Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your "15 minutes (seconds!) of GU fame...

I thought it would be fun to start a thread for all of us to share a moment we were captured on TV, in a highlight, on ESPN Sports Center, your local 11:00 news......whatever, in the game used hobby we are in.

Here's mine...

It was last year.....at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers were playing the Arizona Diamondbacks on September 6, 2008. I started the game in the left field bleachers, in search of ManRam's 521st home run (if he were to hit it). Well, he did, but to right!

So I made an impossible trip around the stadium to get a ticket to get in the right field bleachers and into the face of the fan who caught the ball.....a story all in itself for another time.

But....a funny thing happened to me while I was over there....

Some of you may very well remember the incident. The Dodgers, facing Brandon Webb and in the very game the Dodgers knocked him out (Manny's 3-run homer against him), then got up again while I was talking to a security guard down the right field line..

All of a sudden, he hits ANOTHER drive to right, so I told the security guard "I'LL BE RIGHT BACK!"....and ran down the stairs, and back up in the direction of the ball.....and Justin Upton had a bad dealing with "Mr. Sun"....

I am the guy in the blue Dodger cap and white Nike t-shirt.......

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/me...ent_id=3428494

PLEASE share your 15 minutes of fame too!.....or, like in my case.....3 seconds!!

Re: Your "15 minutes (seconds!) of GU fame...

suicide-This is a fun thread.And great story,but would like to hear the other one about you getting into the face of that fan.Anyway,i don't really have any cool stories like that.But heres a couple of mine.Me and my brother go to our local college hockey games,and we go to almost every home game.Well in 2008 we decided to go to a road game.We taped the game as we do all the games,and when we got home we just happen to decided to watch the game.And all of sudden we both looked at each other as it dawned on us that we were watching us on tv.There was a delay in the game so they were shwoing fans and we were on the screen for a good 3-5 mintues.Which was funny cause we werent even aware it was us until it went off us.And we had to rewind the tape and see if it was us.And the funny part, the next day they had a annual skate with the team and get autographs show.And me and my brother were down there before the doors opened.In the lobby it was just us and 2 other guys with thier kids.And then one of the guys came up to us and asked,"hey,were'nt you guys on tv last night at the game"?.Needless to say me and my brother were blown away,and my brother said "yeah",i guess we're famous.And we laughed.And the other claim to fame was in 2006,me and my brother went to cleveland to see our yankees play,and during that famous game on the 4th of july we have blocked from our yankees minds.We had seats first row outside the first baseline and i was taking a picture,and the woman sitting next us,told my brother,"your brother is on the diamond screen".And sure enough i was,and i actually have a couple of pictures of me taking pictures of the diamond sceen while on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread for all of us to share a moment we were captured on TV, in a highlight, on ESPN Sports Center, your local 11:00 news......whatever, in the game used hobby we are in.

Here's mine...

It was last year.....at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers were playing the Arizona Diamondbacks on September 6, 2008. I started the game in the left field bleachers, in search of ManRam's 521st home run (if he were to hit it). Well, he did, but to right!

So I made an impossible trip around the stadium to get a ticket to get in the right field bleachers and into the face of the fan who caught the ball.....a story all in itself for another time.

But....a funny thing happened to me while I was over there....

Some of you may very well remember the incident. The Dodgers, facing Brandon Webb and in the very game the Dodgers knocked him out (Manny's 3-run homer against him), then got up again while I was talking to a security guard down the right field line..

All of a sudden, he hits ANOTHER drive to right, so I told the security guard "I'LL BE RIGHT BACK!"....and ran down the stairs, and back up in the direction of the ball.....and Justin Upton had a bad dealing with "Mr. Sun"....

I am the guy in the blue Dodger cap and white Nike t-shirt.......

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/me...ent_id=3428494

PLEASE share your 15 minutes of fame too!.....or, like in my case.....3 seconds!!

When we clinched the division in 2003 playoffs, I made a catch of a foul ball nearly off the ceiling in the Dome and it was on national & local TV. By the time I got home, my answering machine was full of calls from people all over and people I hadn't seen in years. The next season it was used as part of a Twins' commercial played during every televised game. And it was replayed during every home game on the big screen as an ad for the bottom of the 4th inning where if you catch a foul, the player that hit it will sign the ball.

I also had taken a picture of Herb Carneal, our HOF broadcaster, and he was very fond of the photo. When he passed away, the family used that photo on his funeral memorial, and the Twins' and family used it for the publicity shot for the news of his passing. Saw my photo on all major news networks and sports networks, and on the large marquee outside the Dome, in the video tribute they made of him, in the Mpls Trib. full-page memorial ad, and on the cover of the Twins' memorial magazine. Now it is part of a print to recognize the last year in the Dome. It was quite an honor.

One of my best buddies at the Twins games found a Michael Cuddyer baseball card with him in the background!

I was n TV behind Alain during the Canucks/Islanders game this season. I taped the game and I am clearly seen.

Too bad they screwed the pooch and lost to the Blackhawks. This years team was awesome
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Do I detect a mullet in Dodger Blue?
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

It was 2005 and Barry Bonds was injured most of the year but would return in September to play a few games and so he made a historic trip to Washington DC which is a stadium he had never played in as this was the 1st year of the Washington Nationals.

In RFK Stadium, the 1st 2 rows were called the homeplate suite and I purchased it in anticipation of Barry possibly playing which he did and he hit a titanic HR to the upper levels of right field.

As soon as the pitch was delivered I was already standing and pumping my fist just as Barry swung. This Bonds HR was replayed many many times on ESPN hence with me in the background got a lot of air time.

I think it was Barry's 708th career HR.

I am in the far left in the blue shirt in the picture.

Name:  bonds_HR_9_20_05.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  bonds_HR_9_20_05d.JPG
Views: 641
Size:  362.8 KB

PS - A buddy and I just auditioned for a new baseball themed movie starring Owen Wilson and Reese Witherspoon which will have 2 weeks of filming in Washington DC and at Nats Park so if I get a part in that movie maybe I get another 2 minutes of air time. The film is currently titled "How Do You Know?" .
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Easter Sunday in 06 Mets played the Brewers I was sitting in the 2nd row with my wife behind 1st base.Carlos Delgado hit a home run in the 8th inning.When I got home and watched the ESPN highlights right before his home run with a runner on 1st you can see me in the backround taking a picture with my camera.

That same season I was sitting 7 rows behind the Mets dugout at Citizens.My boss taped the game for me.You can see me throughout the game sitting with my wife taking pictures.That is my claim to tv fame.
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Andrew,

Very cool picture and memory. I was at that Nationals / Giants game sitting about 15 rows behind you. It remains the longest homerun I have ever seen in person. If I recall, Bonds, in the middle of the steroids controversy, was being jeered loudly prior to each at bat. Once the ball left his bat, RFK Stadium became eerily quiet as the ball rose into the upper deck.

JP

Hi,

Wasn't me so much as it was my stuff....A month ago or so the Denver Post did an article on the uniform history of the Denver teams [Broncs, Nugs, Avs, Rockies] and my '67 Steve Tensi jersey was used for the large, center page photo for the article.

Thanks,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    Do I detect a mullet in Dodger Blue?
    ...No mullet, chakes, but I do wear my hair a bit longer than the norm.

I have always had a good mane and am proud of it, so I guess I could be referred to as a 70's throwback type.....the male version of "Farrah Fawcett".....God bless her.