Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Fan in Boston gets g/u bat taken away

You are 100% correct...back in 2001-2003 they were buying the bats anywhere between 35-45 if I remember correctly directly from the bat companys.

Here is MLB info if someone wants to give them a phone call.

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info..._mlb/index.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by Mauer7 View Post
    That Dodgers rep is full of crap. The players don't buy their own bats. The TEAM buys them. I know this for a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    Mattmueller is still correct on this theft theory. The Dodger person said the player would probably LET HIM KEEP IT. The operative phrase here is LET. If the player or team own the bat it is theirs. They decide whether they want to give it away or not, but it is THEIR DECISION to let a fan keep it or not, not the fan's. A bat a player tosses into the stands accidentally is not being given away. The player or team CAN give it away, but they don't HAVE to. Squeeze talks about the player throwing his bat at a fan. The player is not throwing his bat at a fan. He accidentally let go of it. If a player threw his bat at a fan it would be assault or attempted assault. When the Rangers Frankie Francisco threw a chair at a fan in Oakland several years ago he was filed on for assault and convicted. If a player was signing autographs before a game for fans and had his glove under his arm as some do and accidentally dropped it into the stands a fan would not have the right to say "its in the stands" and run off with it. The same with a bat that accidentally goes there. A player can give a glove or bat or anything else to a fan. But a fan cannot take something that is not given. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great for fans to get to keep the bat and I hope that is what most teams do. I saw Josh Hamilton throw a bat far into the stands at a Rangers game this year. The fan got to keep it and the usher only came over to check to be sure no one was hurt. That was GREAT! But if security comes to get a bat and you fight them for it you are going to find your "possssion is nine tenths of the law" is pure fiction. I really advise against getting in a fight as you are likely to face serious criminal charges with no valid legal defense.

cjclong.......WHERE did I talk of a player THROWING A BAT AT A FAN??? Every reference I have made has been consistent, and in the same manner and context....."A player at bat flailing a bat into the crowd" meant accidentally losing his grip.

Partner, I would never instigate a fight over ANYTHING with security, let alone a bat. I just wouldn't let go simply because a security personel was insisting I do, for reasons stated earlier.

The rest of your point, although correct, is rendered meaningless to my discussion based on that alone. Please, no need to bring up the "glove" dropping into the seats scenario again. I have stated more than twice I am ONLY referring to baseballs and bats entering the seats.....NOTHING else.

Look, I called Dodger Stadium, and Anaheim Stadium for answers. Until Brian Hillerich tells us otherwise (that in fact the teams pay for the bats), then I'm sticking to what I was told by representatives of the MLB franchises.

I totally agree with you on your other comments.

If a player is walking by the stands and a gust of wind blows his hat off and it lands on someone's lap in the first row, does it mean the person gets to keep the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgersfan View Post
    You are 100% correct...back in 2001-2003 they were buying the bats anywhere between 35-45 if I remember correctly directly from the bat companys.

Here is MLB info if someone wants to give them a phone call.

http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info..._mlb/index.jsp

WHOM......was buying bats directly from the bat company's......the players, or the team?

Were they "team index" bats?.....or directly for the player whose name was on it? You guys keep throwing out bits and pieces of "fact", but can't connect the dots. These halve-truths or piecemeal tidbits just add to the confusion. And therfore this thread is getting off track.

Your link is helpful for.....what exactly? I called two MLB front offices and got my answers. I shared them with you. It appears it was like sharing roasted turkey with a house full of Vegans, but I tried.

Jim Tyler, Baltimore's clubhouse man, says the team orders 11-12 dozen bats a season per player; it was half that amount 20 years ago. The cost of bats for the team has risen 50% over the last five years, traveling secretary Phil Itzoe says.

here is the whole story.......

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...okenbats_x.htm

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    WHOM......was buying bats directly from the bat company's......the players, or the team?

Were they "team index" bats?.....or directly for the player whose name was on it? You guys keep throwing out bits and pieces of "fact", but can't connect the dots. These halve-truths or piecemeal tidbits just add to the confusion. And therfore this thread is getting off track.

Your link is helpful for.....what exactly? I called two MLB front offices and got my answers. I shared them with you. It appears it was like sharing roasted turkey with a house full of Vegans, but I tried.

Here is some other info from the internet.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4185230AA09qje

Rudy

I thought I remembered your using that phrase about a player throwing a bat at a fan from the previous thread on the same subject, If not, I was incorrect, but the reasoning stands. If you have something and lose it it doesn't belong to someone else baring a great passage of time in some cases. I would love to catch a bat at a Rangers game from Hamilton, Young, Pudge or Andrus and if I do I certainly hope I get to keep it and will hang on to it until I am told by someone in authority I can't. You were so vehement about "from my cold dead hands" that I wanted to warn you and everyone else that it is not worth it to get in a fight with ballpark employees if they demand the bat back because you could wind up in serous legal trouble. That said, I hope your favorite player tosses a bat your way some time and you get to keep it.

More at stake for bat makers
    There were ramifications for bat manufacturers in the new regulations, too.
    Their license fee to MLB was raised to $10,000 from $5,000 to help with research expenses. And they were told to increase their liability insurance to $10 million from $5 million, which was a substantial increase in premiums. As a result eight of the 32 licensed bat makers last year have dropped out, with five new ones signing up.
    In addition, manufacturers raised the price of their bats — Louisville Slugger to $95 from $67 — and those costs go to the bottom line of the team, which buys bats for its players.

here is the whole story.......

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ple-bats_N.htm

The Dodgers,sorry.

Game issued bats directly from the bat manufactures with the players name on them.
    I was in Mike Nygrens/Ex director of merchandise for the Dodgers when some of the bats use to come via UPS.

Hope this helps a bit?

Rudy