Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Purchase Foul or HR Ball in the stands

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If you had the game ticket and proof you bought the ball (check?) that would be reasonable evidence of authenticity, as who would pay $60 for ball at the ball park that was not game used?

With all due respect, I don't know of any fan who would be crazy enough to accept a "check" for a home run ball they had just caught or run down... for obvious reasons.

The only way you are going to separate a fan from a baseball piece like that is too stick cold hard cash in the form of $100.00 bills in his face.

There is no instant gratification in a "check". What guarantee would the fan who gave up the ball even have that the check would clear? Why would he want to place himself in the position of having to track down a bum who gave him a bogus check for a home run ball he could have kept?

Just too many "issues" with the scenario.

Just a word of advice to anyone going to a game in search of a homerun ball......bring a wad of cash, or forget it.

Suicide -

I agree with you that getting the Inscription is ALWAYS worth it... unfortunately, all three players you used as examples are well know for their bizarre behavior, bad attitudes, etc...

I have 4 GU Items that I had signed in person and Inscribed (except for one) by the players and each one was very easy going...

The 1st one is one of my prized possessions in my Matt Holliday Collection - Matt's GU 2007 WS Hat... Matt knows me pretty well and when I presented the hat to him with the LOA from the Rockies, he said he was happy that I had the hat since he knows how much of his stuff I collect and inscribed it 1st WS 2007 Game Used!!!

The 2nd one is a Set Smith GU WS Hat (maybe the one he was wearing just before putting on his batting helmet to be the last out of the 2007 WS)... I took it to ST in 2008 with the LOA from the Rox and Seth started laughing and checking the hat out (along with Joe Koshansky) and then asked me how in the hell I obtained his GU WS Hat. I told him I bought it directly from the Rockies DugOut store and he said he alwasy wondered what happened to their stuff the last game of the season! He then signed and inscibed it Game Used.

3rd is a Garrett Atkins 2004 Hat w/ the Flag patch which means it is from Labor Day weekend when Garrett was recalled from the minors after their season ended in August. I took it to ST this year with the Rox LOA... as Garrett was going to the Locker Room, a few guys were calling for him and he was ignoring them - I mentioned I had a GU Hat, he turned around, came over, looked at it and the LOA, signed it - no inscription - never said a word, signed a crad for the guy to my L and signed a ball for the guy to my R and then left. He's a very interesting player - doesn't say much and is very aloof about signing in general.

Finally, my most recent - a GU Batting Glove from Dexter Fowler... I asked Dex on Opening Day and finally one day out back of Coors Field, he pulls over and throws a glove to me (he said he has to find the mate in his truck)... the next day, he stopped to sign for some guys and I had him sign the glove and asked him to inscribe it... he started laughing about the GU inscription and I told him it was going in the collection. He was like 'cool' and signed and inscribed it...

Every player is different and unique, that is for sure...

- Chris

Banned

Of those $20 home run ball purchases I mentioned earlier in the thread, the best was a fairly early (c.1996) Sammy Sosa dinger at Wrigley Field. A semi-homeless guy ran it down on Waveland Avenue, and a bleacher fan called down to offer him $5 for it. I was in the adjacent family section, and shouted down an offer of $20, and made the purchase through the left field gate of the ballpark.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I said "(check?)" not "check." At least I didn't say credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I said "(check?)" not "check." At least I didn't say credit card.
    David,

Gotcha. Wasn't intending to do anything other to let everybody know the "cash" avenue is the way to go.

The best thing is pictures. Properly establish documentation and recording of the event through pictures and written documents....get witnesses. Those types of proof are tough to discredit.

Chris (express34),

Cool items, and yes, you've definately picked the correct hombres to obtain your inscriptions from. Sounds like the model citizen's group in MLB.

That was my main point earlier. In our fine hobby, the higher up the food chain you get in players, the tougher the "inscription" attempt is going to be.....and the more expensive.

Add to that the "event" you are trying to get them to notate, and it can approach downright "impossible" without father-LUCK on your side with some of these guys.

In my case, I am not attempting to have them essentially "authenticate" a game worn item by them for many games, or even a series....but an actual ball they hit out of a park for a specific homerun. That is a stretch on their part to take the leap of faith that what I, as a collector, am presenting to them is real, and most of these superstars don't like to be put on the spot to sign it as such and authenticate it on such short notice and with lack of time to properly review the circumstances, paperwork, and such.

But that is what makes our hobby so fun. On those rare occasions we achieve the goal and get what we set out for, it just makes it that much sweeter when we go home and place another "museum piece" in our display. To me, there is NOTHING like having these little bits and pieces of game used items (with major significance) that tell a story, that are a little part of a major leaguers career, something to illicit a nice conversation with friends and family over the years while having a beer or get-together.

