Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

O/T: Collecting Injuries

Is it just me or have any of you gotten injured while collecting? I admit these are embarrassing stories ... and I am not a "clutzie girlie-girl." A former purdie-dern good athlete in my time. But I share with honor and humilty two of my war wounds from collecting!

1. A sweet, mentally challenged girl used to sit in my section at Twins games. She LOVED Jim Rice. Her mom asked me if I could get a photo signed by Jim for a birthday present for her. Jim didn't sign much here but after the game I explained the situation to him and he said definitely he would sign before during BP the next day. So I go to an all night photo place, have the film developed, make an 8x10, get to the game early, etc. He sees me over the dugout and waves at me and says he'll be over in a minute. While waiting by the railing a kid cuts in front of me and bumps the photo on my clipboard, knocking it out of my hand and sends it flying at Jim Rice! Out of reflex, my hand grabbed to try and catch it and hits the railing breaking my middle finger and dislocating it from the knuckle. But what hurt worse was Jim thought I had gotten impatient and threw it at him! He signed it and gave me a bit of a dirty look and I tried to tell him no, that I dropped it and broke my finger and .... Well, I tried to stick it out with the pain - stayed at the game through six innings then had to leave and head to the hospital. Had to have surgery ... but the girl LOVED the photo and I got this story.

2. Grady Little (Cleveland days) knew I collected Cordova and said he'd save the dugout lineup cards for me and give them all to me after the last game in the series. Cool! After the last game he was handing them up to me over the railing and a lady who was a bit "soused" thought it was a free for all and tried to grab them from Grady as I was leaning over the railing -- same seat, same railing as "the finger" game!! So I stretched over the railing sorta quick to outreach her. Next day I can hardly get out of bed. Back to the hospital. I broke three ribs.

One of the Twins' ticket salesmen heard both stories and said that if I got the same seat the next year, they were going to make it mandatory that I wear a seat belt and helmet.

So, guys ... can ya top these game injuries????

Re: O/T: Collecting Injuries

But did you get the lineup cards?
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    But did you get the lineup cards?
    Doggone right I did!!!! No girl is gonna push me outta the way and I'll fight to the death and ....

By the way, I am six feet tall give or take a bit. And she was about 5'3 and no match for my athletic prowess ....

... and did I mention she was drunk? But I can guarantee you I felt worse than her the next morning.

I paid dearly for the free lineups ... and will do it again in a heartbeat.

What about the little kid?

Did he get a kick in the back for being rude?
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by cordovacollector View Post

One of the Twins' ticket salesmen heard both stories and said that if I got the same seat the next year, they were going to make it mandatory that I wear a seat belt and helmet.

So, guys ... can ya top these game injuries????

so what size helmet do you wear?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    What about the little kid?

Did he get a kick in the back for being rude?
    Honestly, it all happened so fast I never saw him coming and never saw him going ... never really felt my hand fly up. All I saw was Jim Rice's face. I turned and asked my friend next to me what the heck just happened and what happened to my hand?!? My friend said he thought he saw my hand hit the railing. I told the doc I didn't really know what I did. He said my hand went under the rail and my finger went over the rail and snapped it backwards. Then he said, "Oh, you'd have been so much better off if you'd just broken it staight off." (It still makes me green to think of it.) Nearly 10 years later it still hurts.

Do I get sympathy votes here?

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    so what size helmet do you wear?
    Queen size .... heh, I'm a lady, ya know!!

Think I'll wear a different one to each game and then send them to Dear Lou for an LOA as "Twins game ... worn." They should Rate a 10!!!!!!