Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: AMI Auction: What Happened???

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsdad View Post
    He is what he is. We have all read his posts and have all drawn our own conclusions. AMI has already admitted not being able to pay their consignors yet they still continue to take consignments and people continue to bid on them now knowing that the consignors will not be paid. And Suicide Squeeze, in his posts, will buy their items knowing all of this. Enough Said. I am not a legal scholar, some would argue that I am not even a scholar but in my opinion that puts stolen property in your possession. You would not want me on the jury sitting in judgement of you. But to each his own. I, for one,will not participate in that. This is a hobby. Not bread on my table.

sarahsdad,

I was referred to buying maybe one....."possibly 2" items a year....if that.

Like I said, maybe you should reread the posts?

I will say I think that you finding anyone who bids on items in AMI's auctions (assuming you won one of them you meant.....right?) is putting stolen property in one's possession (the winner) is a fairly good laugh.

I mean.....please tell me you were kidding, weren't you???

Banned

I have said all I need to and am going to say. It is all yours now.
    sarahsdad

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Do you go out of your way to be arrogant and abusive towards those with differing opinions? Half of your posts seem intelligent and positive towards the purpose of the forum, but the other half only seem to exist to belittle those who don't agree with you. Maybe you might want to re-read what you've typed before hitting "submit," asking yourself "how am I coming across here?" I work with children all day long, and I wouldn't dream of talking to them like you talk to some of your fellow collectors.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

That's exactly why I don't talk to the forums members the way you talk to your children you work with, EWfan.....because the members here aren't children. I show them the respect they deserve by communicating on an adult level.

I have no problem with a differing opinion on anything. I welcome it, it usually conjures up stimulating intellectual conversation.

Usually.

Banned

I have to agree. Nobody should buy or sell from these crooks. They still owe me 22k from last September. I lost my Bird jersey to them; haven't got a red cent; had to hire a lawyer to try and salvage something. Many others in the same boat. Buying from them is like buying stuff on the black market.

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache Gang View Post
    Forum,

I was observing the recent AMI auction and noticed some of their top ten listings were bringing in some very decent bids. After the auction was over I reviewed the auction and noticed four of the top six listings were not listed as "sold"? They were as follows:

#1 Paul Hornung Jersey was in the neighborhood of $16K+
    #2 Terry Bradshaw was up well over $6K
    #5 Sid Crosby jersey
    #6 Harold Charmichael Eagles jersey was over $1.5K

Were these jerseys pulled?? or possibly did they not make a reserve. Not selling the Hornung and Bradshaw would make a dent in AMI's overall profit.

Mark
    Getting back to the original post and point of this thread, Moustache Gang, I actually called to inquire about one item because it too did not show as sold. I was directed to Keita, who told me "we'll need to fix that one too". She told me it had in fact sold.

What I took from that was that they were having technical difficulties in the way their system was posting the results.

I find that hard to believe.....but that's just me. Why does it work on most of the items, but on a select few...there are technical difficulties?

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

We collect game used/worn/involved items. They are non duplicative. They are one-of-a-kinder's. It's just not a wise decision, as a collector, to go to your auto "NO WAY" predetermined action towards items being offered by questionable sources if it fills a major void in your collection. That's a self defeating practice.

My point is, where do you draw the line in the sand that you absolutely will not cross?

You need to be objective, use common sense, and make clear educated and well-thought out decisions in each and every case. To throw a blanket statement that you'll "never" buy from an auction house because of this and that....just doesn't work.
    Sarahsdad drew the line that he is comfortable with. And you are criticizing him for it, as if he didn't already sit down and decide on his personal stance. Who are you to say he didn't appy common sense or make a well-thought decision.

I happen to agree with Sarahsdad. If I need to cross my moral or ethical grounds to obtain something for my collection, well then it is time to sell the collection.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    sarahsdad,

I was referred to buying maybe one....."possibly 2" items a year....if that.

Like I said, maybe you should reread the posts?

I will say I think that you finding anyone who bids on items in AMI's auctions (assuming you won one of them you meant.....right?) is putting stolen property in one's possession (the winner) is a fairly good laugh.

I mean.....please tell me you were kidding, weren't you???
    You know, hard not to interpret it that way. AMI doesn't pay the consignors but takes your money. That's theft, and your purchase really is essentially accepting stolen property.

I personally would not buy from any auction house operating as AMI presently is. I find it simply immoral if not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    I have to agree. Nobody should buy or sell from these crooks. They still owe me 22k from last September. I lost my Bird jersey to them; haven't got a red cent; had to hire a lawyer to try and salvage something. Many others in the same boat. Buying from them is like buying stuff on the black market.

Greg,

You are doing all you can do. And I wish you nothing but the best of luck in recouping what's rightfully yours.

I'm just curious, however. Have you considered what your chances would be of recouping your monies owed, if everyone followed your advice and just stopped buying (bidding) on their items cold turkey?

They would be forced to close their doors within a few weeks, one month or two at the most.

Is that really what you want?

You know, the funny thing is, I find myself in an absolute laughable position here. Some of the posting members here have had the twisted effect of making it seem like I am in one way or another standing up for AMI. You guys couldn't be farther off base. That's nonsense. If you ONLY KNEW what you were talking about......I'm on YOUR SIDES.

At the risk of sounding "arrogant and abusive towards" you guys, which of course I am not attempting to do in any way, shape, or form......I will state for the record:

I have NEVER consigned one single solitary item with AMI.....never.

I have my reasons, and they are not important to this discussion.

But for you guys that have been wronged in your dealings with them, and in a show of emotion and anger are now coming out and making statements that essentially are saying "GO OUT OF BUSINESS, and FAST!!!".....I think you need to take a deep breath and maintain a bit of composure here.

We are all pulling for you guys to get your money back. We would be disingenuous and deceitful members of this forum to suggest anything else.

I will also state this for the record:

If I had any ability to help ANY of you owed money for past consignments get your money back by stating something here that would help you in that endeavor, I would be doing just that.

So, I am using discretion on coming here and posting, while you are all in this compromised and unenviable mess, and am watching with a hopeful heart that it all works out for you. But I am suggesting to you as a friend (albeit an unknown one at that) to use your heads, to follow proper procedures in seeking payments owed, and not shoot yourselves while hunting. The hospital may be out of your blood type when you get there...

capisce?

I see both sides, Squeeze's and Sarahsdad's. If AMI had something I really really really wanted, something I felt I'd never see again (and they had one such item right around Christmas time,) I'd probably bid. But for all the people who have been screwed, these bids are just allowing AMI to continue, and people are paying for it in the wrong way. Sure, it's just a couple bids, Squeeze, but if everyone just puts in a "couple bids" and only several of us only win "just one item," well, that's enough to keep them afloat another month, which is another handful of consignors getting nada.

"I was referred to buying maybe one....."possibly 2" items a year....if that."
    You're enabling them, and saying "I've got mine" kinda stinks when so many others are getting empty promises or fraudulant items. I believe in karma, and while you and I aren't getting stuck with empty consignor promises, we're not the ones withholding their money, any bids we make are just helping those who are doing it. Somehow, somewhere, that will (and should) come back on us.

I think Sarahsdad has a point: if we ALL stop bidding, NOW, AMI will go under, which appears to be what they deserve (disclaimer: I've never been shafted by them, just going on what I've heard.) So a few choice items won't be available through them, so what? The items will pop up again somewhere.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

That's the way I see it too. It might not be your intent SS but it sounds like, "it's not really stealing if I don't do it very often." Or, "it's not really bad if I really want it." For me it would take the joy out of whatever I bought if I had to get it that way. But that's just me.