29063
    Sweet Zim ball

Ten years ago I bought a ball from Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation, used in the 8/19/99 game between the Cards and Cubs. It was the first and only time that season (and more significantly, the last time in their careers) where Mac and Sammy would hit home runs in the same game.

One of the many things I respect about Tony LaRussa is his appreciation for baseball history. He recognized the 8/19 game as the symbolic end of the McGwire/Sosa chapter of baseball history by taking this ball out of play and having both men sign it.

What makes the ball special to me is that, several weeks after receiving it, I opened my mailbox to find a letter from Tony, written by hand, talking about the ball and describing it as the only one of its kind. Truth be told, the letter means more to me than the ball.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Just a few special Washington Nationals balls in my collection including 1 signed by President Bush. I will update after the season as I am going to add a dozen more. I have 2 significant HR balls so far by Ryan Zimmerman and Alfonso Soriano!

Attachment 29063
    Hey Andrew,

Being a registered Republican my whole life, I would have said "COOL!" about your George "W" signed ball if today were about 7-8 years ago.

Today? I'd play "fetch" with it in the backyard with the dog. But I won't get "political" here....

Nice Zim and Soriano balls, for sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Ten years ago I bought a ball from Tony LaRussa's Animal Rescue Foundation, used in the 8/19/99 game between the Cards and Cubs. It was the first and only time that season (and more significantly, the last time in their careers) where Mac and Sammy would hit home runs in the same game.

One of the many things I respect about Tony LaRussa is his appreciation for baseball history. He recognized the 8/19 game as the symbolic end of the McGwire/Sosa chapter of baseball history by taking this ball out of play and having both men sign it.

What makes the ball special to me is that, several weeks after receiving it, I opened my mailbox to find a letter from Tony, written by hand, talking about the ball and describing it as the only one of its kind. Truth be told, the letter means more to me than the ball.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Rick,

I have to say, of just "regular game-used baseballs" that aren't an actual hit of a pro player, or home run ball......that is the cream of the crop for sure! Just an awesome collectible. And you are correct.....the "Tony La Russa letter" that you have regarding it makes it what it is....nice pick-up!!

Congrats,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by WadeInBmore View Post
    I don't have any pictures currently of my baseballs, but all the game balls that I have are significant to Frank Thomas.

I've got one bp homerun baseball, game used mlb certified balls from his 2000th hit game, 1500th rbi game, and 500th hr game. I also own three of his homerun baseballs #'s 13, 327, and 440.

wade
    Wade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're KILLIN' me dude!!!! PLEASE sell me one of those home run balls!!!!! I'm on my knees begging you!!!

Steve

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Hey Andrew,

Being a registered Republican my whole life, I would have said "COOL!" about your George "W" signed ball if today were about 7-8 years ago.

Today? I'd play "fetch" with it in the backyard with the dog. But I won't get "political" here....

Nice Zim and Soriano balls, for sure!!!
    I've also been a registered Republican my whole life, and a "W" signed baseball would be a grail to me, given his Presidency, his status as a huge baseball fan, and his stint owning the Texas Rangers.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Rick,

I have to say, of just "regular game-used baseballs" that aren't an actual hit of a pro player, or home run ball......that is the cream of the crop for sure! Just an awesome collectible. And you are correct.....the "Tony La Russa letter" that you have regarding it makes it what it is....nice pick-up!!

Congrats,

Steve
    Thanks Steve. It's a nice item, but it's not the ball hit by the Spendid Splinter for his only slam of the historic 1941 season, inscribed in Ted's own hand. Now THERE'S a game used ball.

By the way, my post says 8/19 but the correct date is 8/14/99, as written on the ball

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Just based on the past few posts, I have to put this one up - not GU - and I'm not Republican or Democrat... I'm an Independent... but just to have ANY U.S. Presidential signed ball is cool, so here's mine:

Got this done here in Denver when he was speaking at one of the local High Schools during his campaign.

Really wanted it in Ball Point, but due to his popularity, his staffers keep him stocked in Sharpies.

- Chris

Now I've shown off my 'Presidential' Ball, here are my two main GU gems...

The 1st one I got from a friend's shop that use to be in Lewisville, TX (Bunt, Punt & Dunk - owned by Ken Greene) that he got directly from Nolan. He would buy a dozen Ryan AU balls directly from Nolan each year he was with the Rangers to have in his shop... at the end of the '93 season, Nolan sent him a dozen - 9 unused and 3 GU. No other cert or provenance, but Ken was a stand up guy and I have no reason to believe the ball is other than what i was reperesented to me as 15 years ago...

And this one was a GIFT to me from my Best Friend of 30+ years for helping him through a hard time... I met him in Tucson for Spring Training 2 years ago at my brother's house and he stopped me at the door and told me he had something for me and gave me this:

MLB CERT and Texas Rangers CERT with LOAs from The Rangers Foundation AND the Ryan Foundation...

Two PERMANENT Pieces in the collection...

- Chris