Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Doesn T Vick Deserve A Second Chance?

Per the Maddoff comment - should have read DIDN'T Drunk Drive or Kill anyone...

(LOVE the Post Edit Features here!!! )

I give to animal charities and have had pet dogs all my life, and think Vick should be given a second chance.

Duly note that I believe one gives forgiveness to whose who sincerely ask for it, not those who don't. People would often say in past years "Pete Rose has suffered enough, it's it time we forgive him for lying?," even though Rose was continuing to lie (a fact he later revealed), much less never asked anyone for forgiveness. At the time, forgiveness was neither asked for, nor deserved.

Re: Doesn't T Vick Deserve A Second Chance?

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Michael Vick is a moron who lied when he got caught so he went to jail. The guy promoted dog fights. Sick? Yes, very, but his punishment was set and now he should look to return to his line of work and rejoin society when everything ends in a few months.

He didn't get caught killing humans, he didn't get caught dealing or abusing drugs. He got caught in a dog fighting deal that would have blown over if he didn't lie when first questioned about it.

So, he was punished, he feels rehabilitated and now it is time to find work in his field of expertise. Best of luck to him in his pursuit.

I just finished an issue of Sports Illustrated from 1983. The issue or so before had a great article about Howard Cosell. The letters section in the back of the magazine tore SI to pieces for the piece. People just hated Cosell. No difference here - People don't want to let a guy who was punished for his non-human life threatening crime come back to society? Why? He is a moron, but he deserves a chance to fail again in the NFL.
    So if I worked for you and one night I decided to go on B&E (Breaking and Entering) Spree - no threat to life, no weapons - and ripped off house after house and got caught, you'd just hire me back after I served my time??? RIGHT...

I'm guessing you don't own any animals either... we're not just talking about KILLING a defenseless animal - we're talking about SEVERELY ABUSING IT to make it want to kill other animals and then if it can't do the job after you've mistreated it for months (if not years) on end you CLUB IT TO DEATH (no gunshot - CLUBBED - where's the mercy???) because it 'failed' you???

And the crime would not have blown over - it's a FELONY crime, not a misdemeanor... so Vick isn't 'just' an Ex-Con, he's a FELON.

Hell man, OJ was AQUITTED of Murder - which means he 'did his time' in the Court of Law... would you hire him???

I have NOTHING against Vick rejoining Society... I have EVERYTHING against him being HANDED the Keys to the Castle on a Silver Platter simply because of who he was...

Denny McClain was busted for WHITE COLLAR Crime - NO Hurting or Killing of ANY Animal or Human - I didn't see the MLB lining up to offer him a chance to play again... oh, that's right... that was back when we weren't scared to speak our minds (i.e. Politcal Correctness) and everyone that did something wrong paid the FULL price... they weren't fed the BS that society somehow failed them and therefore owed them something when they finished serving their time.

And it's arguments like these FOR the THUGS and GANG BANGERS in the NBA and NFL that make me continue to watch MLB. They may not be perfect, but at least their is a set policy with the 3 strikes and you're out... I don't read stories about MLB players pulling guns in Strip Joints or Choking their bosses, etc., etc... Just like th epeople pulling for what's his head from the Giants who shot himself with his own gun in the night club... everyone thinks he should just be able to come back to the NFL - he didn't commit a crime against anyone - but he did committ a FELONY in the State of New York!!! You or I would lose our job and be in jail already. Same should apply to EVERYONE.

- Chris

In other words, forgiveness is for the repentant not the unrepentant. How much the still unrepentant was penalized is neither here nor there as far as forgiveness goes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    So if I worked for you and one night I decided to go on B&E (Breaking and Entering) Spree - no threat to life, no weapons - and ripped off house after house and got caught, you'd just hire me back after I served my time??? RIGHT...

I'm guessing you don't own any animals either... we're not just talking about KILLING a defenseless animal - we're talking about SEVERELY ABUSING IT to make it want to kill other animals and then if it can't do the job after you've mistreated it for months (if not years) on end you CLUB IT TO DEATH (no gunshot - CLUBBED - where's the mercy???) because it 'failed' you???

And the crime would not have blown over - it's a FELONY crime, not a misdemeanor... so Vick isn't 'just' an Ex-Con, he's a FELON.

