Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Question about 70's and 80's memorabilia

Quote Originally Posted by ryan4fregosi
    This poses a good sidebar question -- what would be an acceptable cutoff date for something to be considered "vintage"? 1950? 1960? 1990??
    In the store people come in all day and ask if we are buying sports cards. I keep telling them we are aggressively buying older cards and they usually reply, "I have old cards from the 1980s and 1990s".

Needless to say, vintage for me (and it doesn't mean people can't post 1970s or 1980s stuff in this forum) is 1960s and back.

I guess being born in 1969 has something to do with that, but I figure if it is older than me it is vintage!

My question on vintage stuff is, who's going to collect it 10-20 years from now? I'm 28 years old, and for some reason love old White Sox flannels from the 60's (Pete Ward, Joe Horlen, Carlos May etc etc) but none of my fellow Sox friends are interested in that stuff, they like current stuff (Thomas, Guillen etc) the guys they see at the park day in and day out. So who's going to be buying older flannels, bats etc in the next 20 years? I almost feel now is the time to dump all that stuff and get current stuff that people my age will want 30-40 years from now, since they will still be alive, unlike collectors of 50's-60's stuff. I just see the guys buying the older stuff, as "older" fans. They grew up in the 40's-60's and those are the players they liked. When there gone who carries on the torch for those old jerseys?

There will always be demand for older items...most of the people on this board collect stuff that is way older than they are. If I were you I certainly wouldn't be selling off the older stuff to buy the newer stuff.....but that's me and every collector is different.

Jeff- You love the older WS flannels, so please don't dump them just becuase you think you can make a buck or two years down the road on other stuff.

I am a collector, not an "investor". I collect stuff because I love it NOW...like you do. I don't buy crap that doesn't interest me just because It may make me a few bucks down the road. Some may call me foolish, but I love what I do TODAY..so who can argue with that.

If you are considering selling for financial reasons, you are making a huge mistake. The newer product supply will always exceed demand. You know how tough it is to find the Sox jerseys from the 60s today. It will be much harder in the future. Nobody alive saw Mike King Kelly or Cap Anson play, yet anything and I mean anything from those players is golden and always will be. Players today go through dozens and dozens of jerseys. Players from the past used few jerseys and those were sent to the minors when the guys in the bigs were through.
    Another consideration is this. Most of us begin as collectors of our favorite team or player. As we grow in the hobby, we start gaining appreciation for history and older players. Most of the advanced collectors are students of the game and history. I can't say they are always more sophisticated, but that is a bit of a trend I've seen. They also tend to have some extra cash. They aren't investing in Ozzie Guillen jerseys. If the Sox stink in five years, nobody will be buying those shirts. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Jackie Robinson etc, aren't going to strike out, get busted doing something illegal, or piss the press off. Advanced collectors know this. Ask the guy who paid over a million bucks for the McGuire, Sosa, and Bonds balls how many offers he's received to purchase them. They are worth less than a 100th what he paid. Scarcity, novelty, and history drive value for the most part. Older is almost always more valuable (assuming like condition). I don't care if A-rod hits 800 home runs, a Jimmie Foxx game jersey will always be worth 10 to 20 times more.
    Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the new stuff. I have some new stuff and assume we all do. But, do not think that just because one of your or my buddies who know squat about baseball history want a Frank Thomas jersey that a common player from the 60s isn't going to be a better long term investment.

One other thing. There are an amazing number of vintage collectors under 40. I just turned 40 but have collecting vintage since 1979. Most of my hobby friends are younger than me, and all have very impressive collections of amazing vintage material. I'll start a new thread on age right now.

Another question you should ask yourself is: How many collectors are saying "Boy, I wish I had purchased five more sets of 1987 Topps, a Mike Greenwell jersey (one of my favs at the time), and one of those Ken Griffey game used bats instead of these crappy T206 cards of players I've never heard of, that stupid old Tris Speaker decal bat, and that ugly photograph of those yahoos wearing bib-front jerseys and those goofy pill box caps"?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mjkm90
    Another question you should ask yourself is: How many collectors are saying "Boy, I wish I had purchased five more sets of 1987 Topps, a Mike Greenwell jersey (one of my favs at the time), and one of those Ken Griffey game used bats instead of these crappy T206 cards of players I've never heard of, that stupid old Tris Speaker decal bat, and that ugly photograph of those yahoos wearing bib-front jerseys and those goofy pill box caps"?
    Amen

Every collector is different, but you make a lot of good points Mike...those 60's Sox jerseys are not easy to come by and will never be easy....an Ozzie Guillen jersey??? Probably not easy, but certainly not difficult.

Jeff if you aren't interested in the 60's stuff I would recommend that you put it away for a while and not do anything with it....if in a year or so you still want to get rid of them then go for it....Just remember that it won't be easy to get back.

I agree with everything everyone has said. I just don't see the intrest from my age group 20 somethings bidding/buying the old stuff, but I'm happy to hear that some of us will carry on the torch of collecting flannels and etc.