Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Pink 2009 Mothers Day Bats on MLB auction

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    I think we all need to look at this auction as a way to help find a cure for cancer and not a way to walk away with steal of a deal on a bat. $300 or $3000 is a small price to pay to help save a life.

Bobby
    I hear what you are saying and I agree with finding a cure for cancer. For the record, I am officially against cancer.

To clarify, I am not trying to get a "steal of a deal" on a bat. Thanks for the accusation though. I'm merely suggesting that I believe many bats will go unsold at a $300 starting bid, because there will not be the demand for certain of the players, I saw that last year as well. Maybe the player, a friend, or relative of that player will step up, but the general collecting community will probably not.

I agree though, that this should be looked at as a way to help improve people's lives and I love this program and fully endorse the Komen Foundation expanding to Father's Day bats to create more opportunities to raise funds.

I donate money regularly to the Stowers Institute for Medical Research and get "nothing tangible" in return, so I may as well buy an over-priced bat for charity and I probably will. I donate to the Stowers Institute, because I know that every dollar that goes to the Stowers Institute goes directly to funding the operations of an exceptional entity whose sole purpose is cutting edge medical research.

Also, I go to a lot of fund raisers for local animal shelters, Boys & Girls Club, etc, and regularly overpay for sports memorabilia in their silent auctions to help support those charities, most of them have the sense to start at a lower value and let the bidders take it from there. The more interested parties you have, the more bids you will get. More bids generally means a higher realized value.

So I agree with your premise that we should and will overpay because its benefitting a charity, but my point was, I think they'd be more successful if they lowered the starting price on some bats and got more people interested in bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    I think we all need to look at this auction as a way to help find a cure for cancer and not a way to walk away with steal of a deal on a bat. $300 or $3000 is a small price to pay to help save a life.

Bobby
    Thank you, Bobby! You are a fine gentleman. I was in a trial for Tykerb - a new breast cancer drug for men and women. Took 6 pills per days ... at $23 each! I think that ends up being roughly $4200 per month.

Thanks to all for buying and bidding on bats!

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Interesting that there are 2 bats by several players. Lots of x-bats too. I guess they got multiple pink bats from x-bat and LS and tried to use them all.

Matt
    I think I remember reading on Justin Morneau's website that he had four this year.

ian kinslers bat says Cinn reds on it????why?

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...unbr=106753309

From his newsletter:

JustinMorneau.com and BWP Bat Company have partnered to offer a limited edition collectible benefiting a great cause. For the next ten days, fans have the opportunity to bid on pink Justin Morneau bats. Each bat is the same model Morneau used in the Mother's Day game on May 10th.

BWP supplied Justin with two pink bats for game use. The bats offered here are the only others manufactured. Each bat is hand-numbered on the knob.

A portion of the final auction value will be donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Breast Cancer Foundation!
    Thanks to all who bid in the 2009 JustinMorneau.com BWP pink bat auctions! The final eBay bid amounts are below:
    • 1 of 9 - 232.50
    • 2 of 9 - 102.50
    • 3 of 9 - 127.83
    • 4 of 9 - 102.50
    • 5 of 9 - 107.50
    • 6 of 9 - 113.39
    • 7 of 9 - 129.39
    • 8 of 9 - 139.39
    • 9 of 9 - 145.39
    I think one of the game used bats was to go to his mom and the other one to MLB auction. But there are 9 others that were auctioned off that weren't game used and 10 others made. Nine were auctioned and one went to a contest winner on his site.

All this info is just a heads up that there are bats 10 extra Justin Morneau/Andrea Sinclair bats out there that could be doctored to try and sell them as game used.

oops ... typo.

Audra Sinclair not Andrea

After looking at all other brands pink bats, Louisville Slugger is by far the nicest presentation piece.

What do you suppose will happen if the pink bats dont sell off MLB auction?

Looking For A Mientkiewicz Or A Swisher Pink Bat? henmick44@optonline.net

Quote Originally Posted by grenda12 View Post
    What do you suppose will happen if the pink bats dont sell off MLB auction?

Last year for the lesser players, I thought they drop the starting bid price by $50 or a $100 if there are no bids. Do not plan on that for sure, but occasionally MLB.com lowers their price if an item is not selling.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.