Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wells Blasts "Juiced" Bonds

Wells blasts Bonds as he passes Ruth

By: RANDY MILLER (Sun, May/21/2006)

PHILADELPHIA — Boston Red Sox pitcher David Wells admires Babe Ruth so much that he once bought a game-used Ruth hat and wore it while pitching a game for the New York Yankees.

And on the day Bar-ry Bonds finally caught Ruth for second place on the all-time home run list, the outspoken Wells stuck up for his hero by trashing Bonds for being a suspected steroids user.

“He's hit a few home runs off of me while he was juiced,” Wells said of Bonds before the Red Sox-Phillies interleague game at Citizens Bank Park. “He hit a lot of them when he was juiced. He's a hell of a ballplayer. A lot of players hit home runs when they were juiced.”

When word broke that Bonds hit his 714th homer during a San Francisco-Oakland interleague game, Wells went into a 15-minute rant about Bonds and steroids.

“They'll all say Babe's number is legit and Barry's is not,” Wells said. “He's admitted he said he took it but unknowingly. I think that's a crock.”

Wells began naming names of suspected users — Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire — then out of nowhere brought up Astros second baseman Craig Biggio and Phillies spare outfielder David Dellucci.

Asked if everybody under suspicion now, Wells said:

“Now, everybody is, I would think. Did you see that little bitty guy, Dellucci, hit 29 last year? How many this year? One? I know Dave. I've never suspected him of doing them. Who else? Biggio. ... To me, the suspicion is on everybody.”

A 5-foot-11, 195-pounder, Dellucci hit just 27 homers in 541 career games from 1997-2003, then 46 over 235 games the last two seasons, including 29 in 2005 for the Texas Ran-gers.

As for Bonds, Phillies pitcher Cory Lidle is on record saying his career home run total should have an asterisk.

Wells disagrees ... for now.

“Not until proven guilty,” Wells said.

“If he cheated as a player, that's just as bad as being a scab.”

Re: Wells Blasts "Juiced" Bonds

For those of you who don't remember what the first line is referring to- see below...

» June 28, 1997: Yankees' P David Wells starts the game against Cleveland wearing Babe Ruth's autographed cap from the 1934 season. Manager Joe Torre makes him take it off after the 1st inning since it doesn't conform to the team's current uniform. Without the cap, Wells blows a 3-0 lead as the Indians go on to a 12-8 victory

Banned

Boo hoo for Cory Lidle and Dave Wells.

They should take their paychecks and check their big mouths at the door.

I tell you what, if they put any of those asterisks by any records from this era, I'll write The Commissioner and ask they they put the asterisk back over the Roger Marris now-broken record.

Oh wait, they did once determine, "A Season is A Season".

Does anyone realize what was just displayed above? Bonds admitted to using steriods-but not knowing he did. Well,how long did he use it unknowingly? Take that length of time and subtract HR's(as well as strikeouts)and whats the total? If I get extra money in my paycheck(and didn't know it)-I'm not guilty to a point-but I have to pay excess money back. Right? You bet your ass I'll be paying it back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4
    Does anyone realize what was just displayed above? Bonds admitted to using steriods-but not knowing he did. Well,how long did he use it unknowingly? Take that length of time and subtract HR's(as well as strikeouts)and whats the total? If I get extra money in my paycheck(and didn't know it)-I'm not guilty to a point-but I have to pay excess money back. Right? You bet your ass I'll be paying it back.
    Dream on, he wasn't breaking Bud's rules if he did take any drug that affected his play. Baseball didn't outlaw the use of Steroids (with enforcement) until what, last season?

A season is a season, Barry Bonds has tied Babe Ruth's career home run total and he may break the all-time Major League Baseball record set by Henry Aaron.

Life will go on, and nothing will be done about it.

Joel,

And possession of and/or use of steroids without a (legitimate) medical prescription is now (and was when Bonds' career started) a federal crime. I'm not really sure how defenders of Bonds can keep trying to say that the rules of baseball override those of the federal government in regards to defining what is and is not a federally-mandated felony.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    Joel,

And possession of and/or use of steroids without a (legitimate) medical prescription is now (and was when Bonds' career started) a federal crime. I'm not really sure how defenders of Bonds can keep trying to say that the rules of baseball override those of the federal government in regards to defining what is and is not a federally-mandated felony.
    Ok, let me know when Ferguson Jenkins will be removed from Baseball's Hall of Fame after his run in with marijuana and we can talk some more about drug use in America and in Major League Baseball.

Otherwise, don't waste your fingers typing a reply, because you are telling me a guy who abused marijuana during his playing career is ok to be a member of the Hall of Fame, but a guy who used another illegal drug should be hung by his balls and maybe even have his arms chopped off because he will hit more home runs than The Babe?

Nice double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    Ok, let me know when Ferguson Jenkins will be removed from Baseball's Hall of Fame after his run in with marijuana and we can talk some more about drug use in America and in Major League Baseball.

Otherwise, don't waste your fingers typing a reply, because you are telling me a guy who abused marijuana during his playing career is ok to be a member of the Hall of Fame, but a guy who used another illegal drug should be hung by his balls and maybe even have his arms chopped off because he will hit more home runs than The Babe?

Nice double standard.
    Federal law is not the point here, did pot make Jenkins a great pitcher?....NO, did gambling make Rose the all time hit king?....NO, did steroids help Bonds hit homers?........still thinking........YES!!!!! Bottom line, whether innocent or not, whether he knew it or not, Steroids gave Bonds an unfair advantage over Ruth or anyone else, and the almost 1000 more at bats didn't hurt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trsent

Nice double standard.
    I'm fairly certain that smoking dope does not enhance your game (makes you sluggish and hungry...eat bad food...get fat). I'm fairly certain that taking steroids does (increased muscle mass...quicker recovery time from injury). Yes, a double standard applies here, because, if the evidence we've all seen is correct, Barry Bonds took performance enhancing drugs for the specific purpose of setting the all-time home run record.
    A double standard does apply here, just like it does to the deliberate sale of fake "game used" merchandise...and well it should.
    Barry Bonds was a much more interesting player, to me, when he was a slender 30/30 guy than he is in his current, bulked-up, freak show incarnation. I've no wish to remove any of his body parts. I just wish he'd go away...

Groundhog day.