Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Giambi released by A's...

So because he did'nt want to take part in a stubid home run derby.That makes him not a "good guy".Maybe because he was'nt playing in the game,he thought it would be a waste of his time.Maybe he did'nt want to take part in the stubid contest so he could spend the break time with family and friends.And he felt that was more worth his time than to take part in the stubid contest.That he realized how stubid and pointless the home run derby is.And felt that spending time with his family during the break is better than giving up his break to take part in batting practice.As that's all the stubid thing is.I mean why don't they just have the guys measure themselves.I have no idea what the home run derby proves.WOW,you can hit a home run having a pitcher pitch it right where you want it.Takes no skill at all.Anyway,that's another topic.I think it's silly to say he is not a good guy because of this.I realize it was at yankee stadium and it was the last all season of the stadium and blah,blah,blah.But those fans can see him play in a game.Why would they need to see him in a completely nonsense contest.Just a very silly arguement.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    I'm not sure if Giambi was one of the "good guys" of the game. I'll never forget when he got the chance to be in last years HR derby despite not making the All Star team, and rejected the opportunity because he wouldn't be on the team, and left all Yankee fans with their fake mustaches disappointed.

If a team thinks he's going to continue to play poorly, they'd rather give the time to an up and coming minor leaguer. Each team has a AA or AAA who can do better than bat .193 and can use the experience.

I agree with that.But was'nt there a time when everyones favorite cal ripkin was batting really bad and his team still played him.Now before all you ripkin lovers get on me.I'm not comparing them,i am comparing the situations.Where ripkin's team,put the needs of the team behind a individual record and player.And the a's could have done the same thing for giambi.They could have played him and see if he could hit his way out of it.And made a decision at the end of the season.I mean he derserved a less embarrassing way to end his career.But i agree with you,you have to hit better than that if you want to play in the majors.And he has proven he is better than that.I just they could have given him the respect to see if he could be that player again for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If a team thinks he's going to continue to play poorly, they'd rather give the time to an up and coming minor leaguer. Each team has a AA or AAA who can do better than bat .193 and can use the experience.

I think the A's were generous in offering Giambi a contract in the first place. Given his sharp decline in New York (which just so happened to coincide with his being caught in this steroid scandal), I think he was lucky to have been offered a chance to start for any team. His production this year, or lack thereof, was more than enough reason to cut him.

Baseball's a business and I can probably name a half dozen others, who haven't been implicated for cheating, who have been treated worse by their teams. Giambi might be a nice guy, but he cheated and it's hard to imagine him having the career he enjoyed, without the illegal substances he used during his prime.

I wish Giambi all the best and if he happens to catch on with a contender down the stretch and can contribute, more power to him. But nobody in Major League Baseball owes him a thing. He's made many millions of dollars playing a sport he enjoyed. While he might have been polite to fans, I wouldn't want a sub .200 hitter on my roster, let alone starting at first base. When you consider the harm he (and many others) have done to the game, I find it difficult to join the Giambi pitty-party bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    I agree with that.But was'nt there a time when everyones favorite cal ripkin was batting really bad and his team still played him.Now before all you ripkin lovers get on me.I'm not comparing them,i am comparing the situations.Where ripkin's team,put the needs of the team behind a individual record and player.And the a's could have done the same thing for giambi.
    Hey Joba, I hate to break it to you, but Cal "Ripken" never was hitting under the Mendoza line after 83 games...Giambi had 73 strike outs this year and Cal's highest strike total in a season was only 78 ....Oh, and don't forget that Cal could also help the team win with his defense as well (there wasn't one pitcher on the Orioles staff that didn't want the ball hit to Cal in a big situation).....Not the same situation at all...No matter how you sliced it, the Orioles were always a better team with Ripken in the lineup (can't say that for the A's)

Banned

As much as I would like to see some team pick him up before the season is over.

Here is something to think about.

Frank Thomas is still waiting to be picked up and no one has.

..I think jobathenut's got it right-and I'm pretty sure at the time he declined to participate,that Giambi had mentioned to interviewers that he was looking forward to spending the break home in Nevada.And who can blame him?He had already won a derby and I'm sure at this point in his career he needed the rest more than another title-and I'm also sure he would of been killed in the NY press had he participated and then had his numbers spiral down even worse...

Just my .02...
    Joe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Oh,and don't think the A's were as generous as they appeared.No matter what else Giambi is,he is still EXTREMELY popular in the Bay Area and they were gonna milk that for all they could.First stadium giveaway of the season?a Giambi schedule poster..he's also on a schedule magnet,the yearbook cover,and a bobblehead being given out on 8/21 (which I hope they still give away!).So Oakland was definetely looking to put asses in the seats..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Well...I guess I'll never collect on the GU cap he promised me during his first stint with the A's and ducked out on giving to me (I traded him a matted Mickey Mantle advertisement from the 1950s).

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Dave, what is your email address?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carlevv View Post
    Dave, what is your email address?
    ballhawk396@hotmail.com

Dave M.
    Chicago area