Hell man, OJ was AQUITTED of Murder - which means he 'did his time' in the Court of Law... would you hire him???

I have NOTHING against Vick rejoining Society... I have EVERYTHING against him being HANDED the Keys to the Castle on a Silver Platter simply because of who he was...

Denny McClain was busted for WHITE COLLAR Crime - NO Hurting or Killing of ANY Animal or Human - I didn't see the MLB lining up to offer him a chance to play again... oh, that's right... that was back when we weren't scared to speak our minds (i.e. Politcal Correctness) and everyone that did something wrong paid the FULL price... they weren't fed the BS that society somehow failed them and therefore owed them something when they finished serving their time.

And it's arguments like these FOR the THUGS and GANG BANGERS in the NBA and NFL that make me continue to watch MLB. They may not be perfect, but at least their is a set policy with the 3 strikes and you're out... I don't read stories about MLB players pulling guns in Strip Joints or Choking their bosses, etc., etc... Just like th epeople pulling for what's his head from the Giants who shot himself with his own gun in the night club... everyone thinks he should just be able to come back to the NFL - he didn't commit a crime against anyone - but he did committ a FELONY in the State of New York!!! You or I would lose our job and be in jail already. Same should apply to EVERYONE.

- Chris
    Chris, your comparisons if I would hire a guy or not are not fair.

Will The Atlanta Falcons offer him to come back? I doubt it.

Will other NFL teams find room for him to play for them? You bet!

Comparing OJ Simpson, Denny McLain and Michael Vick doesn't make sense. If football is strong enough to deny him work, that is their choice, but I can tell you, he has a right to apply for jobs in his field of expertise.

People can bash him forever, but he has a right to apply for work. If they decide not to offer him work - That is his loss, his mistake.

I'm actually always surprised about these discussions as sports has been and will always be about winning. Nothing else and no matter what. It does not matter if it is little league or the pros. We can debate about if he should be allowed to come back or not, but it simply does not matter. If someone thinks he can help their team win, he would be allowed to come back even if he murdered a person... Personally, he may have done his time, but does anyone really think he is even the slightest bit remorseful. Remorseful for being caught maybe, but not remorseful for committing the crime. He is a thug and will always be a thug, but hey... he did his time and had mad skills... Why don't we let some team hell bent on winning toss more money his way. Doing the time people does not mean that the person is rehabilitated, especially when they are going to walk right back out into the Brinks truck. Gee, just because he served his sentence, must make it okay though.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyla2000 View Post
    ..He did his time and lost everything!
    but he didn't lose everything. he's still alive isn't he? the same can't be said for many of his dogs.

imo, the punishment didn't fit the crime. put him in the ring with a couple of pits like he did to his dogs. if he comes out alive, then he earned it. if not, no big loss. he's just another piece of garbage; little more than a vile, repugnant idiot-child possessing every loathsome characteristic of the human species and even a few outside of it; completely bereft of any semblance of humanity, he seems suited for little beyond maggot fodder. if not for his ability to throw a ball and all of the caligulan proclivities that that ability enabled, it's hard to imagine he wouldn't have spent his life plumbing new depths of human depravity much like the other vick grotesque that his mother contemptibly unleashed unto society.

most of the dogs i've met were better "people" than many people i've met.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    So, the guy committed a crime, served his time and now he should be able to reenter society and continue his life, right?
    Joel, do you have any pets? I only ask because it will put some of your opinions in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    he's just another piece of garbage; little more than a vile, repugnant idiot-child possessing every loathsome characteristic of the human species and even a few outside of it; completely bereft of any semblance of humanity, he seems suited for little beyond maggot fodder. if not for his ability to throw a ball and all of the caligulan proclivities that that ability enabled, it's hard to imagine he wouldn't have spent his life plumbing new depths of human depravity much like the other vick grotesque that his mother contemptibly unleashed unto society.
    C'mon Rudy....don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

I actually agree with just about everything Joel is saying, and yes I have several pets. I have no problem with the guy wanting to play again. If a team wants to pick him up, I'd say so be it.

I dont think the man should be denied a job because he committed a crime. He served his time whether we agreed with the term or not. He wants to play again, he's qualified, and someone wants to give him a shot, thats their business.

Think about it too.... its not like he'll have much of a chance in the NFL anyways. He wasnt the greatest quarterback to begin with.