Cheers to our hobby and the athletes (and fans who like the cash ) who make it all possible!

Thanks joelsabi-yeah,but he really still gets mad,so when i do it,i have to prepare to be hit by him.And you're right,i bet as soon as my brother left hi,he was regretting doing it.I think he thought cause my brother offered so much,that it was worth something,and it was,to my brother.I can bet you anything the guy does'nt even know where it is now.Where my brother would have treasured it.Unlike what micheal douglas said in the movie "wall street","greed is good"is not always true quote=joelsabi;143140]great story. its always nice to able to have a memory that ribs a brother. i bet the other guy is regretting not taking that $300 now.[/quote]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    Thanks joelsabi-yeah,but he really still gets mad,so when i do it,i have to prepare to be hit by him.And you're right,i bet as soon as my brother left hi,he was regretting doing it.I think he thought cause my brother offered so much,that it was worth something,and it was,to my brother.I can bet you anything the guy does'nt even know where it is now.Where my brother would have treasured it.Unlike what micheal douglas said in the movie "wall street","greed is good"is not always true quote=joelsabi;143140]great story. its always nice to able to have a memory that ribs a brother. i bet the other guy is regretting not taking that $300 now.
    [/quote]

That happened on one of my trades at New Comiskey Park, as my offer to a mom and her 4 kids for a Juan Gonzalez home run (she had 4 kids) was initially rejected by the mom under such pretenses. Fortunately, she gave in when the kids whined about not each having a baseball as opposed to sharing only one.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Joel........Pro's and con's on the issue....

If you go meet someone of Manny's stature, walk up to him and say "Hey Manny! Nice to meet you! I have three of your home-run balls here I'd like you to sign"....Then pull out the pictures, all of the supporting paperwork, ticket stubs....

All of a sudden, they find themselves overwhelmed with becoming put in a position of having to make an on-the-spot decision of whether or not this pile you just dumped in their lap is authentic. There is severe risk in that, because if they cop an attitude (like Barry Bonds does in this circumstance), he may flat out refuse to sign the item with the inscription. Or, he may ask for a bunch more money because of what it is... which to me would be worth it.

But in rare cases, the player may refuse to sign it at all. In that case, you're screwed....even though you know it's real, and you have all the supporting proof. What you have to do is talk to people in line ahead of you that have already had him sign something....get a "feel" of what kind of a mood he's in, etc. Sometimes, it's all about catching the player on a "good day".

I have had a tough go with Willie Mays on a home run bat of his I own, one that came with a lettle (on Giants stationary no less, signed by Willie Mays attesting to the bat's use to hit the identified home run!) but after three attempts, and well over $2,500.00 cash offered to him, I got him to sign (on one occasion) the bat, and a separate occasion to inscribe it! I believe it's the only documented home run bat of Willie's in the hobby.
    But that's another story...and man, it was a nerve-racking battle. But in the end, Willie knew the whole time where the bat came from, what it was......he was just holding out for the "cash".

So....to anyone who is made of money, if you really want that one fine piece to add to your collection.....the old addage "everyone has their price" is usually true. Just be prepared to anty-up, because these guys can really catch you off guard if you are presenting them with a piece that has value. They usually know this, and they make you pay! But getting the player, if you can, to add the inscription Joel??.....is priceless. In the end, it's ALWAYS worth it, because you've just added another wonderful piece to this hobby we all love.
    Suicide Squeeze, good luck getting the balls signed. 1) Manny rarely makes public appearances. Last I know of was in 2004 right after the World Series in Boston 2) Odds are highly likely that you will get a sloppy MR signature. I have had stuff signed by Manny and its just a sloppy, rushed signature.

I dont know how other collectors feel, but I personally want my game used items unsigned. With Manny items, it is even more important not to have them signed as it detracts from the item.

For proper authentication at ball parks, one should bring checkbook, notary public and video camera.

sox83cubs84-How much did you offer for the ball? I just think the $300 my brother offered was pretty good for a molitor home run ball.You figure getting game used baseballs was not that big of a collectible back then.And to us being kids,we thought that was alot of money and we really thought the guy would go for it,not to mention my brother explained to the guy what a big molly fan he was and how much the ball would mean to him.It takes a real peice of work to not sell the ball after being offered that and being told that.All i know if i was at a game and someone offered me that much money for a ball,(if it was from a player i didnt like) i would have no problem selling it to them,not to mention if i knew they were a fan of the player.

That happened on one of my trades at New Comiskey Park, as my offer to a mom and her 4 kids for a Juan Gonzalez home run (she had 4 kids) was initially rejected by the mom under such pretenses. Fortunately, she gave in when the kids whined about not each having a baseball as opposed to sharing only one.

Dave M.
    Chicago area[/quote]