Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Worst Price You've Paid for Game-Used Item?

Hey, I'm relatively new here so I don't know if this has been covered before but I thought it'd be interesting anyway. What's the worst price you've ever paid for a jersey/bat/etc. that was game-used? Or in other words, what's the one situation where you were seemingly ripped off in buying one of these items?

I ask because I suddenly realize one situation I was in where I basically blatantly overpaid, that being about $250 for a Ruben Quevedo autographed 2002 game-used Brewers jersey. If you never even heard of Quevedo, that's understandable, as he was 14-30 over his career with an ERA that I'm sure baloons over 5.00. If I could make a defense of this ridiculous purchase, though, it would be that A)For some odd reason, he's one of my favorite pitchers, B)There was actually another bidder who stuck with me around the $200 mark, C)It's autographed and really nice with the Miller Park all-star patch, and D)It has MLB authentication AND came with Mears authentication that scored it an A10. Come to think of it, it's the only game-used of Quevedo I've ever seen.

Okay, after all that, maybe it wasn't so bad at that price, although I feel like I still could've got it for at least a hundred dollars less.

So anyone else have any similar stories of paying a lot more than they really had to?

Re: Worst Price You've Paid for Game-Used Item?

can you please post photos of this jersey?

thank you.

It's always a double-edged sword when you're a player collector (or in my case, a collector of a team that was only around fro two years). I have had to politely pass on more than one Houston Gamblers item because the prices were simply too high. It would be a different story if I were rich and had cash to spare, but I have a limited collecting budget like most of you.

When Gamblers items enter the auction circuit, they usually sell for very reasonable prices in my opinion. Most often, its the private collectors and businesses that are looking to sell things for much more money than an auction would bring.

I'm not sure where the magical "line in the sand" is... I guess I look at each item I find on a case by case basis. Paying ten dollars for a five dollar item isn't the end of the world, but paying $500 for a $200 item....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

hmmm this post got me thinking about my collection.

back in 2003 I picked up a Frank Thomas 2002 Game Used Away Jersey. I paid about $2300 for it. Not sure If I can get my money out of it. It is still a nice jersey though.

For me, it's a toss-up between $4000 for a Mark Prior game used glove and $3000 for a Nomar Garciparra Cubs jersey. If nothing else, the Prior glove is a cool "what could have been" Cubs momento.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Not at all in the thousands or anything like that, but at the time I really wanted to add a Wily Mo Pena bat to my collection. Found one that was hammered with tar, grass stuck to it, dirt, taped handle, and signed. Perfect bat, just the fact that I paid $150 for it was a little bit of the bad part. About $100 higher than what you would expect for a Pena bat, who by the way got released from the New York Mets AAA today.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

$1500 for a Sammy Sosa bat used to hit 2 HRs off of Curt Schilling.

I paid $45 for a Carlos Baerga bat that was terribly cracked. I fixed it the best I could. And it has another player's name and number on it. So looking back I probably paid about $30 too much. It is sitting in the corner of my bedroom and I have to look at it everyday. Ouch.

Scott

I forget the exact price, but the range was 65-75 bucks. Bought a pair of GAME USED Sheffield Yankee socks from ESM. Even autographed. Seriously...who buys used socks? Worst purchased ive ever made. Thats gotta be up there with the Arod jock that was for sale not long ago.

Hi,

$4k+ for a Cutler gamer. I still have it [was at the game when he wore it, etc] but with the trade to Chicago it doesn't mean as much as it once did.

Thanks,

Tom